HELP: Trying to set up a cheap $25 receiver to help me aim my dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Xourque

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Hello,

I'm using a cheap $25 receiver (brand is "Junuo") as a signal strength meter to help me aim my dish. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out which settings are needed to be set. The receiver does not have any North American satellites added, so I'm having to manually add all the details including the LNB settings.

Let's start with LNB settings. I have the GEOSATpro SL1PLL LNBF. Here are the options, and what I have them currently set to:

• LNB Type: Standard (choices are: Standard, Universal, and User)
  • Freq1: 10,750mhz (variable)
  • Freq2: This only shows if I have Universal or User chosen as LNB Type. Since I have Standard chosen, this option isn't set.
  • LNB Power: 13/18V (choices are: 13/18v, 13, 18 or off)
  • 22k: Off
  • DiSEqC: Off
  • Positioner: Off
Do I have the LNB settings right for the GEOSATpro SL1PLL LNBF? I really can't tell if I do, based on the specs for the LNB.

As for trying to aim the dish, I'm trying to aim it at Galaxy 19. Using the strong transponder list, I have the following settings set to:
  • TP: 1/98 (not really sure what this is...)
  • TP Frequency: 12177 (as per the strong transponder list entry for Galaxy 19)
  • Symbol Rate: 23000 (as per the strong transponder list entry for Galaxy 19)
  • Polarity: V (as per the strong transponder list entry for Galaxy 19)
  • Search: Free to Air
Do I have all this set right??

This cheapy receiver gives me a live "Signal Intensity" and "Signal Quality". Right now, without it properly aimed, the Signal Intensity is flickering between 94-95%, and the Signal Quality is flickering between 0-1%.

the 1/98 is bothering me, i dont think the 12177 tp would be first on the list????????

yes all of your settings look correct to me, if you really are selecting 12177 that is

12152 and 12122 0r 12090 are stronger tps for me than 12177

Last edited:
Looks ok to me. You might try just running a blind scan once in a while if you can't get anything to light up the signal meter on it. It's slow but sometimes you can lock onto another tp that might show up stronger, if you're aim is a little bit off. I had an old receiver that I used like you're doing, and I found out that if I had ANY ku tp selected on the satellite, the signal strength meter thing would flicker if I had hit a signal. Very handy use for an otherwise outdated receiver.

"Signal intensity" is just the signal coming from your lnb. "Signal QUALITY" is the signal coming from a transponder ONCE you are locked onto it!

So, you want to raise the QUALITY up beyond 50%, and hopefully as close to at least 70% (or higher) as you can get it. Once quality goes UP, you are actually locked onto a signal. From there, it's just a matter of tweaking. 1/16th of an inch, can be many miles out at the actual satellite! So make VERY small movements! The KU signal "beam" is less than the width of a PENCIL!

Seems like your aiming is still off. You need to get a better 'quality'.
I have a cheap $10 meter, that I put in line since it will show any adjustment faster, but I still use my receiver to show me signal and quality.
Push/pull your dish up-down-left-right slightly to see if your quality will change.
Also at your set up screen, at the ''search'' if you have an option to search ''all '' , I would set it to ''all'' for now. Since commercial or paid/scrambled are stronger and may be easier to align the dish.
I usually do a blind scan and if I get channels I go to the channel with the weakest signal and then I do some more tuning to get that channel with the weak signal to come in stronger.
A blind-scan will scan everything that is on a satellite, even if you on the wrong satellite. After a blind-scan check with lyngsat to see if you are at the correct satellite.

In your signature you stated that you have a SG2100 dish motor.
Do you have the motor mounted on the dish?
If so, you have to go to your most southern satellite first to set everything up.

Last edited:
I checked into this Junuo receiver a while back and there used to be a website where you could download all American satellites and tp's and load it to the receiver if I remember right. I done a search, but I can not find it anymore.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)