Help me figure out a whole home DVR setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ack

Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
United States
I'm a current DirecTV customer. I have 2 TVs, each with an HR-22 connected. I currently use them both separately. I only recently found out about whole home DVR service. One of my HR-22s just died (hardware failure) and so now I'm looking at upgrading. I'm out of contract so I'm hoping that DTV will throw some comps my way.

So, what I currently have: 1 working HR-22, DTV service for 2 DVRs.

What I want:

--Minimum 3 tuners, more would be nice.
--Shared DVR recordings list with ability to watch, pause, FF, rew. any program from any TV.
--Ability to pause, FF, rew. live TV on any TV.
--Fast, responsive user interface. Browsing the guide and navigating menus on the HR-22 is slow and drives me crazy!

I'd get the functionality I want if I put a new HR-34 on one TV and my old HR-22 on the other, correct?

Is it worthwhile to try to upgrade the HR-22 to a newer model? Would I notice much of a speed difference? Would the only difference be the interface response speed, or are there other advantages as well? Think I'd have any luck calling DTV and asking for a free HR34 and HR24 (considering that I could switch to dish and get a free hopper and joey, plus half price programming package for a year?)

Any idea when the RTV client boxes will be out? Am I understanding correctly that with one of these I could control/watch the HR34 from a remote TV, including the ability to pause live TV?

Thanks for your help!

Think I'd have any luck calling DTV and asking for a free HR34 and HR24

No. Even new customers pay $99 for the HR34. If you get the right CSR you might be able to talk them down to $199 (Normally $399).

RTV client box... I'm sure you mean RVU. There are a few Samsung TVs from the 2011 line that have this functionality built-in. No word on a box that would do this for any TV... if there was it'd be nice, I could send back my H25 and save $6/mo.

dtv considers the hr22 and the hr24 equals, so you its not really an upgrade
you may get a new hd-dvr to replace the old one, id ask for an hr-34, but that would cost something

RTV client box... I'm sure you mean RVU. There are a few Samsung TVs from the 2011 line that have this functionality built-in. No word on a box that would do this for any TV... if there was it'd be nice,

The DirecTV RVU client STB is currently called the C30 and it is field testing. In late September or into October DirecTV is suppose to release the RVU STB, it is be called the C31.

When it is released you will still have to pay a Secondary TV fee ($6.00) for each C31 on your account.

John

Best deal you will get on 34 is $99,and that takes an act of congress to get. The big advantage of a 34 over a 2nd 22/24 is the 34 has 5 tuners. whereas the 22 and 24 only have 2 tuners. While the 22 is whole home compatible, you can only watch it in 1 room at a time.

I'm a current DirecTV customer. I have 2 TVs, each with an HR-22 connected. I currently use them both separately. I only recently found out about whole home DVR service. One of my HR-22s just died (hardware failure) and so now I'm looking at upgrading. I'm out of contract so I'm hoping that DTV will throw some comps my way.

So, what I currently have: 1 working HR-22, DTV service for 2 DVRs.

What I want:

--Minimum 3 tuners, more would be nice.
--Shared DVR recordings list with ability to watch, pause, FF, rew. any program from any TV.
--Ability to pause, FF, rew. live TV on any TV.
--Fast, responsive user interface. Browsing the guide and navigating menus on the HR-22 is slow and drives me crazy!

I'd get the functionality I want if I put a new HR-34 on one TV and my old HR-22 on the other, correct?

Is it worthwhile to try to upgrade the HR-22 to a newer model? Would I notice much of a speed difference? Would the only difference be the interface response speed, or are there other advantages as well? Think I'd have any luck calling DTV and asking for a free HR34 and HR24 (considering that I could switch to dish and get a free hopper and joey, plus half price programming package for a year?)

Any idea when the RTV client boxes will be out? Am I understanding correctly that with one of these I could control/watch the HR34 from a remote TV, including the ability to pause live TV?

Thanks for your help!

Hello Ack,

If you get a HMC/HR34 your system must be the SWM type which is what is needed for the HR34 or the H25 units. An order for the HR34 will generate the parts needed to upgrade your dish system if needed. If you want to upgrade your HR22 at the same time you might get an HR24 but it is not guaranteed. It depends upon the equipment on the technicians truck that day. I have had all of the units you have mentioned HR22, HR24 and HR34. I like all of them but my preference is: HR34, HR24 and then HR22 but if I don't have the HR24 then I would be happy with the HR22. If you only have an HR34 and an HR2X then you only have 7 tuners and the SWM system will only be an 8 tuner capacity (only 1 receiver and not an additional DVR without upgrading again to a SWM 16 system). If you have 9 or more tuners then they will have to install a SWM 16 capable system. This allows an easy future upgrade in HD receivers/DVR's. When ordering I would add an additional HD DVR . If you get an HR24 you can always return the HR22 at some future date (usually more than 30 days after the install). :cool:

The DirecTV RVU client STB is currently called the C30 and it is field testing. In late September or into October DirecTV is suppose to release the RVU STB, it is be called the C31.

When it is released you will still have to pay a Secondary TV fee ($6.00) for each C31 on your account.

John
Ha! Those bastids.... I assume if the TV has the RVU client built-in, this fee would be avoided. Or if the C31 was purchased off eBay or something? Oh well, knew it was too good to be true. "secondary TV fee" lol... what will they think of next.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)