Help picking up 61.5 & 110/119

msnyder

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Apparently I qualify for CBS-HD, but before activating it on my account E* failed to tell me I needed another dish on my roof. I was able to find out my current dish picks up 110 & 119, but I also need 61.5. My question is this since E* wants $100 to come install the dish for a single free channel; can I replace my dish with another that picks up all three birds? If so, will I need any switches? I currently have a 811 and a 522 in the house, don't plan on adding anymore, soon anyway...

:confused:

No. And Yes.

Not possible to get 61.5 on the same dish as 110/119. Geometry, physics. Period.

Your best bet for hookup is a DP34 switch.

Since I only need that channel on my 811 (522 will not pick it up)... Can I use a smaller (read: cheaper) switch to bring in 61.5 on just the feed going to the 811?

This is how I am setup now:
single.jpg

This is how I invision the new setup:
dual.jpg

Sometimes I think everyone smokes crack... I just visited a local retailer to see if they had any used equipment I could pick up to fix my situation. I was hoping they would just give me the dish and switch. They wanted $99 for a dish and LNB and $29.95 for a SW21. These people are crazy. All this for a single channel that is provided at no charge...

I get locals out of Tyler, Texas. I know there are other channels on 61.5 but I don't know what they are. The only one I'm interested in is the CBS-HD. Maybe if I had a list of what else is at that location I might be more interested in the others.

I have a Dish 500 with 4 ports on it, 2 go to my 522, and 1 goes to my 811, the fourth is not attached to anything. I don't see any onther channels that's I'd be interested in on that location, mostly artsy, international, and religious channels it seems. Can I just hook up the 61.5 to the 811 feed and leave the 522 alone? Will that mess anything up?

Yes you can just run it to the 811. In my opinion, if you are going to go to the trouble to set up 61.5, go ahead and run it to all your receivers. You never know what Dish is going to do with their satellites. Just a way to "future-proof" your system.

Here is a less confusing list of what you will pick up on 61.5.

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/143

jlhugh said:
I am up here in north Texas. Let me see if I got my old dish and you can have it if you want to come get it. I'll also throw in a SW21 if I can find it too.

Thanks, but it would be a bit of a drive from Tyler to Whichita Falls. I think I found a Dish 300 from a buddy at work, I might take you up on your offer for the SW21 though.

You most likely will need a DP21 not a sw21. Your dish 500 is probably a DISHPRO so you will also need to make sure tht the dish 300 you get is a DISHPRO model.

dp or sw 21 wont work

since each line of the quad lnbf carries the 110 and 119 and when you add the 61.5 thats three satellites,the sw or dp 21 can only carry 2. the switch you need is a dp 34. lines 1 and 2 of the quad need to go to the first two inputs of the dp34 and the line from the single satellite needs to go two the third input. you still have to connect two lines of the dish quad even if its only going to one tv. (i had the exact same problem your having)

i bought my second satellite from a pawn shop, it was 15 dollars. i got a direct tv dish and a dish pro lnbf, it works fine.

mathius8 said:
since each line of the quad lnbf carries the 110 and 119 and when you add the 61.5 thats three satellites,the sw or dp 21 can only carry 2. the switch you need is a dp 34. lines 1 and 2 of the quad need to go to the first two inputs of the dp34 and the line from the single satellite needs to go two the third input. you still have to connect two lines of the dish quad even if its only going to one tv. (i had the exact same problem your having)

That doesn't make sense to me. Understand that I have 4 outputs on my LNB and only three of them are in use. One goes to my 811 and the other two go to my 522. If I am only trying to add CBS-HD to my 811 @ 61.5 then a DP21 with input one from my Dish 500 aka 110/119 and input two from 61.5 should accomplish this. Since I can only watch one channel at a time the DP21 should receive a serial signal from the 811 when I change the channel? Is this not correct? Please look at my diagram on the first page of this post and tell me if that is not correct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts