Help with a DSR4200V

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joshrr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
I've posted before on my DSR4200v not being able to get zero key or fixed key DCII channels BUT I've found a place that will authorize my box (finally). They asked for my Unit ID and when I gave it to him he told me it was invalid. He said that the ID had to start with 000-.My Unit ID starts with a 129- in the System status section and on Diagnostic Screen A. BUT on the back of the unit... there it is... the unit ID and it starts with 000- and is a totally different number. Does that mean my box is junk? I had him put in the ID thats on the back of the box but my trip counter stays at zero and on diag screen A no countup in the auth field on line 6 (I do have DCII lock as it shows a 7 on screen B and the signal light is on).

To verify, I take the TP signal on lyngsat and subtract it from the LO on my LNB (which is 5150) then type that number into the box right? Well... I have a lock so it must be right. Any ideas or is the DCII board junk and the unit a brick?

Thanks =(

My DSR4200V unit ID does start with "000". This brings me to my next question. Who is it that will authorize them? Mine already gets FP and ZK, I just want the clock to show the correct time. :D:up

Thanks for the help! Looks like my battery is dead. Odd that the unit ID would fill in with random numbers? If I replace the battery I wonder if I'll get the Unit ID back. There was another thread on satelliteguys.us where the individual replaced his battery and had a wonky unitID still but was still able to get audio but no video.

Yeah, mine starts with 000 too, like 000-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxx , in diag A just to the left of where it says something like not in support mode or something like that.

Does sound like the battery went bad or something. Strange, I have older receivers that haven't lost their battery, but I guess if it's never been plugged in ever, it's different from one that's been plugged in with no drain at all on the battery. I don't think that replacing the battery will restore the number, and the authorization status is probably not affected by the UID failure. Does the unit have 000030 firmware in it, or 7C or something like 54?

Re to clock being correct, I wouldn't think that it would help to be authorized, but I don't know for sure.

Also, should be able to tell if you're on the right transponder via the ID numbers in Diag C by comparing to the numbers someone else gets.

Unfortunate about the likely dead battery. I'm not sure if that repair center can fix the unit ID or not. I think they change batteries for less than $100. I think I had a new battery, and the audio chips replaced in mine for about $120 about 3 years ago. But they might not have the capability to restore a lost UID.
But at least if you have a place to get it authorized, maybe another cheap ebay unit might work, if you can get the seller to tell you the UID before buying. My 4200V had it's battery changed after about 12 years of service, but I have an older 4200B that never had the battery changed, and last time I checked, it was still working.

On my 4200V the minutes correct themselves from the satellite once it gets a DCII signal, the hours are always way off.

My old 410's will correct the clock to standard time when they receive trips on the counter, presumably from HITS provider 4160 on 105W. Right now in daylight time they are 1 hour off. Why they receive still send out the trips in the authorization stream for old units is beyond me, but they do. I have 2 that will receive them. Neither map to anything useful, channels get nothing.

On my 4200V the minutes correct themselves from the satellite once it gets a DCII signal, the hours are always way off.

My old 410's will correct the clock to standard time when they receive trips on the counter, presumably from HITS provider 4160 on 105W. Right now in daylight time they are 1 hour off. Why they receive still send out the trips in the authorization stream for old units is beyond me, but they do. I have 2 that will receive them. Neither map to anything useful, channels get nothing.

I just checked my 4200 on the G28 NET transponder, and you're right, it's correct to the minute, however I also notice that it's correct to the hour in UTC format. I thought perhaps that there is some setting to set your time zone, but I don't see one. So apparently you just get whatever time format the uplinker happens to be sending out. Later on, I may try that HITS transponder you mentioned to see what time IT gives me.

Well, I just tried 4160, however it is combo mode, which the 4200 won't do.

I didn't think that a 410 could do combo mode, but I guess it must if you're tuning it.

Anyway, instead, I tuned in 4120. About 15 seconds after it locked in, it set the clock, but again to UTC, not to any US time zone. Perhaps the 410 has some menu where you set your time zone??

I haven't tuned in the HITs things on my 4200 for quite a long time. Back when they used to be on Ku, before they were selling it to the 4DTVers, they used to have a VCT that had ALL the channels on ALL the transponders on that sat (with the exception of the music channels for some unknown reason).
Now, however, when I lock in 4120, the VCT only has the channels that are actually ON 4120. Anyway, I wonder why they changed that?
The wierd thing about the way it USED to be, was that those music channels for some reason were not all on the same VCT. Ie from any transponder, I could tune in ANY video channel, but I could only tune in the music channels that were actually ON that transponder, so to get to other music channels, I FIRST had to tune in a video channel on the transponder I wanted, THEN I could tune in the music channels on that transponder. It was quite complicated back before we had Lyngsat to tell us what was on each channel. I had to tune each transponder one by one, then go into the channel map window in the 1st diagostic screen (not the info charts), and it would list all the channels on that transponder, then I could go back and key in the hidden music channels. Now, however, with Lyngsat, it's easy to see where the channels are. Also, it's pretty easy using my Genpix, as all the music channels pop up in TSREADER's audio thumbnails.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts