Help - "Missing Channels" and older receiver ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mike_S

Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Redwood City, CA
I am a long-time DirecTV subscriber and love it -- though I think their customer support is awful. If anyone could help explain this to me, or help me rectify/resolve the problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a Sony DSS receiver in my family room that I've been using for DirecTV since I bought it (early '98). To my knowledge it is not having any technical problems.

I have purchased ESPN Gameplan every year since, and watched it on this receiver primarily.

Today, when trying to access ESPN Gameplan on that TV, I cannot see the channels. Instead, I get a DirecTV screen on channel 784 (not a receiver message, it is a full screen being broadcast by DirecTV) that says (among other things) "This is an older receiver that cannot show NFL Sunday Tickets or ESPN Gamplan channels. If you have a newer receiver, please use that one instead"

Note that I am able to successfully view ESPN Gameplan on my little TV upstairs which has a newer receiver. Also note that my older receiver has no problems with the US Open channels or other extra PPV channels.

So my questions:

1. Does anyone have any idea why technically an older receiver couldn't get these specific channels which it previously could get ? (DirecTV reps couldn't explain this to me in ANY semi-satisfactory way)

2. I'd love to keep this receiver because I love the remote -- it has soft-feel buttons, and changes channels instantaneously (it's awesome with multiple games on at once for flipping back and forth); all of the other remotes in our house (DirecTV-specific Phillips and TIVO) have worse feel, as well as much slower response time/slight delays in terms of channel changing.

I do NOT have HD and am not that interested in it at the current time. I also have a separate TIVO with lifetime membership already paid for, so I am NOT interested in DirecTV with DVR.

DirecTV has offered to replace my receiver at no charge, but the other "stock" receivers they've sent me are much worse than this one.

I am WAY out of the loop on this, so all info and suggestions welcomed:

- If I HAD to get a new receiver, are there any suggestions for quick-channel-changes with "soft" remotes ?

- Does Sony still make DirecTV receivers and how are they ?

- Are there any low-budget receivers that will change channels delay-free the way I'm describing ?

3. As an aside: Can any receiver WITHOUT DVR capabilities tune to two channels simultaneously (such that I could watch one and let TIVO record the other) ??

All information appreciated and thanks so much in advance!!

Old DirecTV receiver -- unable to get channels ?

Today when I turned on ESPN Gameplan for the first time this season, I saw a DirecTV-supplied screen on channel 784 saying something like "This receiver is too old and cannot receive the channels for ESPN Gameplan or NFL Sunday Ticket".

I can get the channels on my upstairs receiver, which is newer (but much less user-friendly).

I was not able to get any good info about this from the DirecTV support people.

So my questions:

1. Does anybody have any idea why an older receiver would no longer be able to receive channels it has successfully received for 10 years ?

2. The reason I particularly like the old receiver is that it has a "soft" remote that is easy-to-use and changes channels quite promptly -- no slight delay like on DirecTV-supplied receivers or TIVO systems. Does anybody have any recommendations for a replacement receiver that will not cost too much but still give the quick changes ? (I am not interested in HD-reception or DVR capabilities).

3. Are there any DirecTV receivers available at reasonably-low-cost that can tune to two channels simultaneously (one for watching, the other for recording something else) ?

All information appreciated!!

Today when I turned on ESPN Gameplan for the first time this season, I saw a DirecTV-supplied screen on channel 784 saying something like "This receiver is too old and cannot receive the channels for ESPN Gameplan or NFL Sunday Ticket".

I can get the channels on my upstairs receiver, which is newer (but much less user-friendly).

I was not able to get any good info about this from the DirecTV support people.

So my questions:

1. Does anybody have any idea why an older receiver would no longer be able to receive channels it has successfully received for 10 years ?

2. The reason I particularly like the old receiver is that it has a "soft" remote that is easy-to-use and changes channels quite promptly -- no slight delay like on DirecTV-supplied receivers or TIVO systems. Does anybody have any recommendations for a replacement receiver that will not cost too much but still give the quick changes ? (I am not interested in HD-reception or DVR capabilities).

3. Are there any DirecTV receivers available at reasonably-low-cost that can tune to two channels simultaneously (one for watching, the other for recording something else) ?

All information appreciated!!

Mike,
Welcome to the site !

We need more info buddy, what recvr models are you using ?

To answer # 3, if you had a DVR you could watch one channel and record on the other, but you said in # 2 that you were not interested in them, so Iguess to answer that question, NO. (not without the DVR.)

Receiver Info

Thanks for the welcome!!

I have a Sony Digital Satellite Receiver Sat-B2. It was purchased new in early 1998.

I am guessing the problem either has to do with the new broadcast standards or a max number of available channels on an old unit or something like that. I'm just frustrated that DirecTV has the message "this won't work anymore" with no further explanation (either on the screen or from their support people).

Anyway, any advice appreciated. If I have to get or use a new receiver I guess I will, so I'm looking for recommendations (if nobody has a potential fix).

Receiver

Thanks for the welcome.

I have a Sony DSS Digital Satellite Receiver Sat-B2 purchased new in 1998.

Any explanation (or even potential explanation) greatly appreciated!!

The Game Plan is probably on the newer MPEG4 technology now, most of the sports packages are now.
This would explain the message seeing the B-2 , or any Sony recvr's for that matter only receive MPEG2 technology

Sorry, but there are NO SD sports packages in MPEG4.
It simply has to do with these very old receivers do NOT have enough memory to accomodate the extra EPG info required on all these type channels. If you noticed D* also removed some of the PPV channels from these older receivers as well & did some time ago.

If you want these packages, you don't have any other choice - call D* & they will upgrade you for FREE.
(FYI - you REALLY should reconnsider getting a DVR; I GURANTEE you it would be the best upgrade you ever did!)

Thanks!!

Can you explain that a little ? The Gameplan channels have worked with this receiver for at least 8 years...why would I not have enough memory now ?

As for the DVR: I already have a separate TIVO unit with lifetime paid for, would prefer not to change as long as its still working.

Can you explain that a little ? The Gameplan channels have worked with this receiver for at least 8 years...why would I not have enough memory now ?

You'd have to ask D*, since they made this business decision... ;)
But if you stop & think about it - D* has added MANY more channels (& along with that more EPG info) since your receiver was made 8+ years ago. They were having problems with the EPG loading on them as they kept adding channels, so it just got to the point to NOT offer those services to these VERY old boxes. This is NOT any different than D* switching ALL HD to MPEG4, requiring all new receivers/dishes - or many other pieces of electronics that I'm sure you have around your house. ;) ;) Again, D* will upgrade it FOR FREE - I know you like that old box, but most electronics DO have a short lifespan.

As for the DVR: I already have a separate TIVO unit with lifetime paid for, would prefer not to change as long as its still working.

Well look at it this way - you're ONLY paying $6/month, (less if you do a Choice+ DVR prog pkg) but you're getting an extra tuner for the money, so that you can records TWO shows at once.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)