Help integrating Satellite into a HTPC

do_i_neda_name

Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am doing some research on ways to integrate satellite into a HTPC and I am coming up short. I found CableCARDS but that does me no good. Has anyone found anything that at the vary lest can control the channels of a receiver to set up recordings so the PC can change channels on the receiver?

You need an IR emittor, available from multiple sources. Your HTPC should have a jack for it, and, assuming you are using Windows Media edition, you should be able to get the necessary remote codes from remotecentral.com.

Are you trying to get FTA or subscription channels? With FTA, there are plenty of PCI and PCI-express cards, some with 4 tuners. I have the TBS 6981, if I remember correctly. Otherwise, with subscription services, you'll need a capture card. I have the Hauppauge Colossus for HD. Included with that was WinTV which works well to change channels on the STB. I was using the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1800 when I had SD. Both include IR transceivers, and can learn from your remote. The FTA tuners and Colossus requires the use of middleman software such as DVBLink to get them to work with Windows Media Center. The nice thing about the FTA tuners is that you can watch ALL MPEG streams coming in on any tuned transport stream with the correct software.

This is an old thread, and the op hasn't signed in since march....doubt your question will be seen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts