Help on dish/switch set-up needed

antilamr

Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
I signed up for dish before the 15th of Aug to enable myself to take advantage of expiring offer from dish. I'm going through a local distributer that I hooked up with at the local home show.
What I'm Getting:
942 hooked up to 2 tv's (1 hd, 1 sd) $250 fee
2-811's to 2 hd tv's $5 each per month
top 60 for 19.99 for 3 months, free hbo/sho for 3 months, 49.95 set-up with rebate on first months bill, free standard hd package for 6 months, dish replacement plan for free for the life of my contract. $5 Voom package. One year commitment.

There comming out in 2 weeks(I wasn't ready until then) to install(their own installers) a dish and the 3 recievers. I told the sales guy I wanted 5 tv's hooked up. I have a new older hd reciever with a dish 500 dish. He told me I'd have to work something out with the installer to hook up the 2nd dish.

I know the dish 1000 is not out yet, so how do I get them to supply me with 2 dishes? I know some people got the second dish due to right to carry clause.
I'm not totally educated on dish yet and was hoping someone could educate me on what to tell them to make them supply me with the 2nd dish as part of my free install.

Also, is there certain switches or what ever I should be making sure they bring out to make this system function properly?(without them showing up and telling me that I need to pay extra for the hardware needed?)

Also, is there a prefered (proper) way to hook up 4 hd and 1 sd receiver?

I think their going to hammer ($) me once they're at my house and know I've canceled my cable.

I don't have the time to research this good enough to feel comfortable about what I need in time for the installation.

PLEASE HELP

Did you buy the fifth receiver from the dealer? Did DISH Notwerk give you a special offer for five receivers? The promotion is for a maximum of 4 receivers FREE. Be fair pay the man for his labor.

Boba,

I bought my hd receiver on clearance from a retailer 6 months ago in anticipation of getting dish at a later date. I'm not trying to cheat the installer, only trying to get all of the benifits that dish offers to other people. I've read posts where new subscribers got 2 dishes installed to enable them to get all the channels that they were entitled to. I don't want to be in a position where 6 months down the road I'm unable to get some of my locals or hd or whatever else I'm trying to pay for without having to be told that I need to pay for the installation of additional dishes to receive the programming. With all the satellite switching/adding as far as programing goes, that has been the case with some of the posts I've come across. I don't want to be stuck with a 1 year commitment and having no choice but pay additional funds or be unhappy with my programming choices. The second dish installs are part of the cost of doing business that dish puts up with.

How many people do you know that have 5 boxes subscribed (paying customer)? I have no problem paying for the signals I view. I just don't want to end up being a horror story that someone reads about.

Additionally, I don't plan on switching service like some people do every year to save on their monthly fees. I've stayed with my content provider for 8 years so far but am not happy with the pay structure for what I need. I think the extra dish at the front end is a small price to pay for a long term dedicated customer who subscribes to the tune of $100 a month.

First of all, what's your zipcode? That will give us an idea of what kind of dish or dishes you will need for your locals and also what kind of switch you'll get.

I have 5 receivers in my account. I told the installer to install 4 receivers and I did the 5th one. All I needed was an extra DP34 switch that I bought myself. He only had to run the cables from the dishes to the switch and one run for one receiver. All of the other runs where in place for him.

Much more constructive

RandallA,

I live in 90720. I need to know what combinations of switches and how their hooked up to get me to 5 receivers.
Will a single dish get me all the locals, hd etc, or will I need a second one also? I just want to set this up once and be done with it. I have enough projects to do on the house and don't need another one that will need my attention on a on going basis.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

If you are getting delivered 1 ea 942, and 2 ea 811's, and have an existing receiver you will want connected as well, here's what I would do if I showed up at your house: I would install 1 Dish w/ a Dish Pro Twin LNBF, pointing at 119/110, and a 2nd Dish w/ a Dish Pro Dual pointing at 61.5 for Voom (be prepared for the installer to call a 'No Line of Sight' on the 61.5 orbital position, as it is an East coast sat, and it's more often than not that you CANNOT get LOS from your house on the West coast), I would then take my 3 lines and plug 'em into my SAT ports on my switch(es).

The reason I say switch(es): The installer may not have access to a DPP 4:4 switch, which allows you to run just 1 cable to your 942, instead of the standard 2. If the installer has to go with a DP 3:4 switch, he will need two of them (need a total of 5 Sat ouputs. You may be charged extra for the switch(es), so be prepared.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys, hope this helps.

.... AND... I forgot.... I don't have access to info on what SAT your locals are on, so be prepared for a 3rd dish pointing at 148, or a SuperDish. If your locals are on the 121 SAT you will DEFINITELY need a DP 4:4 switch if you want and can get 61.5 for Voom... confused yet? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts