Help! Receiver doesn't recognize dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Geckotek

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Dallas
Forgive me for this possibly noob issue, but I just received the RCA DTC-210 and it doesn't seem to recognize the dish.

I've got the dish mounted on a pole on my balcony and I've used a satelite locator device I picked up on eBay to adjust the azimuth and elevation. The locator device receives power, lights up, beeps, and such, so I know I'm getting power from the receiver. I'm using the RG-6 coax shipped by VE directly from the receiver to the dish (I'm in an apt.) I have not grounded it due the current install being very temporary.

When going to the installation menu, I select the Oval-3 dish and then let it go at recognizing the satellites. It eventually comes back as failed. After doing so, the "Auto Detection" option is available. I try again using that option and it says "Detecting your dish type." It eventually comes back saying "Detecting your dish type is failed."

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Are you 100% sure you are aimed in the correct position? I mean, you may surely be hitting a satellite, but are you hitting the correct one?

Well, the azimuth and elevation are pretty much what was listed in the aiming guide. While I can't be 100% since I am new to this, I'm pretty sure due to comparing to my neighbors dishes as well.

Either way, isn't that message about failing to recognize my dish odd (not to mention grammatically incorrect)? I would think it should recognize the dish whether it sees a satellite or not. Am I wrong?

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

It sounds like you're hitting the wrong satellites. Getting the Phase-III dish aligned is tricky since you have 3 satellites you're trying to hit. Line it up for 101 and the other 2 satellites will come in fine. Make sure you have it set for transponder 1. You will need to move your dish back and forth just slightly while listening to the audio beeps to get it aligned.

I'm assuming 101 is SAT A? Besides trying my best to line up to the correct azimuth by sight, how can I do this? The signal strength meter on the receiverr never even registers any of the satellites at all. I tend to think this means I have more issues than just aligning the dish. I would think even w/ any obstructions...trees, etc, I should see the slightest bit of signal if I'm pointing in generally the correct direction.

There may be a couple of different issues. If you have the meter hooked up while you are trying to auto detect the dish it can cause issues. Don't do auto detect if you have a single set it to single if it's a multisat 3 lnb set it to that. Now just because the meter recognizes something doesn't mean it's the right thing. THERE ARE LOTS OF SATELLITES UP THERE. First step MAKE SURE IT'S LEVEL. If the mount is not EXACTLY level none of the numbers on the dish mean anything. Then set all the correct info on the dish. If you live in an apartment I'm assuming that the tv is somewhat near the dish. Set the receiver to the satellite signal screen and turn tv volume WAY up. Throw cheapo ebay meter in the garbage if you don't know how to use it it will only confuse you. Try aiming the dish where you think it should be. make slight adjustments in the dish one thing at a time DO NOT MESS WITH THE SKEW. If all else fails loosen elevation and left right aiming screws and search the sky SLOWLY. Go up and down maybe 10 degrees while slowly moving one direction when you hit the correct sat the tv will get real loud real fast. Then just get signal as high as you can and watch TV. If all else fails hire someone to do it for you.. GOOD LUCK

No, I did not leave the meter connected.
I have a Triple LNB dish so I set it to Oval-3.
I realize there are lots of satellites, but the DirecTV SATs should be the strongest in that region from what I've read.
I am aware of the need for a level mount. It is level.
I can see the TV through the window (easily....56")
I'm assuming Skew is Tilt. I had the tilt set to 70, but reset it to 90 based on your suggestion.

I have scanned the sky in the general vicinity as much as I can without going crazy for now and I have not seen the signal bar on the receiver change from 0. How quickly does it change? I was under the impression it was slow to respond. If it is so fast as you say, I should have see the meter on the TV change in some way to something above a 0 while I was scanning the sky. This really seems to be an issue of the receiver not recognizing the dish, not a problem with aligning the dish. But then again, this is my first time doing this and there are trees outside my balcony. My TV was serviced recently by a guy that also installs dishes. He says the trees should not be a problem though.

You also have to realize that DISH has 110 and 119 satellites up there too.

Neutron said:
You also have to realize that DISH has 110 and 119 satellites up there too.

That being the case, if I have mistakenly aligned to 110 or 119, shouldn't I see some signal on SAT B or SAT C? NONE of the SATs have ever reflected anything but a 0 for signal strength.

No. the easiest way to say it is that the reciever knows exactly what to decode when it is getting the CORRECT signals, otherwise its gives you an error message. Just because you are pointing at "something" doesn't mean the system can decode whatever "something" happens to be. It has to be on the correct bird.

It isn't really quick. As I said go SLOW. I am not saying tilt should be 90 set it to whatever the software tells you to for your zip code. Set elevation. Tighten the screws for azimuth (left/right) until the dish moves but still has a little resistance. Sometimes letting the bolts saty WAY loose throws off elevation. Try scanning. Try moving elevation a little do it again. If all else fails hire someone. Also, have you tried unplugging the receiver for a little while and turning it back on? Sometimes that fixes problems similar to rebooting a computer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)