Help starting up old system

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I grabbed a Toshiba TRX-1520 receiver for $19.47 (shipping included) so I'll be using that as a dish-mover etc.

This site is fantastic.

I looked over one guy's fabrication of an additional Ku on his C-band only feedhorn but I think I'll probably end up buying the corotor and getting new LNBs.

next the FTA receiver if I can figure out which one to try out first, the model features seem confusing right now.

I've seen one low end model on ebay for about $75, a pantec 2500a (which pansat remote) which I'm sure is as poor a quality as there is but I may grab it to start playing around and move up to something with a PVR later.

Those Toshibas

horizon said:
I grabbed a Toshiba TRX-1520 receiver for $19.47 (shipping included) so I'll be using that as a dish-mover etc.
This site is fantastic.
I looked over one guy's fabrication of an additional Ku on his C-band only feedhorn but I think I'll probably end up buying the corotor and getting new LNBs.
next the FTA receiver if I can figure out which one to try out first, the model features seem confusing right now.
I've seen one low end model on ebay for about $75, a pantec 2500a (which pansat remote) which I'm sure is as poor a quality as there is but I may grab it to start playing around and move up to something with a PVR later.

Those Toshibas were great sets...hope it serves you well.

I might make a suggestion about FTA...Watch for fake receivers...there is a big thread on the FTA forum about one guy who bought one and found out later!

My recommendation will be that whatever you buy...IT NEEDS HARDWARE BLIND SCAN! Without it, I may have given up!
Jeff

gizzer777 said:
Those Toshibas were great sets...hope it serves you well.

I might make a suggestion about FTA...Watch for fake receivers...there is a big thread on the FTA forum about one guy who bought one and found out later!

My recommendation will be that whatever you buy...IT NEEDS HARDWARE BLIND SCAN! Without it, I may have given up!
Jeff

Thanks, I looked it up and i think it's a fake/clone.

I now have a Fortec Lifetime Classic NA on the way. :hungry:

leg for power

horizon said:
The diagram makes sense, but what did you mean by 1 leg for power?

That means only one side of the splitter will allow for power passsing to the LNB. Skyvision has a picture of one on their site.,..they all look the same so you have to be a bit careful!

ie; On my system, the 4DTV controls the dish and polarity so the powered leg from my splitter goes to the 4dtv not the FTA.

Last edited:
gizzer777 said:
That means only one side of the splitter will allow for power passsing to the LNB. Skyvision has a picture of one on their site.,..they all look the same so you have to be a bit careful!

ie; On my system, the 4DTV controls the dish and polarity so the powered leg from my splitter goes to the 4dtv not the FTA.

Ah so there's a diode on one of the output sides of the splitter stopping the flow? Is it marked on the splitters?

horizon said:
Ah so there's a diode on one of the output sides of the splitter stopping the flow? Is it marked on the splitters?
They usually come in one leg pass or all ports pass power.

If they pass power, they're usually marked.

Shawn

Mine are marked

horizon said:

The ones I found were marked and the power pass leg is clearly labeled. The ones I saw with both legs passing power were also clearly marked. Check out the picture on the skyvision web site....the description is exactly what you are after....they are a little bit pricey though at Sky.....! I found them in town at a HIGH PRICED electronics speciality shop and they were only $5 ea or a little less.

here is the link
http://www.skyvision.com/store/mi3000004.html

Look at the description..says any port!!!! yet the picture is correct...

I bought this one from these guys. As long as the splitter passes the necessary freqs...more is not really better IMHO.

http://starlink-dss.com/P21502GX.htm

If you poke around their site you will also come across the other one!!!
They have good service and pricing from the 2 transactions I had with them. (1 actuator arm, 1 servo motor, 5 splitters)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)