HELP! New service panic

Status
Please reply by conversation.

1rarebird

Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Naperville
Anyone know how large the sightline has to be for an HD dish?

Is the signal like a laser or more like a wave?

I just moved and have limited SW exposure (due to a wooded setting but have a clearing that provides a fair SW sightline )and installer balked
said we barely could get a standard feed let alone HD cause it pulls from multi
satellites.

Did I get a lazy installer or is my site really not appropriate? How can I tell?

10 year Sunday Tickett holder going thru withdrawl..help me.......................

bird

Most markets only require the Slimline-3 dish, which looks at 99-101-103. You don't have a state in your location, but if it's Naperville IL, you are in the Chicago DMA, and your HD locals are carried on 103 (SD are on 101). So as it stands, unless you want Spanish, you shouldn't need to see 119. BUT, Directv's line-of-sight policy is to require 10 degrees clear in either direction to avoid blockage by swaying trees. Again if this is Naperville IL, you will need a clear shot at 186°-210° (S-SSW), 40° up.

If you have an Iphone/Ipad/Touch (4G) there is an app called DishpointerAR that will show you the locations of the satellites in the sky, overlaid on top of the camera picture, so you can see anything that would block them, or any area of your property that might be be better than another (the dish doesn't have to be on your roof, it can be on a pole in your yard if the LOS is better there).

http://www.dishpointer.com/2009/augmented-reality-satellite-finder/

Last edited:
Dishpointer AR works well on the iphone 4 or 3GS. Do your own sight survey. Jersey Matt is right that DTV wants 10 degrees on either side. Let us know what you see with Dishpointer. Make sure, after you open the app, that you do a compass calibration. Hold the iphone up in a "steering wheel" configuration and turn it 90 degrees to the right, hold for about 5 sec, then continue to 180 degrees, hold, then 270. After getting back to the original position, place the iphone on it's tummy for 5 sec, then butt for 5 sec. Then lift up and look through the camera. Make sure you aren't near any large metal objects. Good luck.

Thanx for the solid..

Man U guys are up late...

Thank you both for helping me, help myself, I truely appreciate your
willingness to respond.

Best to you & I'll post the result of the iphone thing..

bird

I guess I must be crazy casue each time I have moved I carry a $12 compass in my pocket when I am scouting new locations.

I guess I must be crazy casue each time I have moved I carry a $12 compass in my pocket when I am scouting new locations.

You may well be crazy, but I don't think this is the proof! ;)

LOL. I love it. Yep, its amazing what a few dollars and about 5mins of due diligence (aka look before you leap) earns you in the long run.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)