Help needed with new wiring of dvr

dlts4u

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Kalispell,MT
Hi, i hope im posting this in the right area. i have 2 questions about running cable to the dual tuner DVR we just purchased. We have a SuperDish with DP34 switch.Bare with me,female here :)
At this time we only have one cable coming out of the switch and going to our main tv. The last Satellite guy we had out for a service call took off the other one we had, since at the time we didnt have a second tv in the bedroom anymore.
He also has the cable ran straight into the house and to the receiver.
OK ,so now we not only have a second tv(that i have a cable coming out from receiver and ran under house to 2nd tv),but have purchased a dual tuner DVR as stated above.
What i need to know is if i need to run another cable along side of the current one to feed each of the two dual tuner inputs? or is thre another way.
And lastly,if the service guy ran the cable straight to the reveiver from the switch, am i correct in thinking its not grounded?Please help we are hopeing to get this hooked up on sunday. any and all appreciated.sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
The grounding block would be between the dish and the DP34. If there is one installed. Running another wire just like the first one is the way to get a second signal to the dual tuner.

Welcome to Sat Guys!!! and good luck.

re:dvr wiring help

thanks for the reply. the dish and the box are way up on the roof,attached to our fireplace chase. so il'l have my husband climb up and take a look when he gets home. at least now we have an idea about where the grounding should be. and thanks for the welcome :)

:confused: Husband says since dish and switch box are both up on a very high and steep pitched roof,putting a ground between the two,would very hard. would putting one lower where the cable goes into the house work?:confused: we live out in the woods so that was the only way the installer could get a signal was to mount it way up there.

Last edited:
No, the installer COULD have mounted the switch lower, he was just being lazy. :(

Anyway, the simplest thing to do is attach a 10ga solid ground wire to the ground lug on the switch, and attach it to a proper grounding point. The ground rod near your telephone or electrical box will do fine.

And I do NOT want to hear from anyone saying the switch is not suitable for grounding - we've gone round and round on that many times before. It's fine, even if E* removed the wording from the manual because they didn't feel like bothering to fight it with the idiots at the NEC or UL or whereever.

Okay ,he ran the extra cable we needed ,but left some slack till we are sure what to do about the grounding.DVR is all hooked up and working great:)
Running the wire down to the back of the house would certainly be easiest, providing the length of the wire is not an issue.

Last edited:
Perhaps you meant "BEAR with me?" ;)

Since she has a dual tuner (in addition to the main TV STB), she'll need a separator at the end of that single cable run from the switch. Will a separator work with a DP34? Or she could run two cables from the switch to the new TV's dual tuner STB.

Run length up to 100' OK. Probably 150' - depends upon which equipment and the quality of the coax. I think the new DPP stuff is good to 200'.

The DP can go to 200 feet as well. The legacy can go up to 100 feet. I just ran three wires in from each feed of the SuperDish (105/121, 110, 119) into the home then put my DP-34 switches in there so that I would not have to run another wire each time I wanted to add another receiver/tuner. I would also think it would work better that way with switches and it keeps the switches inside the home where the weather will not batter them and easier access.

dlts4u said:
Okay ,he ran the extra cable we needed ,but left some slack till we are sure what to do about the grounding.DVR is all hooked up and working great:)
Running the wire down to the back of the house would certainly be easiest, providing the length of the wire is not an issue.
The wire should be as short as possible. That is, run it straight to the ground point - don't go running it around a bunch of conrners that you don't have to.

If you're still asking about how to ground it (there's a "?" in the diagram), if it were me, I'd go straight down, drive a rod, and then if you care, tie that rod to the main one, running horizontally at ground level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)