Help! Looking to Switch to Dish

mitsufan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Okay I use to be a Dish subsciber but since they lacked the HD locals that cable did I moved over. Now that they are here I want to swtich over but I've got conflicting info regarding my TIVO is compatable or not. Secondly I want the OLN network but only for the Tour de France is it possible to upgrade for only one month and then lower my package? I had heard that if you upgrade during your subscription you can move back down.

Also anyone know when Sacramento will get HD for FOX?

Last edited:
Your Tivo will not work with the hd portion of Dish's hd channels. Besides you need the 622vip dvr to see the hd mpeg 4 channels and the 622 blows the Tivo out of the water anyway. You get name based recording features just like Tivo and you can record up to 3 things at the same time: 1ota and 2 sat tuners. Can Tivo do that?

Well I've got the Tivo lifetime subcription so I'm not really too thrilled about moving to a pvr. Recording two shows is a plus but not enough to make me spend another 5 bucks a month for subcriptions rights.

Anyone know when Sacto will get fox 40 in HD?

Can I upgrade my HD package for one month and move back down during my contrct period. Or when I move up they won't let you move to a lower package?

mitsufan said:
Well I've got the Tivo lifetime subcription so I'm not really too thrilled about moving to a pvr. Recording two shows is a plus but not enough to make me spend another 5 bucks a month for subcriptions rights.

Anyone know when Sacto will get fox 40 in HD?

Can I upgrade my HD package for one month and move back down during my contrct period. Or when I move up they won't let you move to a lower package?

Maybe wait until tivo comes out with their HD box?

You can move around with your bronze/silver/gold/platinum package. But I don't think you can get those without a mpeg-4 receivers.

The 622 really is a good receiver though. And it should have external storage capabilities before too long! Hopefully anyways! :)

MikeD-C05 said:
Your Tivo will not work with the hd portion of Dish's hd channels. Besides you need the 622vip dvr to see the hd mpeg 4 channels and the 622 blows the Tivo out of the water anyway. You get name based recording features just like Tivo and you can record up to 3 things at the same time: 1ota and 2 sat tuners. Can Tivo do that?
Your TiVo WILL work with Dish HD channels, they will just be recorded in SD (still looks pretty good). I use my SD TiVo Series 2 with my 622 so as to be able to archive shows to my PC - TiVo allows that DISH!!

Jim5506 said:
Your TiVo WILL work with Dish HD channels, they will just be recorded in SD (still looks pretty good). I use my SD TiVo Series 2 with my 622 so as to be able to archive shows to my PC - TiVo allows that DISH!!
If you don't mind, can you explain that to me. Does it add two additional tuners and recorders? Or, are you just recording what your watching? Thanks

wayne231 said:
If you don't mind, can you explain that to me. Does it add two additional tuners and recorders? Or, are you just recording what your watching? Thanks
My SA TiVo Series 2 actually controlls TV1 output from my 622 with the IR blaster. Unfortunately I could not put it on TV2 because it is solely UHF.

My Tivo changes channels on the 622 and records what is scheduled. The only caveat is I must leave TV1 output in stretch mode or a HD show will be anamorphic (scrunched).

I have set my 622 to inactivity standby disabled and have a 1 min record session at 4 am on both outputs so it never goes into standby and is always available to my TiVo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts