HELP!! need help with Dish 500

siess@earthlink.net

Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Western Nevada
I need help. I am trying to set-up a Dish Network satellite system in my RV with no success. The system consists of a Dish 500 satellite dish with a DP Dual LNB mounted on a tripod, connected to a single 311 receiver in the RV. I have been unable to get any satellite signal what so ever. I am using a known working receiver that I have removed from my home, and which I use all the time. I have tried three (3) LNB’s all of which were supposed to be in good condition. I have checked all of the cable, and connections numerous times. I have checked for shorts in the cable, shorts to ground and the integrity of the crimp connectors, which have been crimped with a ratcheting “Die” crimper. I have checked voltage to the LNB, and have 18.6 VDC. I have connected the RG/6 directly to the back of the 311 as well as having connected it through the RV satellite feed. Total cable length, does not exceed 50’ at any time. I have tried aligning the dish using the conventional method of dish markings and a compass & signal meter, and have purchased an align-a-site all to no avail!!! CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME GUIDENCE and maybe a logical trouble shooting sequence. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

I hope to get help here with a similar issue. My husband is a truck driver and is trying to install Dish 500 and a 301 receiver in his truck. Similar situation, RG6 from the dish to the receiver and receiver to TV, lined up the dish as instructed with the zip code, no signal. We have tried numerous different things. The receiver is brand new, we just had dish installed in our home and the tech brought this receiver out to us with the other ones. I told him we were installing it with the Dish 500 in a truck and he said he activated the receiver. We cannot get it to work? Can anybody give us a run down of what to try? Does the dish have to have two lines coming out for the two satellites or just one? We just have th 301 receiver and only one TV. Do we have to hook to a phone line? If he brings it home and we set it up at home and can get tech to help us get it to work, then should it work when he goes back on the road and sets it up at a truck stop? We are pretty handy people and sure did not think we would run into such a problem that we cannot solve. If we can't get it and we take the truck to a local dealer and will they help us?

Thank you for your expertise.

Carol

I have hauled my dish around the country with great success. When you get to your new site, don't forget to change the zip code settings to the town you are located in. This will give you a new el. and az. setting. They will have to be changed. also, It make take a few munites for the program info to reach your receiver. I always go to the menu and installaction and do test sw. when I set up in a new location.

Get a cheap satellite meter, it helps. They can be had for like $10 from such places like sadoun.com

Start from the beginning, disconnect the sat line from the reciever then run a check switch, save the results it'll then show all X's.

When using the point dish screen there is a lag when aiming, try to use the 119 sat on transponder 11.

Set your elevation, set your skew, then swing left to right SLOWLY it takes a few seconds for it to register.

Once you have 119 peaked run check switch again and if everything ok you should then have 119/110.

Oh, Also, Don't forget to change the skew on the dish to agree with your new zip code info. I had the dish 500 and only had one ca. to lnb and it will pick both 110 and 119. If you are a little off on the az. you will get a strong sig. but you may be on the wrong sat. If that happens you will only pick up one of your sats. I purchased a satellite finder, which I wouldn't leave home without. They are well worth the cost and can save time.

Like the previous poster have mentioned a simple satellite signal meter will help you find the satellite. I would recommend #9 here Sadoun is a stocking source of Super Buddy, SatHawk, and BIRDOG satellite signal meters

It comes with a short cable, compass, battery pack, and signal meter kit. You can connect the jumper cable to any of the open ports on the LNBF. The main cable coming from the receiver can remain connected to the LNBF. Use the signal meter & battery pack to align the dish. Once dish is aligned, disconnect the meter. You can keep the jumper cable connected to the LNBF, it won't hurt. You will be able to use it again at your next stop without having to unscrew the LNBF assembly off the dish.

Good luck and happy trucking.

BTW, every time I see a truck on the highway I remember your sacrifice and hard work to keep our country and economy moving. So, I take this opportunity to thank you and salute all the truck drivers out there.

to the OP, you have already done all of the troubleshooting you would need to do. You know the reciever works, you know you are getting power out at the lnb, so that eliminates a wire problem (for the most part).
All you have left is a bad lnb, which you have tried 3 of, so thats most likely not it.
It is probably just an alignment issue.

Actually, just thought of a few things. What type of lnb are you using? Dishpro, or legacy? And have you ran the check switch test after connecting it to the dish? to make sure it is looking for the correct lnb.
If that doesnt work, run the check switch without anything connected and let it clear the check switch matrix. Then start over :)

Final thing I would check.... is the reflector bent at all? You would be surprised how rv jobs I go on and the dish is all bent up from the customer letting it ride around in their camper.

For the RVer and the Trucker...

RV:
You say you have a Dish 500 with a DP Dual.
- By "Dual" do you mean it has two round eyes on it to receive 2 satellite locations as most Dish 500 do, which is probably a DP Twin?
- Or does it really have a DP Dual, which has a single eye? If so, is it on a bracket designed to hold only 1 LNBF or does it hold 2 LNBF?

If it is DP Twin, or even Legacy Twin, don't forget to set the SKEW and ELEVATION according to the Zip Code you are stopped (Parked) at.

If it is a DP Dual or even a single output, including legacy, and you are using a bracket for a single position LNBF, then use the Dish 300 settings for your current Zip Code, not the 500 settings. Also, you will need to set the SKEW to 90 degrees on the Dish 500 which actually = 0 degrees tilt.

I think you probably have everything okay, but you are not aware of the fact you need to move slower than a brain surgeon. As RCDallas said, you need to go slowly and give the receiver time to register. How slow? Move it less than 1/16 " at a time, and give it 8 to 10 seconds to register on the point dish screen.

Recap:
- Mast must be perfectly plumb. This the most important part.
- Set Skew and Elevation according to zip code.
- Find approximate Azimuth.
- Set receiver to 119. Put foil over the 110 LNBF so it does not pick up any signals.
- Move dish east (or west) 1/32" at a time until you find a satellite, then you will know if you have it or the wrong satellite and need to re-adjust.

Trucker:

I don't think a truck stop is going to help you. And if one was able to get you set up, you will have to re-align the dish when ever you move, which is almost like aiming a rifle at a car that is 22,300 miles out in space, instead of just putting up a regular TV antenna.

So, if you are driving and then stop, you will need to get outside with your Dish 500, find a clear view of the southern sky, and set it up each time just like the RVer above.

However, for a truck that is constantly moving around the country, maybe you need to purchase one of those RV/Truck/Boat dish antenna's made by RVH Trackvision. They have several models that will locate the satellite when you stop, and a couple of models that will continually track the satellite while in motion - for the back seat driver to watch.:D

Here's a link to Sadoun's web page with several models.
KVH Winegard RV Satellite TV systems Tracvision Mobile Antenna In-Motion Stationary Low Profile

You'll still need access to the sky, but it will find the satellite if a clear line of sight.

Check Swith reset

to the OP, you have already done all of the troubleshooting you would need to do. You know the reciever works, you know you are getting power out at the lnb, so that eliminates a wire problem (for the most part).
All you have left is a bad lnb, which you have tried 3 of, so thats most likely not it.
It is probably just an alignment issue.

Actually, just thought of a few things. What type of lnb are you using? Dishpro, or legacy? And have you ran the check switch test after connecting it to the dish? to make sure it is looking for the correct lnb.
If that doesnt work, run the check switch without anything connected and let it clear the check switch matrix. Then start over :)

Final thing I would check.... is the reflector bent at all? You would be surprised how rv jobs I go on and the dish is all bent up from the customer letting it ride around in their camper.

Do I understand correctly when you say to run check switch without anything connected (no cables of any kind) it will clear out? I cannot get a signal on my 522 and can't run the check switch. I think if I can get it to run then I can find a signal. Thanks, Don

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)