HELP, Looking for installation tips

nbw2006

Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
I have a SuperDish 121 that I am trying to install (DIY). This is my first satellite install.

The SuperDish is mounted on a flat roof. I've plumbed the mast, taken two 90 degress vertical measurements and one horizontal. Everything is level.

I've followed the directions to the letter. I have the skew 129* dialed in, elevation 20* and azimuth 254* set for my location as indicated from the zipcode table. I'm using a simple plastic compas for finding the azimuth. Since I can't place the compas directly on/near the dish because it interferrs with it I am standing infront of the dish, in line with the LNB arm. I have the 121 feedline hooked up to port 1 of the multiswitch, the 119 on port 2 and the 110 on port 3.

At this point I am not getting any signals. I adjusted the elevation down from 20 to 15 degrees and found that I am able to get a reading of 115 on the 119 satellite, but this is coming from the 110 LNBF! Any thoughts on what would cause this? Can I use this information to figure out how to adjust things?

I've read that the 121 is FSS and low power, 2* seperation etc. and I should dial that on in first.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for sighting these in?

TIA -

-NewbSat

nbw2006 said:
I have a SuperDish 121 that I am trying to install (DIY). This is my first satellite install.

The SuperDish is mounted on a flat roof. I've plumbed the mast, taken two 90 degress vertical measurements and one horizontal. Everything is level.

I've followed the directions to the letter. I have the skew 129* dialed in, elevation 20* and azimuth 254* set for my location as indicated from the zipcode table. I'm using a simple plastic compas for finding the azimuth. Since I can't place the compas directly on/near the dish because it interferrs with it I am standing infront of the dish, in line with the LNB arm. I have the 121 feedline hooked up to port 1 of the multiswitch, the 119 on port 2 and the 110 on port 3.

At this point I am not getting any signals. I adjusted the elevation down from 20 to 15 degrees and found that I am able to get a reading of 115 on the 119 satellite, but this is coming from the 110 LNBF! Any thoughts on what would cause this? Can I use this information to figure out how to adjust things?

I've read that the 121 is FSS and low power, 2* seperation etc. and I should dial that on in first.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for sighting these in?

TIA -

-NewbSat

Newb,

Your azimuth is off as you are getting the 119 signal on the 110 LNBF. This means you are off by about 9 degrees on the azimuth. You need to move the azimuth about 9 degrees WEST.

John

Thanks, that's what I thought I'd need to do with the 119/110 issue. Once I have 119 dialed in with the 119 LNBF, should the 121 be lined up?

The best way to align the SuperDish is to connect the 119 LNB to port 1 on the switch, nothing else should be connected. Align 119 for maximum signal. Then connect the 121 LNB to port 1 and make slight elevation and azimuth adjustment for maximum signal. Reconnect 119 to port 1 and make sure you still have good signal strength. If all checks out OK, leave 119 on port 1, connect 110 to port 2 and finally 121 to port 3. Run a check switch (as long as you have the most current software version) and you should be there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)