Help tuning my Ku band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

billtvt

Original poster
Aug 29, 2005
I am having some real difficulty tuning the ku band side of my 4dtv system. I have a 10' AMS spun dish, with an Astrotel dual C/Ku lnb, which is one of their higher end units (I think it is a 15 degree..?)

In any event, I set my focal depth after carefully doing my math, and I'm pretty sure I have that very close to where it should be, and the corresponding depth on the scaler ring. I purchased a Skypeaker Treo II from Skyvision, and used that to help confirm the strongest signal point. I have my C band satellites coming in perfectly, including all HD channels. However on Ku band, I am only getting a signal reading of "10" which I'm told means "NO Signal"!! On X4, I am pulling in the music channels, and most of the video channels, and getting quality readings of up to 58 or so, but the signal still only shows "10".

I tried several minor adjustments, rotating the lnb ever so slightly to either side, but the picture quality level does not change. I have also checked all my internal connections, and they all are fine.

My run is around 300', and I am using a fairly high grade RG6 cable, the same as on the CBand side, so even with the long run, the cable probably isn't the culprit.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I know KU band is much more difficult to tune into, but I'm a bit at a loss for the moment.

Also, a related question. In using the Skypeaker, I connected my old receiver out at the dish, which is a GI 2730. How can I update the settings/software on that model without fully connecting it to the dish, is that even possible? I would like to download all the new satellites into the receiver.

thanks all for any help

Bill

Try sending somebody out to the dish while on X4, with the 4dtv readings on the screen, have the person pull down on the dish very lite, if the quality goes up a bit tell them to pull down a bit more, if pulling down gets worst try pushing up, then from there you will know what to adjust.

Also take a look at this website:
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html

tdti1 said:
Try sending somebody out to the dish while on X4, with the 4dtv readings on the screen, have the person pull down on the dish very lite, if the quality goes up a bit tell them to pull down a bit more, if pulling down gets worst try pushing up, then from there you will know what to adjust.

Also take a look at this website:
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html

Good suggestion .

I have only done Ku digital on the little 30" ( and larger ) dishes , so when I speak about C band dishes , I may be speaking out tof turn .

But , If you are getting picture and tweeking the dish / LNB does not improve the signal quility , It may be OK as is ?

I do know , on the linear Ku on the small dish , aiming is very touchy . Maybe more touchy than C band ?

Best of luck ,
Wyr

I agree . My X4 is somewhat to the east as well. If the quality # is high enough then does it really matter what the reciever displays as a signal #. I sure had to play around whith the scew to get X4 to come in well on my dish. For some reason it does not need the H and the V to = 90. in fact , on some chans. its way off.

Thanks all. I forgot to mention, that I did in fact try moving the dish both up and down to see if the signal improved, and it did not.
The link to the website is great, I have been to that before- great info but hasn't helped me with this issue.
As far as X4 being a bit to the east, I think I have tweaked about as much as I can there as well. I use W4 just to get in the area, then tweak my settings from there.
Maybe I don't have to be as concerned with a low (10) signal reading as long as I see a picture, I was just figuring that I should be able to get it much higher and thus much better luck tuning in other Ku birds.

It is .5db The feedhorn is an Astrotel with a dual 15 degree C Band Lnb and the .5db Ku. Got it from Skyvision, was told it was their best model.

On top of the other fine suggestions here, I would double check all connections, and take any splitters/switches out of the cable run and then check signal level.

Sounds like it time for the moble Ku setup. A small TV, power, and receiver on a 10' or less run to the LNB. If you still don't get anything digital try an analog receiver. A 10' spun dish should have no probrlem getting Ku.

Good luck and keep us posted.

billtvt said:
I am having some real difficulty tuning the ku band side of my 4dtv system. I have a 10' AMS spun dish, with an Astrotel dual C/Ku lnb, which is one of their higher end units (I think it is a 15 degree..?)

In any event, I set my focal depth after carefully doing my math, and I'm pretty sure I have that very close to where it should be, and the corresponding depth on the scaler ring. I purchased a Skypeaker Treo II from Skyvision, and used that to help confirm the strongest signal point. I have my C band satellites coming in perfectly, including all HD channels. However on Ku band, I am only getting a signal reading of "10" which I'm told means "NO Signal"!! On X4, I am pulling in the music channels, and most of the video channels, and getting quality readings of up to 58 or so, but the signal still only shows "10".

I tried several minor adjustments, rotating the lnb ever so slightly to either side, but the picture quality level does not change. I have also checked all my internal connections, and they all are fine.

My run is around 300', and I am using a fairly high grade RG6 cable, the same as on the CBand side, so even with the long run, the cable probably isn't the culprit.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I know KU band is much more difficult to tune into, but I'm a bit at a loss for the moment.

Also, a related question. In using the Skypeaker, I connected my old receiver out at the dish, which is a GI 2730. How can I update the settings/software on that model without fully connecting it to the dish, is that even possible? I would like to download all the new satellites into the receiver.

thanks all for any help

Bill

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)