Help! Local RSN's in HD (Lakers channel 652?)??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdbrad

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
First, I went to the D* website and punched in my zipcod (92694...........I'm in Orange County, CA about 40 miles south of Los Angeles) and the D* website tells me that I should be receiving L.A. Lakers games in HD on channel 652. Well, that has never, ever happened.........every Lakers game on 652 is in SD. BTW........I've got a 3LNB dish and a HR10-250 HD/DVR box. So, I call D* and the customer service rep is telling me "sir, you should be getting the Lakers in HD, if not.........go to channels 96 or 97 and you'll have the game there". Well, I've tried channels 95-97 numerous times and I've never seen a Lakers game on any of those three channels (only hockey ever now and then).

Can anybody shed any light on this? Thanks!

yup, i'm pretty sure those are mpeg4. i can't get channel 96 on my h10 that's currently in my bedroom, awaiting an upgrade!!

I may be way off base here, but I thought HD RSN required the 5LNB dish/MPEG4 setup?

That was also my understanding. The HR20/H20 with a Ka/Ku dish would automatically map the HD version to the same channel number as the SD version of the channel.

Not so fast my friends !!!!

When the original FSN's started to come out, I do not think it was a mpeg4 channel as I don't think that was up and running then.
Also keep in mind that he's in the LA market, NY and LA are a lot different than the resat of our markets, he very well may be able to get them with the 3 lnb as well.
The MPEG4 stuff does require the 5 LNB set up, but we don't know if his channels are suppose to be in mpeg4 or not.

You DO need the 5 lnb set up to get channels 96-97 as they are mpeg4

Jimbo

Not so fast my friends !!!!

When the original FSN's started to come out, I do not think it was a mpeg4 channel as I don't think that was up and running then.
Also keep in mind that he's in the LA market, NY and LA are a lot different than the resat of our markets, he very well may be able to get them with the 3 lnb as well.
The MPEG4 stuff does require the 5 LNB set up, but we don't know if his channels are suppose to be in mpeg4 or not.

You DO need the 5 lnb set up to get channels 96-97 as they are mpeg4

Jimbo

Nope. You are correct in the sense that more YES (NY market) and FSN West (LA market) games are selected for the mpeg2 catch all channel 95, but the full-time/every game HD RSNs have always been 5LNB/mpeg4 only.

Nope. You are correct in the sense that more YES (NY market) and FSN West (LA market) games are selected for the mpeg2 catch all channel 95, but the full-time/every game HD RSNs have always been 5LNB/mpeg4 only.

Right ! I also think there may be a few others as well, like the first to come on board other than the LA and NY ones.

Jimbo

If it helps, from http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=880397&highlight=

Customers who live within the RSN team territory and the spot beam area will also be required to have the H20 (MPEG4 compatible) HD receiver along with a five LNB dish to receive the RSN's HD programming. The HD games will be available on viewer channel 96 or 97 in each market, and the 24/7 RSNs will be seen on a separate channel that will have the same viewer channel number as their standard definition feed. For customers outside the spot beam, select HD games may be available on channel 95.

If it helps, from http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=880397&highlight=

Customers who live within the RSN team territory and the spot beam area will also be required to have the H20 (MPEG4 compatible) HD receiver along with a five LNB dish to receive the RSN's HD programming. The HD games will be available on viewer channel 96 or 97 in each market, and the 24/7 RSNs will be seen on a separate channel that will have the same viewer channel number as their standard definition feed. For customers outside the spot beam, select HD games may be available on channel 95.

Yes, the fulltime HD RSNs are delivered as part of the MPEG-4 HD locals package, only to the people who have the HD MPEG-4 locals for the "home" DMA. . For LA they all come off the 103 satellite and require a 5-lnb dish and the H20 receiver or HR20 DVR.

Hmmm,
I stand corrected, maybe that changed not to long ago, I know it didn't use to be on the mpeg4 originally.

Jimbo

LA locals are available twice, once in MPEG-2 and again in MPEG-4. The MPEG-2 locals are also used as "national" networks for those people in parts of the country who do not have OTA available to them, or who can get waivers. But the local RSN in HD is only part of the MPEG-4 package, it's not available in MPEG-2.

Last edited:
Yes, the fulltime HD RSNs are delivered as part of the MPEG-4 HD locals package, only to the people who have the HD MPEG-4 locals for the "home" DMA. . For LA they all come off the 103 satellite and require a 5-lnb dish and the H20 receiver or HR20 DVR.

I'm the original poster on this thread. Thanks to all for your help.

Ok, bear with me as I'm still a rookie at all this stuff. So, my understanding is that my HR10-250 3LNB dish will not enable me to receive my local RSN's in HD. If a DVR is a must for me, I'd have to upgrade to the HR20 and 5 LNB dish to receive this content. Correct? If so, I've got three more questions.

1. How is the HR20 DVR performing (I've got a 1 year old and a 3 year old and I rely quite a bit on my DVR)?
2. What are the best deals going on the 5LNB & HR20 DVR? Do I need to call customer retention and just hope I get one that's in a good mood and willing to work with me?
3. My 3LBN dish is mounted on my roof. My roof is made up of composite shingles. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the 5LNB is so large and heavy that it could only be installed directly into concrete or similar surface. True?

Thanks again for all your help.

i can't answer all of your questions but i will give it my best.

i've had my hr20 since feb 8. since then i have received one national software upgrade. i have no major problems to report.

since i was away from d* for 14 months, i paid full price for my dvr upgrade. i did, however, get retention to agree to swap my h10 receiver for the h20 for free.

my slimline is installed in a different localtion from my 3lnb dish. the slimline is closer to my new apartment (for starters) and is attached to a fascia. it isn't on the roof but attached to the side of a roof. i'm not sure it is attaced to concrete. the installer was only able to bolt 3/4 of the footprint. but he did add a slim arm/brace to the dish and it is bolted to the side of the roof, as well.

hope this helps.

it hasn't been through major storms yet. but it has been through a heavy rainstorm and a couple of very windy days, with no damage to report!!!

I've had my HR20 since September/October, and have had no real problems with it since at least November - no lockups, no resets, no lost recordings. Some people have had (and continue to have) serious problems, but the latest national software release (this week) seems to be much more stable.

The 5-lnb dishes can be installed on roofs but they need to be bolted through a joist not just into the roof cladding. Also the installer needs to use the two monopoles, these are additional stabilizers that prevent the dish shifting in very strong winds. Mine's on a composite shingle roof, bolted to a joist and with the monopoles, and I have no problem with dish alignment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts