Help me ID this FiberGlass dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dotbatman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
I have a dish that like the one in these two pictures (the one on the right in the first picture). Any idea of it's make/model? Anyone know if it's any good for Ku?

pa230159-jpg.82047
pa230163-jpg.82051

As an owner of several Channel Master antennae ( 3.0m & 1.2m versions) (plus looked @ several hundred pictures of them) I disagree that it is a Channel Master. It certainly doesn't look like any Channel Master I've ever seen. It looks more like a Prodelin or M/A Com dish.

Doing a google image search turns up nothing similar for Prodelin or M/a Com. Do you have any example images you can think of? Ideally, I'd like to find some posts about similar dishes so I know what I'm getting into. I'm thinking of going all out on this thing for Ku, because I already have a great c-band unimesh dish that locks everything I've thrown at it, but I can't get the Ku performance where I want it.

As an owner of several Channel Master antennae ( 3.0m & 1.2m versions) (plus looked @ several hundred pictures of them) I disagree that it is a Channel Master. It certainly doesn't look like any Channel Master I've ever seen. It looks more like a Prodelin or M/A Com dish.
I'll second Prodelin, the back structure looks like a Prodelin but the mount doesn't. A lot of fiberglass dishes were copies of good quality brands. A fiberglass dish won't work as a satellite reflector without a metal layer embedded into the fiberglass. Early fiberglass dishes had reflecting surfaces with holes too large for Ku band but worked for Cband.

Apparently that dish pictured in post one wobbles pretty bad in the wind. There are several extra tie downs on it to keep it stable. I have heard those big fiberglass dishes were hard to keep stable anyway.

So the dish I have has the same type of polar mount as in the pictured I posted and no broken ribs on the dish. It's completely disassembled into 8 pieces plus the mount pieces. I need a pole for it, because the pole I got at the scrap yard is a 3" OD pole and apparently this mount has a 4" opening. I also need a more sturdy actuator than what I have (a 24" von weiss that skipped counts on my 7.5' kti). I got a quote from venture for a new actuator tube to replace the frozen one I have and they wanted $150 plus shipping. Is this dish worth putting that much cash into? I'm hoping to trounce my 10' unimesh performance on Ku-band. Would I be better off just getting a 1.2M GeosatPro? I could also put back up my 7.5' KTI but I imagine even with a setup tweaked for Ku reception, I'd be better off with a 1.2M dish.

I've been on the prowl for other options, I even purchased a pair of 12' Patriots, but I went to arrange the time to pick them up and the guy who sold them to me kept my money and scrapped them :(.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)