Help On Amp

Jamey K

Recovering Voomer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2005
West Texas
I have a Sony STR-DE945. For some reason, there is no audio coming out of the Fronts or Rears.

Center is working. Sub is working.

I have tried several inputs...DVD, SAT, DVD 2. Nothing changes.

The amp is showing is it outputting in DD, & DTS. I have checked every setting. I can adjust the volume on Center and Sub.

Would you thing this is a setting somewhere or is this a malfuntion in the amp?

What make & model is the DVD player?

Does it have any audio output setup features in its menu?

How do you have the DVD audio out connected to the Sony A/V receiver?

While you are watching the multi-channel DVD what sound selector do you have set on the A/V receiver?

What make & model is the DVD player?

Does it have any audio output setup features in its menu?

How do you have the DVD audio out connected to the Sony A/V receiver?

While you are watching the multi-channel DVD what sound selector do you have set on the A/V receiver?

Panny DMR-E85H, HR10-250, and my Tosh HD-DVD are all playing without Fronts & Rears.

I even tried the Tosh on the 5.1 analogs and no joy. Center and Sub only.

I'm using Optical from all them to my amp.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the settings in any of those have changed since yesterday, when it was working just fine.

Are you asking about using a separate AMP or the above mentioned STR-DE945 A/V receiver?

At any rate; this quote "to the best of my knowledge, none of the settings in any of those have changed since yesterday, when it was working just fine." would have me worried as well; down to one simple accidentally pressed button to the failure you are hoping it is NOT.

Have you tried the audio test yet? The button that emits the white noise to each channel so you can test setup, placement and volume levels. I would think if that works it is a simple setup issue, if not; bad news.

At any rate; this quote "to the best of my knowledge, none of the settings in any of those have changed since yesterday, when it was working just fine." would have me worried as well; down to one simple accidentally pressed button to the failure you are hoping it is NOT.

damn..lol! I was hoping my kids or my wife pushed something somewhere that i could find and reset.

Have you tried the audio test yet? The button that emits the white noise to each channel so you can test setup, placement and volume levels. I would think if that works it is a simple setup issue, if not; bad news.

Yes I have. Nothing changes. I have even turned the Center down and raised everything else. No sound.

New might cost a bit more, but never having to worry about the repair is worth a fortune IMHO. May I suggest a Yamaha, Onkyo or Denon. I love my Yamaha RX-Z9 and a buddy of mine has the near Onkyo equal and his dad has the Denon near equal. I can get you data if you end up researching.

Not familiar with the sony receiver but that yamaha z9 is top of the line. Only problem is no HDMI in. I just bought the yamaha rx-v1600 new for $525. Last years model that lists for $1100. I wanted the 2 hdmi in, 3 component in, and 5 toslink optical audio in. Good enough sound quality for most people. The denons are nice too but their remotes look cheap. Sony generally appears to have gone down in reliability. Hey whiskey guy are you worried about not having hdmi switching in your receiver eventually? Maybe they will put out a Z10 for you big spenders soon.

New might cost a bit more, but never having to worry about the repair is worth a fortune IMHO. May I suggest a Yamaha, Onkyo or Denon. I love my Yamaha RX-Z9 and a buddy of mine has the near Onkyo equal and his dad has the Denon near equal. I can get you data if you end up researching.

I'm open. I've seen an Onkyo TX-SR604 advertised a lot. Also a Denon DEA-697C1. I

I thinking $600-700. I don't think I can afford the Yamaha right now since I'm going to replace my laptop this Christmas.

My guess is that repair would be almostas much as buyonga simialr receiver. But taht Onkyo should serve you well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts