Help with 811 Receiver- Signal loss

Jason423

Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
I currently am having some issues with my 811 receiver and this is the 3rd time it has happened. Of course the customer service is of zero help. I was away all weekend and when I powered on the 811 this morning it would not acquire a satellite signal from either 110 or 61.5. When I looked in the system info screens it had said that I experienced something like 51 lost signals on Saturday, 29 on Sunday, and 11 this morning. When I went to the check switch screen it only finds 119 and says only one satellite attached. The stations running on 119 all work fine, however the program guide will not download, and those running through my antenna all work as well. I tried unplugging the unit and disconnecting everything attached to it, but that did not fix the problem. On the signal strength I get 119 in at anywhere from 108-110 strength on some of the transponders. I tried changing to the 110 satellite and every transponder I put it on(and I know nothing about this stuff since I know certain ones I guess are specific to 110 and others to 119)- 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 21—says “wrong satellite---Echostar 119 West” and has a strength of anywhere from 102-107 but never locks on

If I hook up my 301 to the same line everything works fine so its not the line nor the switch. This is the 3rd time this has happened to me in the last three and a half months. The first time I had the problem I disconnected everything, checked the line with the 301 and when I put the 811 back on everything worked fine for about a month or 2. The second time dish swapped receivers and sent me a new one. Before I received the new receiver the old one happened to just start working again after I disconnected everything, hooked up the 301, and then put the 811 back on it about 20 minutes later. This is very frustrating especially since there has not been any bad weather that I know of here. Its been hot and humid, but no rain or even cloud cover today. I really have enjoyed Dish for the nearly one year I have had it, but if this continues especially during football season I am seriously going to have to consider either cable or direct, neither of which I really want to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated since I know everyone here really knows their stuff when it comes to satellite. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help shed some light on my problems.

Sounds like your 811 is toast. However, to test that you could place your 811 where the 311 normally goes and see if the problem continues. If so, replace the 811. If not, then there's a problem elsewhere, perhaps the switch, fittings, cable, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)