HELP. LOSS OF CERTAIN HD CHANNELS?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WidespreadSTL

Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
I recently installed a Terk BMS-58 Mulitswitch to my slimline 5 dish. I disconnected the four individual feeds from the ground block and then ran new coax to the Terk Multiswitch. On my HD boxes, I only get certain HD channels now. The SD box seems to work fine. I also get the 771 error message that says it is searching for the satellite signal on tuner 2 on the DVR and also on the H20 HD box.
Is there such thing as an HD multiswitch? Or perhaps I did not properly connect or terminate one or more of the new coax. I am not sure why this is the happening. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if this solution requires power to the multiswitch?

Also, is there something available that will allow more than 8 feeds to be used? Ideally 10 would be what I need.
Thanks.

What needs to be done is to use 4 high frequency power passing splitters on the four outputs from the dish. Then connect two WB68s in parallel to those splitters making sure each splitter connects to the same labeled input on the WB68s. This will give you 16 usable connections. The WB68 is unpowered.

Or you could use the WB616 powered switch.

What needs to be done is to use 4 high frequency power passing splitters on the four outputs from the dish. Then connect two WB68s in parallel to those splitters making sure each splitter connects to the same labeled input on the WB68s. This will give you 16 usable connections. The WB68 is unpowered.

Or you could use the WB616 powered switch.

or 2 6x8's

That's what jdspencer said.

it looks like the 16 output switch is no longer available. Do you have any other ideas?

Also anyone recommend any power pass splitters?

Thanks,

If you want a WB616 you could try DIRECTV Multswitches including 6x8 and SWM Single-Wire Multiswitch. Since you didn't list all your hardware maybe a SWiM8 would fit your needs. It can drive 8 tuners that can handle SWiM connections plus three legacy output's for STB's that aren't SWiM compatible. As for your question on splitters, they have some under the SWM info.

I dont have a SWiM compatible dish.
My Equipment is:
HR-20-700
H20-700
D11
Can I upgrade to a SWiM and make this easier?

Confused, in your 1st post you said you had four wires coming from the grounding block, where are those four wires coming from? If they're coming directly from the dish (and it's a Ka/Ku LNB) then you can use the SWiM8 module, just place it where you were going to place the Terk switch. I think the D11 is NOT SWiM compatible so you'd need to connect that to a legacy port on the SWiM8. The other two receivers are SWiM so you're OK there, that's 3 tuners so you could add 5 more tuners. Plus remember the HD DVR's need only one cable run when on a SWiM and you can use splitters on the signal.

System Setup

Yes those 4 cables are connected to the dish. The signal path goes Ka/Ku dish to Grounding block/point to multiswitch then on to receivers. DTV is coming tomorrow to provide multiswitch and new receiver. Should I try and have them give me a SWiM device? and if so, what should I ask for and the cable schematic look like?
Thanks,

Yes those 4 cables are connected to the dish. The signal path goes Ka/Ku dish to Grounding block/point to multiswitch then on to receivers. DTV is coming tomorrow to provide multiswitch and new receiver. Should I try and have them give me a SWiM device? and if so, what should I ask for and the cable schematic look like?
Thanks,

DirecTV doesn't do SWiM8 modules for homes, only MDU's, you'd have to buy your own (but that's going to change soon). If DirecTV's coming out to do the add just let them do the work. You'd probably not be able to get a SWMLNB since they'd also have to swap out the D11 receiver that you have which they normally won't do.

Your almost right! except my way doesn't need 4 p/p splitters and only allows 12 outputs

You should NEVER cascade WB68s, they need to be run in parallel using splitters as already posted. Zinwell specifically tells you not to cascade them. With two upowered multiswitches cascaded, the power from the receiver to the LNB might be attenuated too much. It will work for some people some of the time but is the wrong way to configure them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts