Help newbie with equipment decision

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mehdi

Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Beaverton, OR
Hi Everyone... I've been lurking around here for a while and have browsed quite a few of the posts. So much that I'm now convinced I should jump in and buy my very own FTA equipment and start enjoying the available offerings.

I would like to ask the experts here and get some help in picking the components for my system. I would appreciate any help I can get from all you knowledgeable folks. Here are some of the items I should get out of the way first:

- My location is Beaverton, OR in Zip code 97007 (Latitude 45.45, Longitude -122.83).
- I would guess at this time (with my limited knowledge) that the best view of the south from my house would be gained with a roof mounted dish. The roof material is Cedar Shake.
- Although I am mainly interested in ethnic programming offered on Intelsat Americas 5 at 97 West, I would love to access the sport and other programming specifically on Galaxy 10-R at 123 West. All other satellites would be a welcome addition.
- I would like to have component video output and AC3 sound with Optical out from the receiver if at all possible. I have a projector displaying on a 120" wide screen, so the picture and sound quality are important to me.

My questions are:

- Based on my location in the Pacific Northwest, and the fact that I want access to multiple satellites, what size dish and motor should I consider?
- I "might" want to add a DVB card to my PC down the road for possible HD reception. Should I start with a dual LNB to begin with in order to make life easier down the road?
- A quick browse of this forum identifies Traxis DBS3500, Pansat 3500, Fortec Mercury II (Classic??), and Coolsat 5000 as the best receivers. Are there other units I should consider? Based on my location and the motorized dish recommended above, which receiver would yield the best result?

Thanks very much for the help.

Cedar shake may not be the best surface to mount a dish! If you drill into it the wood will split!!!!

Get a 1 meter dish at all possible, 30" is the minimum!

A single LNBF would work, but I RECOMMEND the Invacom QPH-031 LNBF! Has 2 circular and 2 Linear outputs! You will be FULLY future proofed!

I like and use the Traxis DBS 3500 receiver and LOVE it! Have tried MANY other receivers and installed just about all of them!

I also RECOMMEND the DVB World USB receiver! Works FLAWLESSLY for HD and 4:2:2 with the software included "OUT THE BOX" :)

I am sure the other members will also have their own opinions :)

Hi Pete,

PSB said:
Cedar shake may not be the best surface to mount a dish! If you drill into it the wood will split!!!!

I totally understand. The main reason I suspect the roof is the best location is that I do have a roof overhang on the south side of the house, and although I think I would be able to clear the house next door, I'm not sure if there would be enough room for the dish to seek all the satellites.

PSB said:
Get a 1 meter dish at all possible, 30" is the minimum!
A single LNBF would work, but I RECOMMEND the Invacom QPH-031 LNBF! Has 2 circular and 2 Linear outputs! You will be FULLY future proofed!

Question: Would a larger dish bring in more signal and/or better quality signal? Do you have any particular brand of dish, motor and mount you could recommend?

I really appreciate the help. Thanks!

A larger dish will certainly collect more signal giving you better signal quality, not better picture quality.

A 30" dish will work for 99% of the FTA channels 99% of the time. I like the Winegard 30" dish and if you can get the 1m Winegard I would go with that.

I use the SatelliteAV 36" dish here in MN. and it works GREAT!

Of course you want to get the dish on the roof and that's where the main challenge will lie.

When chosing a location for a motorized dish visualize an arc that ranges from the eastern horizon to the highest point due south and ending on the western horizon.

Use the following coordinates to assist with visualizing this arc and checking for LOS (line of sight).

East Compass Reading: 93 degrees
Elevation: 10 degrees

South Compass Reading: 163 degrees
Elevation: 37 degrees

West Compass Reading: 206 degrees
Elevation: 27 degrees

If the dish must be mounted on a wood shingle roof it is best to use a non pen mount with a pad. Shingles also expand and contract with changes in moisture. Besides causing leaks, the aiming of the dish could also be affected.

Pete & Brian: Thanks much for your help...

At this time, I think I will see if there is any Coolsat 5000s left as part of the SatelliteAV Powerbuy. I will add the 36" dish and the Invacom QPH-031 LNBF to the order.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for this info! It will come in handy!

SatelliteAV said:
When chosing a location for a motorized dish visualize an arc that ranges from the eastern horizon to the highest point due south and ending on the western horizon.

Use the following coordinates to assist with visualizing this arc and checking for LOS (line of sight).

East Compass Reading: 93 degrees
Elevation: 10 degrees

South Compass Reading: 163 degrees
Elevation: 37 degrees

West Compass Reading: 206 degrees
Elevation: 27 degrees

If the dish must be mounted on a wood shingle roof it is best to use a non pen mount with a pad. Shingles also expand and contract with changes in moisture. Besides causing leaks, the aiming of the dish could also be affected.

Remember that the coordinates that I gave are for Portland, Oregon. The true south elevation will vary depending on your latitude.

SatelliteAV said:
Remember that the coordinates that I gave are for Portland, Oregon. The true south elevation will vary depending on your latitude.

it varries depending on your longitude no ?

updatelee said:
it varries depending on your longitude no ?
The elevation of the top of the satellite arc is based on the site latitude. The range of the viewable satellites available in the arc is dependent on the site longitude.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts