Help, what kind of requipment do I need?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

onyx1121

Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
I'm kind of a confused. Basically, here is the equipment I currently have:

- Two DirecTV Series 2 Tivo's (HDVR2s). I want to upgrade one of the receivers to a HR22.

- A multiswitch (ChannelMaster I think...) 4x8 in my attic

- A Phase III dish (the non-HD one).

So now I want to upgrade one of the DVRs to the HR22. What do I need? I know I need the new SlimLine dish, but do I also need a new multiswitch, such as the SWM-8?

Ideally I want to just upgrade the dish outside, and replace the multiswitch in the attic. Is that possible? Oh, and wiring wise, right now I have four wires from dish in to house, and two wires ot every room (in case in it matters).

Any help is appreciated. I get confused when I start hearing about B-Band converters, etc.

correct
the b aband convertor comes with the hr 22 and basically connects between the sat receiver and cable coming off the wall or outlet that comes from the dish.

You will need the new slimline dish and the new multiswitch. Also if you have a tv antenna in the attic or on the roof , you can use that to get your hd locals.

Ok, so I only need:

1.) Slimline dish which runs 4 wires in to the house

2.) SWM-8 or some other DirecTV approved multiswitch

Will this all work with my legacy HDVR2 also??

I don't have an antenna or anything special like that.

Ok, so I only need:

You only have a total of 4 tuners, 2 DVR's (one is being replaced)
If that is the case, you don't need a MS, just run the 4 lines from the new dish to the two rec's.

Your old TIVO will still work, but you are very limited on the HD channels you can get with it, it's like 5 instead of 90.

I would recommend replacing both rec's.

Jimbo

Ok, so I only need:

If you already have two cables ran to each DVR location, you can save your money on the SWM-8 and get the Zinwell WB68 Multiswitch.

You only have a total of 4 tuners, 2 DVR's (one is being replaced)
If that is the case, you don't need a MS, just run the 4 lines from the new dish to the two rec's.

Your old TIVO will still work, but you are very limited on the HD channels you can get with it, it's like 5 instead of 90.

I would recommend replacing both rec's.

Jimbo

If you already have two cables ran to each DVR location, you can save your money on the SWM-8 and get the Zinwell WB68 Multiswitch.
Yes onyx1121,
If you want a MS just to be on the safe side for the future, you would want the WB68 as iwc mentioned ....
I did not know if D* would install the WB68 unless it is needed at the time of the install.... maybe they will, just not sure.

Jimbo

Not planning on having DirecTV do any install - I am buying this all myself and installing it.

So I would run four lines from my DirecTV slimline dish to the WB68, and then attach those to the lines going to each room. The HR22 and HDVR2 (legacy) should both work fine hooked up to the WB68.

Correct?

I was thinking of buying this multi-switch, this will work okay, correct?

Zinwell WB616 DIRECTV Wide Band 6x16 Multi-Switch (WB616) | WB616 [Zinwell] | Zinwell WB616 DIRECTV Wide Band 6x16 Multi-Switch (WB616) wb68 wb-616 at multiswitch 6 x 16 wb16 au9 au9-s au9s au 9 MS6X16WB

I wanted a powered multi-switch to avoid any issues (rather than the passive, un-powered, WB68).

It will work, but a powered multiswitch introduces more variables that can go wrong, creating more issues. What issues are you looking to avoid?

If all you have hooked up is the two DVR's, you can use a 4x4 ground block like Jimbo described, or the unpowered switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts