Help w/ setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Writerguy

Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Texas
I'm trying to pick up AMC 21 on an old Superdish, but I'm having problems with a few settings (using a VS Ultra Lite receiver). Any help with the following problems would be greatly appreciated:

1. Following the instructions in the manual, I added AMC 21 as a satellite on the receiver. In the sat list, it shows it at 360 W, and I can't find anywhere to change this or where it's covered in the manual. (Galaxy 14/C is listed at 125 W, so I may need to delete this, too).

2. I am connected to the FSS lnb on the dish, but I'm not sure what I should select for lnb type during setup. Standard, universal or someting else completely.

3. When I manually set the Freq., etc. for the sat, can I just leave the FEC to auto or is there somewhere I can find those settings?

4. Why/how are there multiple channels on 12180-V 30000? I assume this ability is related to the different VPID and APID for each channel, which leads to the next question...

5. Is there somewhere I need to enter the VPID/APID for each channel, or will the receiver sort that out from the signal?

Thanks.

1. I dont have a Viewsat so cant comment
2. STANDARD and LNB frequency 10750
3. yes you can leave it at auto
4. you are correct. In digital the different channels are brought in with audio/video pids
5. no. When you scan the transponder, the channels will come in (as long as you have a good quality signal)

1. In the Antenna Setup menu for your new AMC21, set the Motor to USALS, in the Sub-Menu is where you can enter the orbit. Location. Not necessary if using a fixed Dish.
No need to delete G14.

2. Standard, L.O. 10750. Look on the LNB itself to confirm L.O.

3. You can use AUTO, but best to enter proper info, especially when setting up 1 TP for locating a Sat.

4 & 5. You "can" manually enter, but not necessary. A TP / Channel scan will pick that up.

Here is how I would enter the TP info:
Freq: 12180
Scan Rate: 30000
Polarity: Vertical
FEC: Auto

I use a pile 'O' Superdishes in my array, it will work fine. If you're using the stock FSS lnb/lnb mount, you will need to skew the dish for best Q. Google dishpointer. I don't have a VS either, but if it blindscans...you really don't care which sat it thinks it's on..except for your sanity...if there is good signal it WILL find some channels. Lyngsat or the list are very helpful in letting you know what bird you are really on by what channels you find.

yes viewsat ultra has a blindscan feature and unlike CaptiveWorks 600 Premium it really works and works fine.

Viewsat Ultra has blindscan, but Viewsat Ultra Lite does not. Only autoscan. This is what I use. I will be posting the manual for it this week sometime.

:EDIT:
Autoscan meaning it scans for channels on all TP's on the selected satellite. You can manually add TP's if needed.

Thanks for all the information. Just a couple more questions:

Dishpointer says 36 degrees for skew. Is that a true 36 on the markings, or is that 36 off of 90/level?

I don't have a meter (might make a trip to town for one tomorrow) so I have a receiver and monitor at the dish. I'm able to get 84 on strength, but can't get better than 14 on quality (perhaps because of skew?). I'm using a temporary mounting platform and noticed some movement of the platform itself while adjusting the dish. How hard is it going to be to dial in well enough for a picture to test? Should I go ahead and move it to the permanent mount so there will not be any movement or should I be able to get something anyway?

Thanks again!

the 36 degrees skew is to rotate the LNB couterclockwise on the LNB holder when facing the dish. Most LNB have a Skew Scale on top of its head with 5 degrees marks. I beleive 30 degrees skew equals 5 minutes on the wristwatch. Also usually the LNB should be placed on the LNB holder as far away from the dish as possible. And yes proper Skew makes a big difference.

Receiver and monitor at dish is even better than the regular analog sat finder. A professional meter is another story

One more time and I'll leave you guys in peace. I'm getting S 82 but 0 Q no matter what I do.

1. Since I'm using a Superdish, there is no skew on the LNB. I did skew the dish over to about 75 degrees and jumped up a little on Strength. Is there anything else I can do related to that?

2. I added the stronger transponders listed in Iceberg's sticky (thanks) but that didn't improve anything over 12180. I also tried swapping V to H after reading that somewhere else, but it didn't have any effect.

3. There's a local guy with a Fortec Star 36" I can pick up for $60 including a universal LNB. Would that be worthwhile and would it make dialing in easier?

Thanks for all the info.

Should also mention that I have tried to hit G18 with this dish and have the same problem. Is there a way to check if the dish is warped or LNB is bad?

Last edited:
All setting must be precise.
Have Hot / Active / Live TP selected in the Antenna Setup Menu
The Q meter is for the Transponder selected, you could be dead on a Sat, but if the TP selected is not active, you will not see the Q meter Light up.

dishpointer.com
enter your location, select Sat you are aiming for and Click "GO"
Set the Dish to the proper Skew for your location
Set Dish Elevation
Sloooooooooowly twist Dish on Pole East / West
If nothing, Raise / Lower Dish elevation 1 degree and repeat East / West pan.

I dont know about the Ultra, but on the Platinum the TPs that are programmed in can be cycled thru from the sat config menu page. As Lak said be sure the one you are trying to point to is the one you have selected to 'see'.
Something often overlooked for skewable dishes is that when you rotate the dish to skew it, you also alter the elevation (and to a lesser extent azimuth) so any rotation of the dish must also have a change in both to compensate. It can get tedious, you are working in three dimensions (azimuth, elevation and polarity offset, aka skew) and they all interact to some degree.

I would set the skew to the calculated point, slowly pan the sky from a point that is a few degrees west of the indicated location to the same amount east of it.
No joy? raise the elevation by some small amount and re-pan. Rinse lather repeat.
You can try 'flexing' the dish by pushing down or lifting the bottom edge as you get close to where you believe the dish should be pointed. That is how critical the settings are, even flexing the dish can mean the difference in having nothing to having a signal that can be locked.
Be patient, Ku can be a challenge at times even for the most seasoned FTAers.

I dont know if you have seen or have read about the old Primestar sat service dishes, but they are excellent for FTA and usually can be had for the hauling off if you can find any in your locale. I would look around and see if there are any in your area before dropping 60 bucks on the one you mentioned. If you find one after the fact for free, it's gonna really get your goat!

I picked up two (more) today that I'd spotted (well, my 6 yo grandaughter spotted one of them) last weekend but there wasnt anyone at home to ask last weeekend. There are lots of pics on the board to id them by.
....and you aren't bothering anyone, that's why we are all here to share, learn and enjoy the hobby. :cool:

Hang in there. you'll get it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Coolsat 8000 blinking red light?

My luck with hispasat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)