HELP.....Re-Installing AE/AZ back bracket

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Longjack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Am in a remote area, with limited access to parts, etc. and
am loosing local channels more and more often, and existing AE/AZ bracket which I believe is a Type 2, BAU has rusted out (see pic) and and started sagging, and the only bracket I currently have is what I think is a Type 1, CalAmp 151561, which I'm really not sure of.
Before I mess things up further, was wondering if I could get some advice?
Have a SL3 LNB, with SWM LNB 8 channel switch feeding. HR24/200 or 500 that I used for setting up originally using tits signal meters.
Checked today's sat signals on 101, they are all 95 and above, except transponder 4,18 and 20 are at 0 and 26 is at 83.
I can also see sats 99 ca, cb and s, and sat 103 s, ca and cb, but that's it, no 119.
One big question is I don't see sat 119 and I thought I used that originally when setting up after getting max signal on sat 101?

Think I just saw somewhere that in this setup I won't see sat 119, but then how do I do a fine
tune alignment?

Can someone tell me if I can replace rusted bracket with this new bracket I have, or should I get another one.
And if I can use this new bracket, the steps of adjusting signal.
And do I need to be able to see sat 119 to do it successfully?
Would appreaciate any help what so ever, and thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4262.JPG
    IMG_4262.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4265.JPG
    IMG_4265.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
1. Your 101 signals look great.
2. The SL3 dish will not see the 119 satellite (it never did), but that's OK for most people
3. To align the SL3 you "dither" on 101 to find the center of the beam, and then fine tune to get max signals on 99ca/cb/103ca/cb. Should be at least the high 80s to low 90s.
4. What's your zip code? When you say you lose locals, is that the HD locals?

1. Your 101 signals look great.
2. The SL3 dish will not see the 119 satellite (it never did), but that's OK for most people
3. To align the SL3 you "dither" on 101 to find the center of the beam, and then fine tune to get max signals on 99ca/cb/103ca/cb. Should be at least the high 80s to low 90s.
4. What's your zip code? When you say you lose locals, is that the HD locals?

Thanks much for reply....Will the new bracket I showed in pic replace the rusted one?
The problem dish/bracket is at a vacation home on the sea coast, on the fringe of my local Orlando stations.
When the signal goes....digital blocks and blotchy picture, it happens on both the HD and SD local channels....usually in the late afternoon, early evening but not so much in the morning...weird.
Do I need to try and dither all 4 (99ca/cb..and 103ca/cb) channels?
Need to read up on that dither technique again.....:)
Thanks again.

Checking the sat beam maps, you are definitely right on the edge of the sat beam for Orlando. I'm surprised you get a consistent signal at all. I'd consider replacing the dish with an Alaska/Hawaii type. It's larger and will bring in a stronger signal. Looking at the back of your dish, I'd replace the whole thing even if you don't go to the larger dish.

Yes, let's ignore the bracket for the moment.
As chip says, your signal behavior is typical of being at the edge of any sort of coverage for the sat signals. I am sure you are outside what would be a consistent signal, which means it will vary with the weather and particularly with the temperature. So first lets see if there's a solution to this at all.
Dithering is done on the 101 signals, the objective is to find the middle of the 101 beam by finding the edges and then adjusting to the middle. Orlando locals are on a number of TPs, but lets pick a couple. What are the signals on 101 TP28? 103S TP23? How much do these change between "good" reception and poor reception?

Your dish has a 1st generation back assemble unit (BAU).
The new one is Revision 2 and will work fine

Doctor j

First, would like to say "thanks" for all the input and advice and good to know the bracket I have will work, but want to make sure what adjustments...might...help.
Texasbrit, you brought up some good points. On 101 TP 28 ranges from 0 to 28, and when I do get locals, I see 103S TP at 26, but when It's at 0, I get nothing..so thank you for pointing those specific TP's out.
Also interesting that as mentioned, higher temps create more issues, i.e. In the morning, at 78 I don't seem to have issues until it goes into the hign 80's.
If I were to redo bracket, what fine tuning/dithering would I concentatre on?
Many thanks again.

You always start by dithering on the 101 sat, to make sure you are in the center of the beam. But since your signals on the relevant transponders are so low, try this
Use dithering to find the center of the 101beam.
Use the fine tuning on the dish to try to maximize the signls on 101 TP28.
If you can't get signals consistently over about 60, then you are too far away from the center of the spotbeam for orlando sd locals and no matter what you try you won't make it work.
I you can't get SD locals you won't het HD locals because the hd spotbeam is narrower then the SD one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts