Help Recquired-Installing Sat/TP on GI 350i

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Newt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience with adding a satellite & transponder(s) to a General Instrument Super350i. I received a 350i from my brothers father-in-law who only ever used it for C band VideoCipher subscription services and stopped using it a few years ago. Following along the lines of my love of FM-dxing, I want to use it to chase analog KU wild / backhaul feeds. I tried setting it up this morning, but all I am getting is analog snow !

Here's what I've done. I am using a 30" fixed dish with an Eagle Aspen linear LNB with 2 outputs (each supports H/V switching). I pointed the dish using a Coolsat 4000 at AMC 5 @ 79W { I have VERY limited sky in which to work with} hooked up to one output. I am on the correct satellite as I can see the following DVB signals: N.Y. Network / Off Track Betting / KTEL / Utah Education Network. I hooked the other output to the 350i. I did check with the 4000 to confirm signal present at the second location. Fortunately, the gentleman that gave me this receiver also still had the manual. Following {I think} the instructions for programming satellites into this receiver, I am only receiving the aforementioned snow.

There are a couple of settings in the menu that I'm not quite sure what they referring to, such as in the "Program Position" menu, under selection "2: Band", the choices are "C" , "KU-Anik Half", or "KU-GE Half". My guess is that the last two are referring to a band plan from which you can choose, but I may be way off in that assumption. I tried various combinations, but to no avail.

I suspect my hunt and peck efforts are not leading to the the storage of a new satellite in the system for which the receiver can lock on to....

So, either (a) I don't know what I'm doing, or (b) there is nothing on the feeds (I suspect the former !). Any guidance would be welcomed.

Also, does anyone know of a site where there are up to date / live discussions of wild feeds and backhauls? I suspect they are low key as I haven't found any, but that is probably a good thing. If someone is familiar with such a site, I would welcome a pm.

thanks,
Newt

On the GI , try Menu-3-5-0 for the satellite setup screen. IF it works like my GI550, I don't know that it does but is likely. You might also google for GI350 manual, there sometimes are links to those that pop up. Skyvision might even have one online, not sure there. I think sat setup is quite easy once you find the screens. Move the dish east/west with the remote keys (hit the 5 once you get to that setup screen-to highlight-Position, then push the right or left arrow on remote to move dish.) You'll have toscan awhile prob, to find any analog feeds though, not too many these days.
charles

EDIT>NEWT-i goofed, its Menu=6-3-5 for sat entry. the other menu is for audio, sorry I mixed you up.

Last edited:
Alot of the analog boxes won't control polarity and would only get the H side of the LNB.

AMC5 doesnt have much analog on there. If you move over to SBS6 (74W) there is usually some feeds up now

Here is how to program a satellite (find your box here)
http://www.satellitehelp.com/receivers_index.asp

also, C/KU recievers have older names in there but you really only need to set up a couple satellites in it. On my Toshiba, I have SBS6 (for SBS6 since its different frequencies) and I use Galaxy 7 for everything else. I use the loop out on my DVB Box (Coolsat 5000) to control polarity.

GE is an old name for AMC

Hi Iceberg, thank for the reply.

Alot of the analog boxes won't control polarity and would only get the H side of the LNB.

I think the 350i Super does ... there is an 18v or 14v/18v choice you can make. I did ultimately find a feed (basketball game) and had it on 14v/18v. I switched to 18v and lost it. Switched back to 14v/18v and it came back in. Also, as you step through the transponders, LEDs on the front panel indicate alternating polarity. From that, I assume this box controls the polarity.

AMC5 doesnt have much analog on there. If you move over to SBS6 (74W) there is usually some feeds up now

That seems to be correct. I checked Lyngsat and only saw a few candidate satellites with analog NTSC feeds that I can see due to trees. For right now I wanted to have 'proof of concept' before I go further, and verify that the receiver was working okay. I would like SBS6 for sport feeds but the location of this 30" oval would require a chainsaw and some 'house renovation' to see SBS6 ! I'll have to wait till spring and try it on the roof.

Here is how to program a satellite (find your box here)
http://www.satellitehelp.com/receivers_index.asp

also, C/KU recievers have older names in there but you really only need to set up a couple satellites in it. On my Toshiba, I have SBS6 (for SBS6 since its different frequencies) and I use Galaxy 7 for everything else. I use the loop out on my DVB Box (Coolsat 5000) to control polarity.

GE is an old name for AMC

I was looking at all of the letter designations on the numeric keypad, trying to figure out if AMC 5 might be pre-programmed in the 350i. I couldn't figure out which one might stand for "AMC". For my own edification, would you know what the following letter designations on the remote refer to:

1=F=?
2=M=?
3=T=Telstar ?
4=A=Anik ?
5=G=Galaxy
6=S=Satcom ?
7=K= ?
8=B=Brasilsat ?
9=E=Echostar ?
0=C= ?

When you say that you use Galaxy 7 for everything else, I'm afraid you lost me. What orbital location are you referring to? Wasn't that satellite lost?

thanks again for the info,

This is a very helpful site ...

Newt

3=T=Telstar ?
Telstar is what is now the Galaxy 2X channels (formerly IA8, IA6, IA5, IA7 at 89, 93, 97,129 respectivelly)
4=A=Anik ?
Anik are 2 Canadian satellites at 107.3 & 111.1
5=G=Galaxy
Galaxy is G11, G10, G3 etc
When you say that you use Galaxy 7 for everything else, I'm afraid you lost me. What orbital location are you referring to? Wasn't that satellite lost?

on analog the transponders are the same pretty much across the arc. Ch 1 & 2 are the same frequency (11720) but the polarity is different. After that, each channel up is 20 mhz higher
2-11740
3-11760
4-11780
5-11800

etc

so I only need one satellite programmed in (G7 in my case) to see the analog stuff on AMC5, AMC9, AMC2, G11, IA8, etc. Pretty much all satellites but SBS6 which does not follow the frequncies above. My Coolsat controls the polarity so if I am on AMC2 (85W) I can tune to channel 24 H polarity and there is a test card there. If I move to AMC9 Channel 24 on the reciever is the same frequency. So I only need a couple satellites programmed in

What is your Line of site right now (you mention its pretty small)? Are you sure you can't get SBS6?

Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience with adding a satellite & transponder(s) to a General Instrument Super350i. I received a 350i from my brothers father-in-law who only ever used it for C band VideoCipher subscription services and stopped using it a few years ago. Following along the lines of my love of FM-dxing, I want to use it to chase analog KU wild / backhaul feeds. I tried setting it up this morning, but all I am getting is analog snow !

Here's what I've done. I am using a 30" fixed dish with an Eagle Aspen linear LNB with 2 outputs (each supports H/V switching). I pointed the dish using a Coolsat 4000 at AMC 5 @ 79W { I have VERY limited sky in which to work with} hooked up to one output. I am on the correct satellite as I can see the following DVB signals: N.Y. Network / Off Track Betting / KTEL / Utah Education Network. I hooked the other output to the 350i. I did check with the 4000 to confirm signal present at the second location. Fortunately, the gentleman that gave me this receiver also still had the manual. Following {I think} the instructions for programming satellites into this receiver, I am only receiving the aforementioned snow.

There are a couple of settings in the menu that I'm not quite sure what they referring to, such as in the "Program Position" menu, under selection "2: Band", the choices are "C" , "KU-Anik Half", or "KU-GE Half". My guess is that the last two are referring to a band plan from which you can choose, but I may be way off in that assumption. I tried various combinations, but to no avail.

I suspect my hunt and peck efforts are not leading to the the storage of a new satellite in the system for which the receiver can lock on to....

So, either (a) I don't know what I'm doing, or (b) there is nothing on the feeds (I suspect the former !). Any guidance would be welcomed.

Also, does anyone know of a site where there are up to date / live discussions of wild feeds and backhauls? I suspect they are low key as I haven't found any, but that is probably a good thing. If someone is familiar with such a site, I would welcome a pm.

thanks,
Newt

Are you programming the satellite positions per instructions on page 45 of the manual?

Pages 49 - 51 have tables which list the transponder frequencies for each channel/transponder.

#3 in the program menu allows you to set the polarity as "Normal" or "Reverse".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts