HELP! Receiver going bad?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

old corps

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 13, 2005
Mid-Michigan
I've got a 622 with L613 software. I keep getting the "Signal is Lost" window even though I have good to excellent signal strength on the tps involved. If I hit the DVR or Search button the picture is restored. Frequently when I try to check signal strength it'll lock up when I get to Point Dish and I'll have to reboot. A Check Switch test shows everything is fine.
Example: Last night I was trying to watch/record the History Channel. I had this problem on tp22/61.5, tp31/129 and also on tp2/119 (the SD channel). I took out 129 and then 61.5 thinking there was a problem with one or the other. Clear night, no obstructions. Strength on 129 was 50-52, 61.5 was 40-42 and 119 was in the 70's. :confused:
I'd appreciate any feedback from any tech gurus before I go through the PITA of dealing with Dish. THANKS!

Ed

I appreciate the reply Mike but I've rebooted numerous times, both hard & soft. Everytime I get to Point Dish it locks up now and has to be rebooted. Gonna have to call 'em I guess. GGGRRRRR! God, how I hate to do that........:rolleyes:

Yeah.. it sounds like your software download might have been corrupted...

If, when you call your hear a thick accent and a humorously anglo sounding name, do yourself a favor and hang up and call back.

Yeah.. it sounds like your software download might have been corrupted...

If, when you call your hear a thick accent and a humorously anglo sounding name, do yourself a favor and hang up and call back.

;):rolleyes::up

I took 129 out again and things SEEM to be ok. For now anyway. We'll see. Calling Dish is my LAST option!

Ed

Perhaps this should be made a sticky...

to the OP:

I had the same problem about 2 months ago. I would be watching live satellite & the "lost signal" screen would come up w/ the proper channel name, satellite, & transponder. Each time I would go to "point dish" (menu 6,1,1) the receiver would lock up & I'd have to reboot.

Once I finally got to the point dish, the signal was fine. There was no rhyme or reason to this, it happened to 110, 119, and 61.5 or DVR. Yes, I said, DVR. I would get the lost signal screen for the last live SAT channel watched even while watching a recorded event. Also, it was very clear weather, day or night, didn't make a difference.

When the lost signal screen came up, I, like you, could press "search" or "guide" and the picture would come back. This all happened with the arrival of L612 software, so I too, blamed the update.

I posted here for suggestions & got suggestions ranging from replacing the 622 to trashing my Superdish. But listen to this:

Like I mentioned, it was quite clear weather. While trying to use my OTA antenna (which is in the attic) I was experiencing drop outs in that - signals ranging from 90 to 100 would immediately drop to 0 then come back... Now I'm thinking it's the 622, but for what ever reason, I went to one of my old analog sets to check the OTA signal there...

Anybody on here familliar with the term "ducting"? It's a term that ham radio operators, like me, use to describe what happens when the atmosphere gets "wound up" and signals from everywhere come in like they were next door. I was getting analog stations from everywhere strong enough to kill the adjacent local signals @ the antenna. Great, no antenna & intermittant Dish.

I can't say what made me try this, but something inside told me to try it. I was watching SAT and the signal went out again. This time I pressed "PIP" on the 622 remote & the OTA tuner was set as the pip source. There was no signal because of the "ducting" I did a "swap" and changed from the OTA to a SAT channel & "POOF" both SAT tuners were there. I never had any more trouble w/ this until just this Monday morning after a Sunday night onslought of timers (recording both SATS & watching an OTA). I was watching USAHD (61.5) and it went out & the lost signal window came up... I said to my self, "oh yeah?", and hit "PIP"... "What to my wandering eyes did appear..." but my ch.16 OTA w/ a black screen. Did the "SWAP" and set to another SAT channel & all was well.

Moral of the story: If you are getting the "Signal Lost" pop up during clear weather, on live or recorded shows, press "PIP" to see if it's set for your OTA tuner and is blank... Trust me on this, it fixes it.......

Rob in Virginia--
THANK YOU SIR!:up Things SEEM to be ok now (its rainy/cloudy now and I took 129 out of the equation) but you are describing EXACTLY the same circumstances as I had. I will certainly give your suggestion a try when it happens again. Notice I didn't say "if", lol. I do get my locals OTA as well as from Dish and I had been using the DVR to record from OTA and one of the other tuners--this receiver is always in single mode. I also have a 722 that's used in dual mode and it did the same thing. I thought that there might be a problem with the History Channel because that was were I was on both when they acted up. A "sticky" would be a great idea!

Chainblu--
Thanks for the reply but I did try that earlier. No indication of LNB drift.

Ed

Well it happened again and I'm happy to report that your "fix" took care of it! :up Thanks again for the help. I'm in Michigan but maybe Ike is shaking up the atmosphere, causing the "ducting" you mentioned. :confused: As opposed to last night today is just plain nasty. Nothing like the folks along the gulf are looking at though. I've been with Dish over 10 years and I've never had anything like this one before.

Ed

Well it happened again and I'm happy to report that your "fix" took care of it! :up Thanks again for the help. I'm in Michigan but maybe Ike is shaking up the atmosphere, causing the "ducting" you mentioned. :confused: As opposed to last night today is just plain nasty. Nothing like the folks along the gulf are looking at though. I've been with Dish over 10 years and I've never had anything like this one before.

Ed

Ed,
I'm glad to hear I could help & that there's nothing wrong w/ your receivers. I do believe it's a software glitch that came about w/ L612 & maybe they'll have a fix later, but until then, I don't mind keeping an eye on my "pip" source :)
Rob

Jim-I doubt it. :rolleyes: Why don't you call 'em and try explaining it to 'em???LOL;)

Sorry for being a smart a**. Couldn't resist.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts