Help needed on how to wire for upcoming dish install

mariners1999

Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Hello,

I have gone through page after page of posts and don't see an install that is like mine. I have a 2 story house and am redoing my basement to be a sports themed area with a 42 inch plasma and 2 20 inch lcd t.v.'s on the other walls. The way I WAS going to wire and would like to make sure this will work with dish is the following:

1) Run a 100 foot RG6 cable from the spot my HD/DVR receiver will be placed in to the spot on my house that will be where the dish will be placed outside.

2) While the walls are not sheetrocked run 3 RG6 cables to the areas they will be hooked up to the 3 tv's and plug all 3 into a splitter next to where the HD/DVR receiver will be placed.

3) Run 2 more 50 foot RG6 cables up from the place the HD/DVR will be placed in my basement to the back of the SD t.v. on the main floor of my house and the other to the SD t.v. in the bedroom. Then plug both of those cables into a seperate cable splitter.

4) When the Dish guy puts my dish up on the house he will plug the RG6 (100 foot) cable into the dish and then bring the box to the basement where I will plug the 2 TV out jacks into the cable splitters I have already hooked up and all TV's should work. The basement T.V.'s will all be watching the same chanel and the mainfloor/bedroom will have to watch the same chanel.

Will this work????

Thanks.

Yes. Personally I would just run two lines to every jack you want to install, and junction them all in one central location(the attic, a basement closet, etc.) I would run (at least)two lines from the Dish location(better make absolutely sure that the dish can go where you want it to go). You never know what your needs will be in the future. Your way will work just fine for the dual tuner, but who knows what the next box will be like? You might want to add more boxes later, or scrap satellite and go with digital cable. If you have the time and the cable, you might as well do it right. The cables being terminated in one location means the splitters will be there too, this will help for future service of the system.

It just makes things simpler, but it might be a bit more work.
That's what I would do.

will that work... yes
but is it the best suggestion... probably not

if the tv's you are connecting to the HD/DVR are Hi-def... why aren't you running hi-def cables to them? If nothing else, at least run hi-def cabling to the 42". The 2 smaller tv's may not need to be HD, but you at least want the big one to be.

As far as what type of HD cabling... that depends on your tv. You can get component, dvi, hdmi, ect at the lengths you need... or you could run a few runs of Cat6 and use that to run the HD

Oh yeah, there won't be an RF output on the 622 or 722 for TV1, so you'll have to use some sort of HD cabling to mirror downstairs, and since TV2 isn't HD, I don't see why you can't use coax with regular F connectors. AV would be a little better picture, but having RG-6 ran to those locations wouldn't hurt. I would still junction all the cable in one spot and install any splitters for the backfeed there, and run two lines from the Dish location. I don't know why you'd want all those cables terminating right by the plasma, but it'll work I guess. Installers do carry diplexers and splitters, and usually have some method for tracing lines. All we really need is the cable ran. Running back and forth across an attic chasing lines and splitters, etc. is a pain.

Just to be clear, you don't NEED two lines coming from the Dish, if you are just getting one DVR, but I like to think ahead. Just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts