Help with 522, Dead tuner?

Snowbound

Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I need some pointer on what to do next. I currently have a 522 (2 1/2 years old) That has worked well (for a 522 ;) ) until this fall. It appears that one of the inputs might have failed. Every morning, I receive a rather lengthy check switch message. It immediately puts me into the test switch screen. The data that appears on that screen looks like this:

Sat Input 1
Port 1
Sat: X
Trans: X
Device: Blank
Status Reception Verified
Switch: None

Sat Input 2
Port 1, 2
Satellite: 119, 110
Trans: OK, OK
Device: Quad, Quad
Switch: DP Quad

If you tell it to test the switch, it will eventually return with an error saying that one or more cable might be unplugged. Dual mode no longer works, since I only have one input. I do receive full capabilities if switch to single mode, but I can't view the second input and the DVR won't record scheduled program unless we do it manually on the input we are already watching.

I have:
Swapped cables from Input 2 to Input 1 and back. No change.
Checked all connections back to the Dish.
Swapped ports on the quad to the two remaining ports.
Taken the unit to a neighbors house with a DP Twin. No change.

What else can I try to troubleshoot this, or am I at the end?

We are Dish DHA customers, but signed up 2 1/2 years ago. We are no longer under any contract. Does DHA give us a warranty on this unit, or will we be stuck with the cost of repairs?

Thanks!

Mods, just realized that this post may be more appropriate form the Technical forum. Rather than double post, can you move this thread there is this is the case?

Yep, sounds like you have a tuner failure. Time to call Dish and get a replacement 522. Do you ship out the UHF antenna, separator, remote, or anything else with the receiver or you will not get them back. Until you get the replacement you can change which tuner your receiver will record on. You can make it record on tuner 1 instead of tuner 2 by pressing >MENU >8 (for preferences) >6 (for record plus) change record preference to TV1 and make sure it says enable under activation on the left side then select DONE.

Thanks for your reply. Will Dish charge me for the repair? Isn't DHA a lease program, making this their tuner?

What I really want to do is get away form the 522 and into a 622 (for HD), but I don't wanted to get dinged from returning a damaged unit. If I have to pay, I'll just keep the 522 for a while longer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)