Help!! Need to upgrade my DVD Player

That’s a big if. Only a few receivers out there decode all those formats and for what price???? Are you suggesting that its OK to simply have regular DD or DTS. I hope not. I personally thank audio is a huge part of the hi def experience and many others do to. Lets not diminish that to cover the short comings for the BD30.[/COLOR]

Just a few? Where you been? You can get an Onkyo 605 for as little as $399. Most of the major manufacturers (Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra/ etc.) have receivers that will decode advanced audio at varying price ranges.

Am I suggesting it? No, Just stating a fact. Just like many people use composite/s-video etc. with upscaling DVD players, HD cable boxes, etc. For J6P, advanced audio's not that big a deal. You can go in this forum/AVS/etc. and find people that are perfectly happy w/ 1.5mb/s core DTS or DD over their optical connection. It is their preference, and I will not harp on them for it.

As for shortcomings of the BD30, it's only a short coming if you need to internally decode advanced audio. If you don't, then it's not. For me, your A3 has shortcomings which makes it an unsuitable player. That's why I have an XA2 and A35.

I made a recommendation to the OP based on the little info that he posted about his setup. More than you.

S~

Just a few? Where you been? You can get an Onkyo 605 for as little as $399. Most of the major manufacturers (Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo/Integra/ etc.) have receivers that will decode advanced audio at varying price ranges.

Am I suggesting it? No, Just stating a fact. Just like many people use composite/s-video etc. with upscaling DVD players, HD cable boxes, etc. For J6P, advanced audio's not that big a deal. You can go in this forum/AVS/etc. and find people that are perfectly happy w/ 1.5mb/s core DTS or DD over their optical connection. It is their preference, and I will not harp on them for it.

As for shortcomings of the BD30, it's only a short coming if you need to internally decode advanced audio. If you don't, then it's not. For me, your A3 has shortcomings which makes it an unsuitable player. That's why I have an XA2 and A35.

S~

The OP simply wanted to upgrade his DVD player. The avg MSRP of the recievers you mentioned is around $1000. Are you suggesting that his simple DVD upgrade be accompanied with an additional $1000 purchase?? Once again I can't disagree with your more about your soft stance in regards to the BD30 short comings. Your statement "it's only a short coming if you need to internally decode advanced audio." makes no since considering that the VAST majority of people with recievers will not be able to decode hi def audio.

I made a recommendation to the OP based on the little info that he posted about his setup. More than you.

I guess you missed my post earlier in this thread.

As it appears that the poster was leaning towards BD I can't presently recommend a player. When a BD player is released that offers everything that at the very least the HD-A3 offers I may be able to recommend a player. Oh and all that being said if its $500 it won't get my recommendation.

The OP simply wanted to upgrade his DVD player. The avg MSRP of the recievers you mentioned is around $1000. Are you suggesting that his simple DVD upgrade be accompanied with an additional $1000 purchase?? Once again I can't disagree with your more about your soft stance in regards to the BD30 short comings. Your statement "it's only a short coming if you need to internally decode advanced audio." makes no since considering that the VAST majority of people with recievers will not be able to decode hi def audio.

I guess you missed my post earlier in this thread.

Must have missed the $399 for the Onkyo. No, I did not suggest the OP go buy anything new whether it be a TV or receiver. You must have missed where I asked the OP what audio gear he had. And.. where I recommended that if his receiver doesn't decode Advanced audio, he would be better off waiting for the BD50. As he said, he is looking to replace his DVD player with a BD player.

My stance on the BD30 is not soft and makes perfect "sense". If you have the proper set up I will recommend it. It is an excellent player. If not, it would not be my first recommendation. I have said that here and at other forums.

The MSRP for the BD50 has not been announced, but Panasonic has said it will not be much more than the BD30. For what the BD50 will do, the price is no different than the top of the line HD DVD players (before Toshiba was forced to slash their prices after the Warner announcement) were and will be able to decode DTS Master internally. Something no HD DVD player can do.

S~

Must have missed the $399 for the Onkyo. No, I did not suggest the OP go buy anything new whether it be a TV or receiver. You must have missed where I asked the OP what audio gear he had. And.. where I recommended that if his receiver doesn't decode Advanced audio, he would be better off waiting for the BD50. As he said, he is looking to replace his DVD player with a BD player.

My stance on the BD30 is not soft and makes perfect "sense". If you have the proper set up I will recommend it. It is an excellent player. If not, it would not be my first recommendation. I have said that here and at other forums.

The MSRP for the BD50 has not been announced, but Panasonic has said it will not be much more than the BD30. For what the BD50 will do, the price is no different than the top of the line HD DVD players (before Toshiba was forced to slash their prices after the Warner announcement) were and will be able to decode DTS Master internally. Something no HD DVD player can do.

S~

“If you have the proper set up I will recommend it.”

I find your use of the word ‘if’ comical and totally misleading. That is like saying to the avg person ‘if’ you have a spare million bucks go by a mansion” or better yet “if you have a spare race car go enter into the Daytona 500”. Tell me with a straight face that 1% of people out there have a receiver that can decode all those formats. If not let me restate its totally misleading to indorse the BD30 in any way shape or form.

“It is an excellent player. If not, it would not be my first recommendation.” Are you saying that a player that does not internally decode Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio is an excellent HI-DEF player? If you decide to reply can your reply not contain the word ‘if’? Once again the question I ask you is about the BD30 and not a persons potential AV setup

“If you have the proper set up I will recommend it.”

I find your use of the word ‘if’ comical and totally misleading. That is like saying to the avg person ‘if’ you have a spare million bucks go by a mansion” or better yet “if you have a spare race car go enter into the Daytona 500”. Tell me with a straight face that 1% of people out there have a receiver that can decode all those formats. If not let me restate its totally misleading to indorse the BD30 in any way shape or form.

“It is an excellent player. If not, it would not be my first recommendation.” Are you saying that a player that does not internally decode Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio is an excellent HI-DEF player? If you decide to reply can your reply not contain the word ‘if’? Once again the question I ask you is about the BD30 and not a persons potential AV setup

There is nothing misleading in my statements. I did not recommend the BD30 to the OP. I will tell you this. My setup includes a pre/pro that decodes advanced audio codecs, so does Elway's, Cochiseguys, and JoeSP (sorry to drag you in Joe) to name only a few on this forum. My setup also has a projector that can properly handle 1080p/24. For Elway, Joe, others here and on AVS, this is an excellent player.

On my setup downstairs, my Lexicon does not decode advanced audio so my players need to decode internally. So in this instance, the BD30 is not an ideal player. Therefore, my players decode internally everything except DTS Master. When the BD50 comes out or the Denon 3800 that will decode this format, also, these will be excellent players for that setup.

For you, this is obviously not an ideal player as you do not have the equipment to handle bitstreamed audio and possibly 1080p/24 video.

Clear enough?

S~

There is nothing misleading in my statements. I did not recommend the BD30 to the OP. I will tell you this. My setup includes a pre/pro that decodes advanced audio codecs, so does Elway's, Cochiseguys, and JoeSP (sorry to drag you in Joe) to name only a few on this forum. My setup also has a projector that can properly handle 1080p/24. For Elway, Joe, others here and on AVS, this is an excellent player.

On my setup downstairs, my Lexicon does not decode advanced audio so my players need to decode internally. So in this instance, the BD30 is not an ideal player. Therefore, my players decode internally everything except DTS Master. When the BD50 comes out or the Denon 3800 that will decode this format, also, these will be excellent players for that setup.

For you, this is obviously not an ideal player as you do not have the equipment to handle bitstreamed audio and possibly 1080p/24 video.

Clear enough?

S~
You do know what your saying is akin to me saying my Ford Expedition is a excellent car, all you need to add is the engine, transmission, and the wheels. Your rational for saying the BD30 is an excellent player seems to be based on a extraordinary AV setup and not on real world practicalities. One would assume that a person looking to just now upgrade their DVD player is not going to have a $1000 Denon laying around. I never said that you couldn’t find a perfect scenario for the BD30.

Last edited:
You do know what your saying is akin to me saying my Ford Expedition is a excellent car, all you need to add is the engine, transmission, and the wheels. Your rational for saying the BD30 is an excellent player seems to be based on a extraordinary AV setup and not on real world practicalities. One would assume that a person looking to just now upgrade their DVD player is not going to have a $1000 Denon laying around. I never said that you couldn’t find a perfect scenario for the BD30.

I never said the BD30 was excellent for all situations. You are the one that read into that. Just responding to something you know nothing about. Like I also said, I never recommended this particular player to the OP of this thread. My recommendation was to wait for the 50 or something else.

This particular player must be doing something right as it is selling very well.

S~

I never said the BD30 was excellent for all situations. You are the one that read into that. Just responding to something you know nothing about. Like I also said, I never recommended this particular player to the OP of this thread. My recommendation was to wait for the 50 or something else.

This particular player must be doing something right as it is selling very well.

S~
How much do I need to know to understand that you just can't admit that the BD30 won't be a good fit for the majority of the situations. Your recommendation is irrelevant at this point, its your stating its an excellent player that’s completely misleading. You keep referring to these off the wall out of the ordinary AV setups to justify your stance for the BD30, I’m just not buying it buddy. I don’t ever recall seeing the BD30 on Amazons top selling electronics list. At that price point it never will be. Not to mention the fact it doesn’t internally Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio.

I never said the BD30 was excellent for all situations.
Its excellent for few to none situations which is the root of this entire conversation. Don’t hit me with a one in a million scenario and proclaim it an excellent player. Once you recognize that the little light bulb will come on. I keep driving that point home and it keeps going over your head. Round and round we go.

This is my last post on this matter. I never said that the BD30 is a good fit for everyone and I never said that the BD30 was a good fit for the OP. You are the one that this keeps going over your head.

Since this is what I do for a living, I know exactly what sells and what doesn't. Having a receiver that decodes TrueHD and DTS Master is not an off the wall scenario. If it was, Toshiba, Denon, Samsung, Panasonic, and Pioneer wouldn't have come out with these players that bitstream. Just as important is having players that decode internally.

Since you want to go by Amazon's numbers.... The BD30 is the number one selling BD standalone player right now.

Amazon.com Electronics Bestsellers: The most popular items in DVD Players & Recorders. Updated hourly.

Geez, I guess these receivers are selling as Onkyo holds 3 of the top five receivers.

Geez, Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Integra must be selling some receivers.

Bye

This is my last post on this matter. I never said that the BD30 is a good fit for everyone and I never said that the BD30 was a good fit for the OP. You are the one that this keeps going over your head.

Since this is what I do for a living, I know exactly what sells and what doesn't. Having a receiver that decodes TrueHD and DTS Master is not an off the wall scenario. If it was, Toshiba, Denon, Samsung, Panasonic, and Pioneer wouldn't have come out with these players that bitstream. Just as important is having players that decode internally.

Since you want to go by Amazon's numbers.... The BD30 is the number one selling BD standalone player right now.

Amazon.com Electronics Bestsellers: The most popular items in DVD Players & Recorders. Updated hourly.

Geez, I guess these receivers are selling as Onkyo holds 3 of the top five receivers.

Bye
Just as well we end it cause I'm not going to budge. I'll end it with this. Can you tell me with a straight face that more then 1% of people have a home entertainment setup that is compatable with the BD30.

If not I can't stress to you how much I stand behind my point that its misleading to say the BD30 is an excellent reciever especially considering that its predecessor from Panasonic could handle those hi def formats.

From the updated review of the BD30's predecessor DMP-BD10:

"Editors' note: Panasonic has released a new Blu-ray player, the DMP-BD30, which meets the requirements of Blu-ray Profile 1.1 (more info here) and adds bitstream output for high-resolution audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. However, the DMP-BD10A is still worth considering as it has built-in decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, plus it has 7.1 analog multichannel outputs"

Jack up the price and reduce the functionallity from the previous model and call it an excellent player. Ha:confused:

BYE

Bye

Ill give you props, you hung in there way longer than I could.

On another subject, Ive noticed before you've talked about what you do for a living. So where exactly is it, or what is it??? PM if need be. just curious.?

Ill give you props, you hung in there way longer than I could.

On another subject, Ive noticed before you've talked about what you do for a living. So where exactly is it, or what is it??? PM if need be. just curious.?

No secret. Just one of my two jobs (well three right now). I design Home Theaters.

S~

Well that certainly was an interesting read. I think I actually learned something out of this, the format war isn’t over, and I’m going to stay out of it until such time a standard is settled. This discussion proves to me it’ll be sometime before it’s settled, especially with in the BD side. It seems that HD-DVD has less compatibility issues since fewer players are in charge of it and other companies are coming out w/ new players. Neither format after further investigation is going to get any of my $ at this time. I guess its back to format ambivalence for me for now.

Well that certainly was an interesting read. I think I actually learned something out of this, the format war isn’t over, and I’m going to stay out of it until such time a standard is settled. This discussion proves to me it’ll be sometime before it’s settled, especially with in the BD side. It seems that HD-DVD has less compatibility issues since fewer players are in charge of it and other companies are coming out w/ new players. Neither format after further investigation is going to get any of my $ at this time. I guess its back to format ambivalence for me for now.
???

I think you owe it to teachsac and nonrev to buy one.

???

:haha

At the very least, since you need a new DVD player anyway, get the A3 for under $125 at Amazon and enjoy some great upconversion of SD DVD (and this is coming from a blu-blood).

EDIT: I just checked the price after I posted. It's now $118.49 with free shipping and no sales tax at Amazon (depending where you live). If I had more than one HDMI input on my 3-year-old TV, I'd get one at that price!

This is incorrect. I do agree, if you are hesitant and just want good upconversion, that you should buy an A3.

???

I owe them a great thanks of reinforcing why I'm going to sit this one out a bit longer. I'll revaluate once the version 2.0 of BD comes out but until then I'll just use a backup cheapie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)