Help us with new technologies

Sat2000

Original poster
Apr 14, 2021
Moscow
Hi

We are r&d company and we implemented some new technologies in STB that I would like to discuss. Namely, the functions of streaming, sat finder (with and without 3D lnb), diagnostics, usage without a TV set, and open Web API. I would like to hear the opinion of your group on what options are needed/in what countries they are needed/or what to develop to make them more useful.

We modify RTOS (Ecos) SW. The first option is sat finder option. You can watch videos here ( ) and here ( )

Questions:

1. Do you think the installation option is important for your country for final users and installers? Please tell your country in the comments

2. What do you think about the process?

3. Is 3D lnb useful?

The second option is diagnostics. We measure LNB supply current, operating mode of the power supply, 22khz, antenna angles (static and dynamic), TP Lock Error, LM, PER, RSSI, supply voltage at the output of the receiver. Right now the first part of diagnostics is ready. You can watch this here ( ). The second part will be a spectrum. It is needed to understand the type of attenuation and distortion. Detects overlapping GSM signals and other terrestrial interference from both 950 to 2150 MHz and 10 to 13 GHz. The spectrum also allows you to assess the cause of the insufficient signal. In the case of a crooked antenna, the beam is bifurcated, that is, several adjacent satellites can be received at one point. In the case of a cable with a different impedance, there will be a mismatch and standing waves that have a constant character. Third – fix-it-yourself instructions for users

Questions:

4. Do you think the diagnostics option is important for your country for final users or installers? Please tell your country in the comments

5. What is possible to add to the measurements and what is the final purpose for these measurements?

6. Do the installers in your country need to receive reports about satellite system conditions from users? Do users usually have a router or smartphone?

7. Do operators in your system make normal service to the clients? Or tell them to find problems by themselves?

The third option is streaming. After installation, you download the m3u list from STB and you can use programs like IPTV or IPTV Pro. The quality is the same as transmitted. You can add picons. We guess that this will be useful for DVB-T2 first of all (that means for combo model). But it can be used in the countries with large quantities of open channels, or with some channels which can be opened by usual Chinese boxes.

Questions:

8. Are FTA channels popular in your country? From what satellite?

9. Are there any channels in your countries that can be opened by usual Chinese boxes (and please tell me if there are non-paired cards like Conax). From what satellite?

10. How popular can be DVB streaming in your country?

The next option is the open web API. You can watch it here ( ) Everybody can modify our extensions/application or make their own.

Question:

11. Are there many web programmers and enthusiasts in your country who will want to modify SW on mobile devices?

And the last option is the usage without a TV set.

Questions:

12. Are there many places without good internet?

13. Does everybody in your country has mobile devices?

14. Do you think watching DVB on mobile devices will be popular?

Reactions: Cham and N5XZS
Nice.
What sensors are inside the 3D LNBF that can sense the exact look-angle and azimuth of the dish antenna? I realize programming in the various antenna manufacturer's antenna specs gives data for the various antenna offsets, but it must have a really good compass! :)
Can you input an "oddball" dish offset?

The information your system provides the installer is quite a lot, and many of us FTA users in NA could put it to use for sure.
Honestly it would have to be really cheap though to be a viable product here in NA.
I see the special LNBF might be an issue too as many of us use quite a variety of C-band/Ku band antenna combinations with complex switching and motorized mounts.
The FTA market is really small here so likely wouldn't pay, but it's always good to hear about new ideas and products!

Reactions: N5XZS and KE4EST
1. Do you think the installation option is important for your country for final users and installers? Please tell your country in the comments.
USA. There are few installers for FTA systems. Most dish installations are for proprietary Dish Network, DirecTV, Bell, etc. Unless your technology is licensed to one of these companies for integration into their STBs and/or LNBF clusters, it will have a very small market for linear KU FTA hobbyists.

2. What do you think about the process?
The STB install process emulates the satellite meters and would be useful if incorporated in STBs that are popular and capable. Unfortunately, most STBs are not targeting the hobbyists and are appliances designed to be sold to a market that either no longer exists or has become niche with the transition of expat programming to Internet streaming.

3. Is 3D lnb useful?
Very useful, but would I buy a higher cost 3D Universal KU LNBF and dedicated STB to enable it? Probably not... UNLESS the function was supported by license in a popular STB or open source as a Plugin with Enigma2 distribution. Most channels for entertainment viewing in North America are C-band. Like most hobbyists in NA, I occasionally view KU, as the channels are limited and of niche content.

4. Do you think the diagnostics option is important for your country for final users or installers? Please tell your country in the comments.
USA. Diagnostics are great to have. Without an installer base, the end user would be using this data. It would be helpful to optimize the install or trouble shoot. Once again, would I buy a dedicated Universal type LNBF and STB for this function? Likely not. I would use it if it were licensed for use with a popular STB or as open source with Enigma2.

5. What is possible to add to the measurements and what is the final purpose for these measurements?
I use a satellite meter for these measurements and find the features comparable.

6. Do the installers in your country need to receive reports about satellite system conditions from users? Do users usually have a router or smartphone?
Installers are occasionally required to provide Quality of Service reports for commercial clients documentation. The subscription services have their own QOS requirements and are acquired from the installer's meters, STB reading or STB auto reporting. Most of use are connected somehow...

7. Do operators in your system make normal service to the clients? Or tell them to find problems by themselves?
FTA customers typically self diagnose or rarely hire a installer. Subscription services have their own technicians or contract.

8. Are FTA channels popular in your country? From what satellite?
Popular for a small group on 97w, but most are hobbyists with C and KU-band motorized dishes. Lyngsat is somewhat accurate for reference for unencrypted services.

9. Are there any channels in your countries that can be opened by usual Chinese boxes (and please tell me if there are non-paired cards like Conax). From what satellite?
Yes. That is theft of service and will get you banned from this site...

10. How popular can be DVB streaming in your country?
Hackers come and go. Legit services are very established and beginning to merge.

11. Are there many web programmers and enthusiasts in your country who will want to modify SW on mobile devices?
??? Don't they already?

12. Are there many places without good internet?
Yes... Until services such as Starlink are the norm.

13. Does everybody in your country has mobile devices?
Everyone, except maybe someone's 105 year old grandmother, who has been in a coma for 20 years.

14. Do you think watching DVB on mobile devices will be popular?
People's faces are buried in their mobile devices. Will be popular? LOL!!!

What sensors are inside the 3D LNBF that can sense the exact look-angle and azimuth of the dish antenna?
3D LNB use 3D magnetic sensor for measurement skew LNB and dish elevation angle. Azimuth calculate the smartphone and show direction on the map.

Can you input an "oddball" dish offset?
Dish offset can be determined and used for any antenna.
I see the special LNBF might be an issue too as many of us use quite a variety of C-band/Ku band antenna combinations with complex switching and motorized mounts.
It's no problem to use the sensor in any kind of LNB type. And its work with switches and motorized mounts.
The FTA market is really small
This technology can be used for pay TV too.

Reactions: Cham

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)