Help with 722K Locks vs Favorites

nuttz565

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
colorado
Hey guys, I have been back with *E for about a week now and its been great to say the least. I do have a issue that Im running into Im hoping you can help. Now on my 722k I have a HD TV and a SD TV. Im trying to figure out the best way to set up TV2 in regards to channel locks. So on TV2 there is no reason to have any of the HD channels displayed on it, so I went through and did a favorites with only the SD channels/feeds. My question is what happens when I start a recording on TV2, will it display the SD channel on TV1 if I watch it on TV1?? It seems counter productive, like I need to set up both TV's with the exact same channel line up or I will see different versions(HD/SD feed) of the channel depending on what TV I watch a recording from. How are you guys with a 722/622 setting up your TV2 in regards to using the favorites/channel locks options?

Any channel that has both a SD version and a HD version the SD version is locked out as there is NO reason to watch the SD channel, even on TV2.

Any channel that has both a SD version and a HD version the SD version is locked out as there is NO reason to watch the SD channel, even on TV2.
So your saying by default the SD is locked out? So then TV2 should be set up to just show the HD feeds that way its mirroring Tv1??

Regarding TV2 in Dual Mode: the SD versions are still the same crappy PQ SD encoding and bandwidth. If you care at all about PQ, then you WILL want to record the HD versions whenever possible. I always watch or record HD channels on TV2 when watching or recording to DVD (222K) for best PQ. There is a significant difference, especially if watching on an LCD.

"Normal" mode for SD on an HD channel will have black bars on top and bottom. However, "Zoom" mode will crop the bars and and sides producing the same picture area as the SD feed (in most cases the SD channel feed is zoomed by the channel provider, although some content is shown with black bars on top and bottom, anyway), but with much better PQ.

It has been a joy watching some of the old Match Games on GSN since that channel went HD. Now, it looks great with good color accuracy and easy to read names and answers and just all-around BETTER than when it first aired, considering the show has been transferred to digital by Sony Pictures/GSN and is on high bandwidth HD over the Dish all digital service. We could never get a "perfect" picture back on the '70's for Match Game and had to put-up with every analog affliction known to our old terrestrial TV system. The SD GSN for Match Game still looks like CRAP!

Hey guys, I have been back with *E for about a week now and its been great to say the least. I do have a issue that Im running into Im hoping you can help. Now on my 722k I have a HD TV and a SD TV. Im trying to figure out the best way to set up TV2 in regards to channel locks. So on TV2 there is no reason to have any of the HD channels displayed on it, so I went through and did a favorites with only the SD channels/feeds. My question is what happens when I start a recording on TV2, will it display the SD channel on TV1 if I watch it on TV1?? It seems counter productive, like I need to set up both TV's with the exact same channel line up or I will see different versions(HD/SD feed) of the channel depending on what TV I watch a recording from. How are you guys with a 722/622 setting up your TV2 in regards to using the favorites/channel locks options?

Yes, it does seem counter-productive to have to do the whole channel locking twice, but you must keep in mind that the Dual Mode TV2 experience is designed for use by a DIFFERENT PERSON in your household providing them with their own, independent viewing experience and one tuner DVR allowing them to customize TV2 according to their preferences, not for use by the same person. In that case, one would leave the box in Single Mode and just view that same mirrored experience at the 2nd TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)