Help Me With My Decision

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpencerCat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Our household is one of the 13% of U.S. TV households that have lost a channel due to the Greed War between DTV and Raycom. In our case, we’ve lost the CBS station in Tucson. The first NFL weekend is in a few days, and I won’t be able to watch the games on CBS after this weekend’s free NFL ST promotion.

We live 20 miles north of Tucson, and OTA won’t work for us because there’s a 9,000 foot mountain (Mt. Lemmon) between us and the transmitting towers.

I usually abide by the old maxim, “I don’t take sides when thieves fall out”, but in this case I’m siding with DTV because apparently Raycom is doubling its retransmission fees. I would expect a slight price increase, but when the U.S. annual inflation rate has been running around 2%, a 100% increase in retransmission rates is outrageous.

I was with Dish for 14 years before coming to DTV in order to save money as a new subscriber. My 2-year DTV contract ended last week, and I had been thinking about returning to Dish as a way to save money as a new subscriber. This situation involving DTV and Raycom may have made my decision to return to Dish easier; besides, Dish has the Pac-12 Network.

Many people here claim that PQ on DTV is better than on Dish, but when I came to DTV from Dish, I couldn’t see any difference in PQ.

I would appreciate constructive comments and suggestions regarding my situation. Saying “DirecTV is great, and Dish sucks” or “Any idiot can see that DirecTV’s PQ is a million times better than Dish’s” are examples of non-constructive comments, and there are people on this forum who make similar comments, so please don’t bother.

Thanks for any help you provide.

Richard

Regarding simply PQ, my opinion is that DirecTV is a tad better than DISH and leagues better than cable.

Other than that, we recently re-upped a contract with DirecTV just a few months back and were able to upgrade to a HR44 Genie as well as a wireless Genie mini alongside an older HR20-100 two-tuner HD DVR. We literally could not be happier with the choice.

Being out of contract means that you have substantial negotiating room -- even to the point of asking for reduced programming rates on your package over the course of a year. That's exactly what we did, over DirecTV chat, no less.

Our household is one of the 13% of U.S. TV households that have lost a channel due to the Greed War between DTV and Raycom. In our case, we’ve lost the CBS station in Tucson. The first NFL weekend is in a few days, and I won’t be able to watch the games on CBS after this weekend’s free NFL ST promotion.

We live 20 miles north of Tucson, and OTA won’t work for us because there’s a 9,000 foot mountain (Mt. Lemmon) between us and the transmitting towers.

I usually abide by the old maxim, “I don’t take sides when thieves fall out”, but in this case I’m siding with DTV because apparently Raycom is doubling its retransmission fees. I would expect a slight price increase, but when the U.S. annual inflation rate has been running around 2%, a 100% increase in retransmission rates is outrageous.

I was with Dish for 14 years before coming to DTV in order to save money as a new subscriber. My 2-year DTV contract ended last week, and I had been thinking about returning to Dish as a way to save money as a new subscriber. This situation involving DTV and Raycom may have made my decision to return to Dish easier; besides, Dish has the Pac-12 Network.

Many people here claim that PQ on DTV is better than on Dish, but when I came to DTV from Dish, I couldn’t see any difference in PQ.

I would appreciate constructive comments and suggestions regarding my situation. Saying “DirecTV is great, and Dish sucks” or “Any idiot can see that DirecTV’s PQ is a million times better than Dish’s” are examples of non-constructive comments, and there are people on this forum who make similar comments, so please don’t bother.

Thanks for any help you provide.

Richard
As for your concern about your CBS being gone, normally these things when the rare times it gets this far, don't last long.
My CBS is also gone, fwiw.

I do know that Dish loses channels much more frequently than D*, history shows that.

you may be able to get sunday ticket free if you threaten to cancel

most likely the channel will be back soon

All else being equal (and right now it is not with your channel missing) I would go with the new customer promotions.

That said, your channel will likely return soon, and you may be able to talk Directv into some credits if you tell them your situation and your options.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts