Help - Quick Recap of E* market and Recommendations?

nicholassjenkins

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
Dayton, OH
Short version:
I had E* for 4 years, including 6000 + 921. Sold out and went to Voom. Voom died, went to cable, waiting for:
1) MPeg4 receiver deals for "new subscribers"
2) Whole-house DVR (or equivalent)
3) VOOM content to be bought (already had cable by time of E*/V* announcement -grrr)
4) E* to figure out what rooftop dish they were actually going to stick with

OK...so, now I need someone to tell me:
1) Where the market (and E*, specifically) is with Mpeg4 -- is it time to buy-in, yet...or wait another 6-12 months and then bite? If now, which HD DVR do I want from E* -- 622?
2) Reads (on this board) kinda like the 622 has some of the Voom-ish "Next Generation" Ethernet coupling capabilities in the works from right before going defunct? But, last year I read that E* was going to a mast-mounted DVR? So -- what's the scoop? (BTW...I had just rewired my house for V* multi-DVR solution right before it died...so I can support whatever)
3) What is the current size/shape of included/recommended/available dishes, and/or should I buy one of the after-market spherical dishes yet? Additionally -- I have 2 posts already from an old Dish 300 and 500 already on my roof, and BOLTED to a pair of 2x12's cross-mounted between trusses... I could just buy some new LNB's and switches -- or, I could let them install the latest whatever dish? Question on this...did the dish structural support platforms from any vendor ever get sized for industry-standard 2 foot on center trusses -- rather than just assuming lag bolts into 1/2 inch plywood will hold a dish in 50 mile and hour winds?
4) Where are we with the buy/rent scenario? Previously I bought, and always made money selling my receivers, so I'm ok with buying -- but the lease situation also doesn't look hateful. Thoughts -- especially since I'm starting from nearly scratch?

And yes, I did read many of the current posts -- but I don't really have enough time to read all of them to get fully caught up -- this message board has really grown, and there's a lot to wade through.

Thanks,
-NICK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)