Help me install OTA antenna with Dish 1000

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

iamskew

Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
OK, I want to get OTA HD locals with my Dish setup. I have a Dish1000 dish and 3 recievers, a 211, 811 and a 625. I have a Winegard OTA antenna that has a multiswitch with it.
Today, I went up and attached the antenna to the Dish1000. But that's all the further I know how to go. I am attaching some images that shows what I have hooked up. I really only care about being able to get the OTA antenna connected to the 211. It'd be nice with the 811 too, but I can live without it as the 211 is connected to my projector and the 811 is on an older HDTV.

Can anyone tell me what I need to connect to what, and what equipment I might need to buy in order to connect my OTA antenna to my DISH system?

Thanks,
skew

P.S. I'm a long time lurker but I just joined up recently. I love this site for keeping me up to date on satellite info.

P1010002.jpg

Satellite and OTA from front.
P1010014.jpg

Satellite and OTA from back.
P1010010.jpg

Dish1000 Multiswitch
P1010005.jpg

Winegard multiswitch - blurry
P1010007.jpg

Winegard multiswitch - clear

That switch wont work with your dish system and those batwing winegard antenna's are junk as you cant rotate them to bring in signals any better. But if you are set on using it you will have to drop the winegard switch and split the coax to go to the two hd units by way of running a coax from a 2 way splitter to each location ( make sure to ground the coax btw ) or you can diplex the split coax into the two lines that are going to each hd unit.

Yeah, I know the batwings aren't great, but it came free with VOOM and it's what I have, so I have to deal with it.

I don't want to run a new cable all the way to the basement, so I would like to use a diplexer. Let me see if I understand what to do though.

Are you saying that I should get a diplexer and hook it up to the connection at the bottom that corresponds with the reciever I want it to go to? So, pretending for now that my 211 is recieving its signal from the connection that says "To Satellite Reciever In 1," I should disconnect the cable from that, connect that cable and the OTA cable to the diplexer, then connect the diplexer to the multiswitch? And when that's done I should use a diplexer inside to split the signal back out?

Thanks for all your help,
skew

Let's pretend you want the 211 connected to the antenna.

You need a cable from the antenna to the diplexer port labeled VHF/UHF, one cable from port 1 of the DP34 switch to the diplexer port labeled SAT. The cable that is currently connected to the DP34 goes to the diplexer port labeled IN/OUT.

At the receiver disconnect the cable feeding the receiver. Connect the cable to the IN/OUT port in the diplexer. One jumper cable goes from the VHF/UHF to the Antenna port in the receiver and another goes to the SAtellite feed in the receiver.

And that's it. Just added the image for you to see it.

Attachments

• Diplexers.jpg
    Diplexers.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Sweet, I'm pretty sure I understand. Now let's just hope I'm really sure about which port goes to which reciever. I'm pretty sure my 211 is port 3. Well, I guess it's time to find out.

Thanks,
skew

I wouldnt imagine that antenna would work any better than say an indoor Silver Sensor anenna. There isnt much to that "bat wing" you have there.

Its odd. My neighbor has a full on ENORMOUS OTA antenna on his house to get the locals here and I have a silly little indoor Silver Sensor that works just fine.

Maybe its me, but some people go wayyyy overboard. :devil: Try some other things before you go relying on that antenna.

I like the Winegard Sensar antenna if they are used within their design limitations they work well. First question is which one do you have? It is made in two versions one is amplified and one isn't. Usually the amplified version has a sticker on the bottom that says amplified. It is either a model 2000 Amplified or a 1000 unamplified. If it is the amplified version it needs a source of 12 volt power which the VOOM receiver supplied.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)