Help please. Someone set me straight. Need facts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shadysprings

Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Los Angeles
I have been a long time loyal Time Warner cable TV subscriber. I have two HD DVR's, two digital phone services, and the "Turbo" broadband internet service(13M down/1.5M up).

But I'm getting sick of all the TW whining and pricing games. If anyone who has experience with both TW and Satellite comment please.

I have a list of questions:
1> DirecTV, Dish, and Time Warner all claim to have the most HD channels. Not possible to all be the best. Who really has the most?
2> The location on my house for the dish would be upstairs on the balcony of master bedroom. Can the dish be connected to my existing CableTV wiring? Without running extra cables all over the house?
3> Can I connect multiple TV's around the house to one dish? Do they all connect through one cable system, like CableTV does?
4> Do I have to have a box at each TV? How about just for local basic channels?
5> If I use the existing wiring for the Satellite TV, I assume I then am required to go to DSL because Time Warner can't provide Road Runner cable model service on the same cable as Satellite TV.??
6> For that matter, can't run Digital phone service any longer either as that also runs on the cable TV wiring.

I have been a long time loyal Time Warner cable TV subscriber. I have two HD DVR's, two digital phone services, and the "Turbo" broadband internet service(13M down/1.5M up).

But I'm getting sick of all the TW whining and pricing games. If anyone who has experience with both TW and Satellite comment please.

I have a list of questions:
1> DirecTV, Dish, and Time Warner all claim to have the most HD channels. Not possible to all be the best. Who really has the most?
2> The location on my house for the dish would be upstairs on the balcony of master bedroom. Can the dish be connected to my existing CableTV wiring? Without running extra cables all over the house?
3> Can I connect multiple TV's around the house to one dish? Do they all connect through one cable system, like CableTV does?
4> Do I have to have a box at each TV? How about just for local basic channels?
5> If I use the existing wiring for the Satellite TV, I assume I then am required to go to DSL because Time Warner can't provide Road Runner cable model service on the same cable as Satellite TV.??
6> For that matter, can't run Digital phone service any longer either as that also runs on the cable TV wiring.

I'm have not been with TW, but I'll take a crack at helping you out.
Also, WELCOME to the SITE !!!

1. The most channels ?
Does it really matter if they have 25 more channels in HD, if they are channels you don't watch ?
Look at the list of channels provided by both carriers and see which one has more channels that YOU watch.
Also, quality is always better than quantity.

2. Can they mount a dish on the balcony ? Yes.
Can they use existing cable in the home ?
If it's up to standards, normally they like to use RG-6, the industry standard.
SOMETIME, RG 59 is there, can be used in most situations, but RG-6 would be preferred.
Also, there can be NO splitters in the existing home lines.

3. Connect all TV's to one dish ?
Yes, depending on the number of TV's, you'll probably need a Multiswitch if you have more than 4 locations, let D* know when you order so they will have the MS on hand.

4. A box at each location ?
Yes, unless you want to have the same program on each TV.

5. I would think if the Sat is more important to you, I would have TW or whoever you decide to use, run a new line to your modem/computer, they usually work best as a dedicated line anyways.

6. Do this at the same time as you are your HSI when ONE new line is being run, it sure beats having D* run new wiring thruout your whole house, provided the existing in adequate.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts