help needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

geodesic

Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
I need some help setting up a cs4000. The problem is not my location, or the antenna setup. Multiple satellites have been tried. Been fighting with it for hours and can't get anything except five supposedly scrambled chanels on telestar 5. Channels; one,two,test, fxtv150, and fxtv200 are all I can pick up.

TIA

Welcome to Satelliteguys :)

Make sure your LO settings are correct in the menu, Some more info on your setup would help, what LNB you're using etc.
It can be frustrating but that's half the fun (!?)

help still needed

Not the LO frequency. Kept fighting with it and finally ID'd a satellite. Triple checked the antenna setup. No doubt about it, something is bent with the dish. LNB is looking off 6-7 degrees from where it should be, and I don't know what angle the misplacement occurs in. Barely appears bent to the eye E-W. No idea how it may be off N-S.

This wouldn't be a problem with an on axis dish, but I don't know how to straighten out this antenna.

The dish is an off axis (31.75"x29.5") Fortec Star Digital System Antenna. Can anybody find a link to the geometric information necessary to make sure the LNB is in the correct location relative to the perimeter of the dish????

TIA

geodesic said:
I need some help setting up a cs4000. The problem is not my location, or the antenna setup.
positive on that?

Multiple satellites have been tried. Been fighting with it for hours and can't get anything except five supposedly scrambled chanels on telestar 5. Channels; one,two,test, fxtv150, and fxtv200 are all I can pick up.

what is your location? Are you sure the elevation is right?
What LNB are we using? Universal or standard

Iceberg said:
positive on that?

>what is your location?

38.725N
91.221W

>Are you sure the elevation is right?

No, It is set according to the included instructions. A way to independently verify it would be welcome.

>What LNB are we using? Universal or standard

What's the difference?

A universal LNB has 2 L.O. (Local Oscillator) settings-- 9750 and 10600.

Usually, in the menu where you select the LNB type, when you select 'Universal 1' you'll get L.O. 9750/10600 in the L.O. field. If you have a universal LNB, you'll need to set it this way, or it will default to the lower frequency (9750) side. Only Cubavision operates in this frequency range, so you wouldn't pick up anything else. When you select Universal for LNB type, the receiver injects the necessary 22khz tone to switch the LNB to the upper frequency range (L.O. 10600) that most channels operate within.

You can tell if the LNBF is 'Universal' or 'Standard', the other type, by looking at the specifications sticker on the LNBF. Often it will say 'Universal' if it is a universal. The other way you can tell is by looking at the printed L.O. value. If its 9750/10600, it's a universal. If its 10750, its a standard.

>
Tron said:
A universal LNB has 2 L.O. (Local Oscillator) settings-- 9750 and 10600.

>Usually, in the menu where you select the LNB type,

Didn't have that menu, but there was a whole bunch of frequencies to choose from.

>The other way you can tell is by looking at the printed L.O. value. If its >9750/10600, it's a universal. If its 10750, its a standard.

10.75Ghz was on the box and sticker, so I used that. Didn't say universal or standard anywhere in the papers.

It must be the receiver, if you at other satellite and same thing, receiver, receiver problem.

sksatellite said:
It must be the receiver, if you at other satellite and same thing, receiver, receiver problem.

It might be the receiver. Can't figure out why there's no audio on AMC3 fta channels while the picture is perfect.

I went out and tried bending the LNB support arm so it looks better "squared" E-W with the dish.
This helped a lot, getting more satellites now, but I think it's still off N-S since the elevation angle still isn't what instructions say it should be.

I wish someone could tell me how to check the LNB location to the perimeter of the dish. Until I'm certain there isn't a problem with the antenna, I can't determine if there's a problem with the reciever.

Doesn't ANYBODY know how to "square up" an off axis dish ?????????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)