Help needed with Super Home Node and Agile Modulator Backfeed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kozmocat

Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
I have the same configuration as the diagram from the link below, except that I have a DP Twin connected to a DPP44 switch instead of the DPP Twin.

http://www.solidsignal.com/dishnetwork/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Diagrams/DistributionExample8.pdf

I have analog Cable TV, just the Basic Broadcast service so I can get the local village and college broadcast channels. A few of the regular cable channels also come through (apparently they can’t filter these out.)

Everything is working, but the picture on the Agile Modulator Backfeed is a little snowy. The cable channels are clear. If I disconnect the home node and run the Agile Modulator Backfeed straight to a TV, the picture is crystal clear. I tried using different channels but the only ones that come in at all are 81-83.

What am I doing wrong?

Hmm, this is interesting. I temporarily disconnected the CATV input on my super home node, and suddenly my TV2 feed works perfectly (minus the cable channels of course). However, once I hooked my cable TV back up, TV2 returns to being a snowy mess.

I tried every single possible channel, and only 75 works (which happens to be sandwiched between two analog channels). I can kind of make out stuff on that channel, but there's snow all over and it's not very watchable.

You will need to buy a trap to eliminate some channels from the cable feed so as not to interfere with the receivers modulated output.

The problem you are experiencing is the noise on the cable system is being amplified by the super home node right along with the actual cable channels. In the box that your dish receiver came in there should be a signal attenuator (it will have a label on it saying only to use it for TV2 in certain situations). try installing that on the cable input side of your super home node. This may bring the noise from your cable down enough that your TV2 feed will clear up. Hopefully, it will not bring down the quality of your cable signal too significantly. I have had the best luck with cable channel 116 - 120 for most people that I do this for. If that doesn't work, try using a splitter to join the two feeds together (instead of the super home node), or a cheap radioshack amp on the TV2 output from you receiver to try to amplify the signal from your receiver above the cable noise. Good luck with it.

I'm not sure that solution would fit my needs, because I am receiving cable channels on 70-74 which I would like to keep. Plus, that NF-470 is a little too much out of my price range.

Would I be able to get away with using a low pass filter instead?

Channel Plus NF-471 Notch Filter Blocks CATV Channels 75 - 80 and UHF 24 Creates CATV 76 - 79 NF471 1 Pack In-Line Notch Filter Coupler Barrel Adapter, Part # NF-471: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Video, Sate

In summary,

When trying to inject channels onto a cable using RF and seeing interference, you will need either a Low/high Pass filter, or a Notch Filter.

A notch Filter can be purchased to create a "Notch" in the RF signal blocking a specific frequency so that you can insert your own signal at that point.

A low pass filter is less selected, and will filter out all RF signals above the the pass band . This allows you to insert your own signal at that point and above.

If you are modulating multiple channels, and your Cable TV signal is only using lower channels, then a low pass filter may be best.

If you r are modulating one or two channels, and your cable TV signal uses a wide band, you may do best with one or two notch filters to carve out a couple channels for you to inject your modulated channels on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)