Status
Please reply by conversation.

cal87

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Cutting Edge
Aug 3, 2005
Tracy, CA
Here is my situation. I have an HD-Tivo in my family room with two lines going in, OTA diplexed into one of the lines. H20 in my bedroom with satellite signal diplexed with cable TV line. H20 in my office with its own line directly from dish.
I have a AT-9 waiting to get installed. Locals due to come on line in April.

1) I have heard that you cannot diplex an OTA or cable signal with the AT-9. Is this true in general, or will you be able to combine the signals with some new multiswich not yet out?

2) One of my reasons to upgrade in the first place was the fact that I could only send the OTA signal to one receiver. Is this because of the el-cheapo OTA antenna that D* provided? If I got a real OTA antenna and multiswitch, could I send it to all 3 receivers?

3) It seems to me that my best bet for the time being might be to hook the H20s to the AT-9, and leave the HD-Tivo with OTA hooked up to my 3LNB dish. (I need to mount in a different location anyways) Now when MPEG-4 goes beyond locals, are they also using the new satellite locations that require the AT-9?

So in summary, I want to be able to watch HD locals on all of my receivers, but I would prefer to not have to add any additional wiring. Ideally, I'd like to have the HD locals come from the satellite, and use an OTA antenna to try to pull in some neighboring areas - I'm pretty sure this would be spotty and unreliable so I don't want to count on it full time. So if it requires too much wiring, I would probably stick with 2 dishes, then get rid of the 3LNB dish when it's time to switch from the HD Tivo to the HR20, and forget about OTA entirely. Any advice?

The AT-9 dish and MPEG4 channels use the same frequency as some OTA signals so you can't diplex the OTA signal with the H20 and MPEG4 channels.

If at all possible you should run a cable to each receiver for OTA signals for the best picture quality.

Eric Goempel said:
I would do 2 dishes. I wish I had left my 3 LNB dish up.

Yeah, that's the conclusion I've come to. I don't think the wife will go for any more coax runs. I'll just go with 2 dishes until the HR10-250 is swapped out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)