Help with 921 setup?

JohnnyM80

Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
I am finishing my basement and putting in a home theater. I have a Sony KF60WE610 RP LCD and a Yamaha RX-V1400 A/V receiver. My equipment is about a 20' cable run from my TV. The TV has a DVI input. I could put the 921 below the TV, but I still must get audio from the 921 to the Receiver. If I put the 921 with the other equipment then I need a 20' DVI cable. Any ideas on cost? Can I get a clean DVI signal over a 20' run.

I also have a Dish 500 with a SW44 switch hooked to 3 receivers. Do I need a new dish and/or switch with the 921?

Thanks.
John

The toslink cable for the audio will be cheaper than a DVI cable for the 20' run. I can't say if there are any problems with either for this distance but the cables are out there on the market so there is some assurance it should work.

If you have SW44 switch that only supports 4 tuners and if you keep your current 3 receivers and add a 921 you'll have a total of 5 tuners. Time for 2 DP34 switches. If you have any legacy receivers (2700/3700/4700 etc) you're going to need legacy adapter for each of those. It can quickly get expensive.

Thanks
I think that I'll unhook one of my receivers when I get the 921.
I remeasured the cable run and it's actually more like 35'. Now my decision is to run 35' of toslink and put the reciever near the TV, for a short dvi hookup or use component video into the TV via my A/V receiver

Any thoughts on signal quality with DVI vs component video?

John

DVI is the way to go. Straight Digital to digital connection. With component, as good as it is, you are still taking a digital signal, converting it to analog to run through the cables, and then converting it back to digital in the tv.

I wish my HD set had DVI inputs. Then again, I purchased it a few years ago when DVI wasn't even talked about! :)

as far as a dvi cable goes.....

the back of my tv has a dvi-d connection
and the 921 has a dvi-i connection

I have not found a combo dvi cable like that.
can I / should I use a all dvi-i or all dvi-d cable?

I have been searching and reading and have wound up more
confused than before.

thank you

gredneck said:
as far as a dvi cable goes.....

the back of my tv has a dvi-d connection
and the 921 has a dvi-i connection

I have not found a combo dvi cable like that.
can I / should I use a all dvi-i or all dvi-d cable?

thank you

There is no confusion, you will need to use a DVI-D cable. Why? Because your TV doesn't have the means to accept the 2 extra pins above and below the BLADE [:::::--] <--- here that the DVI-I cable has and there is no such thing as a DVI-D to DVI-I cable. They are 2 seperate things, although the DVI-I connector is backward compatable with DVI-D cable, but not the other way around.

thank you for clearing this up.

I live out in the boonies.

so I have 2 choices when looking for small stuff like this:

internet or drive 40+ miles (one way) to c.c. or best buy.

it can be a pain returning stuff either way.

gredneck said:
so I have 2 choices when looking for small stuff like this:

internet or drive 40+ miles (one way) to c.c. or best buy.

There are hundreds on ebay from $1.95 & up. (7.50 & up Buy-it-now)

Mine was a whole $1.00 and it works fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)