Status
Please reply by conversation.

george99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Hi,
I had to move the location of my dish.
I attached it to an out wall of my house, and pointed it roughly in the same direction as my neighbor's directv dish.

Note: My neighbor has a round dish and I have a 5LNB Slimline. Not sure if that matters.

Anyway, I couldn't get a signal. I went to radio shack and bought a satellite finder. I follwed the instructions and I got full signal with the finder even when I turned the dial all the way down. I thought "great, it can't get better than that".
However, my HR-21 shows all 0's for all tuners, satellites and transponders. No matter how much moved the dish and got a good signal with the finder, the receiver didn't work.

I took the receiver to my neighbor's house to test it, and it worked. So the receiver is ok.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

By the way, reading other posts I see that there are several different satellites that the dish can be pointed at. I am using the newest 5lnb slimline and an HR-21, and before I disconnected it, I saw that when I checked the signal on the receiver it always showed 101. I also checked a friend, and he also said 101. However, I am reading that there are others too. I am not sure the difference and which should be used.

If your using the rec. to check for signal, put it on the 101 and find that signal first and work from there.
If you had the dish already set up and working and moved it, IF you just took it down without loosening all nuts and bolts, you should be able to mount it, then make sure the mast is plumb, leave the elevation and tilt alone, they should be very close to the same, you should be able to get a signal with just the left and right adjustment.

btw, as far as using the meter you bought, it probably has a dial to fine tune it .
You will find a whole lot of sats up there if you look long enough.
You only need to worry about the D* sats, but the meter will not tell you what sat your pointing at, unless you bought a high dollar unit.

Jimbo

I have a $40 satellite finder from radio shack, so I guess it could be showing the wrong Sat.
Unfortunately, the dish was disassembled, and moved to a new location on the house. Long story.

I took the radio shack sat finder and connected it inline in 1 of the cables that run from the LNB to the receiver.

I also tried using the receiver's signal meter, but with no luck. Just 0's. I used dishpointer.com and I saw my house, and the direction that it needs to be pointed in is almost perfectly aligned with a wall in my house. I will try to use that as a general guide later this week when I try again.

I am thinking about getting a pro to do it. But I can't find any. What should I search for in google?
I am in Boca Raton, FL.

Like jimbo said, you need to get the settings from the receiver for your zipcode. Make sure the mast is perfectly plumb, and point in at the azimuth that the receiver tells you.

Then using your receiver and a tv, slowly swing the dish back and forth until you get a maximum signal on the 101 sat.

The slimline is not easy to tune with a low end tester. You can make it easier by knowing in advance what the coordinates are for your area. Go to the DirecTV website and you will find a section where you can type in your zip code and the coordinates will be displayed. These will be elevation, tilt and azimuth (left and right).

Otherwise the quickest and easiest solution would be to get someone local to aim it for you.

Go buy a $12 heading compass; you will have better luck finding signal with it over the meter you bought. Determine your azimuth, set the compass, and use it as the guide to begin aiming. If you are simply moving the dish, only the azimuth should change as related to the new mount location; the actual heading for you will be numerically the same.; the elevation and tilt (skew) will be the same; assuming your new location has the mast plumb/level..

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the tips.
It isn't the same plumb level. The whole thing was disassembled.
I couldn't do it for the last 2 days, so i will try probably tomorrow assuming the hurricane is gone.

If I end up hiring someone, how would I find them? What should I search for in google or other website?

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the tips.
It isn't the same plumb level. The whole thing was disassembled.
I couldn't do it for the last 2 days, so i will try probably tomorrow assuming the hurricane is gone.

If I end up hiring someone, how would I find them? What should I search for in google or other website?

The main thing you have to do is make sure the mast is perfectly plumb; mine came with a circular bubble level that fits perfectly into the round mast opening. It has a circle in the middle & when the level bubble is in the circle you are good to go. If you don't have this use a standard level & check the mast both vertically & horizontally. If you spend your time wisely doing the above, the following link/guide will be easier. While the 103 & 99 sats will be difficult to peak without a good understanding of your meter, you should be able to eyeball the 101, 110, & 119 with a compass. Start with the 101 & make small slow adjustments until you lock it in. I actually bring a small TV & the receiver right up to the dish (mounted on a chimney next to flat roof) & watch the signal meters like the old school days. I have had some trouble over the years with the newer heavier dishes (AT-9 & Slimline) & knowing how to re-aim the dishes in an emergency has saved many sporting events.

Give this guide a readhttp://www.solidsignal.com/manuals/Slimline_Dish_Installation_Manual.pdf

If all else fails, any local satellite vendor should be able to do the job professionally. If DTV installed it for you the first time the installer should have left his/her number & contact information with your receipt. They are usually more than willing to help at a reasonable price without the need of going through DTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts