Help with a Joey connected by WiFi experiencing intermittent pixelation, audio dropouts and stutteri

jgarrison

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 19, 2004
Preface
I just want to start this post by saying I realize this is a completely unsupported solution and understand this what I get. Hardwired via coax or cat5/6 is not a solution for me in this situation. I've done some research via searches here but have not found specific answers to the questions below.

Conditions
I recently moved a single Joey to a WiFi connection utilizing a Dish provided (originally intended to enable network access at a non-sling Hopper) USB adapter. The Joey is receiving it's feed from a Hopper w/Sling and is connected to an older wireless N router running DD-WRT. I am not in an extremely dense WiFi environment and only see two additional WiFi AP's in the area.

Issue
When the Joey in question was hardwired via Coax to the Moca network it worked without issue. Since moving to the WiFi connection, I've been having fairly consistent issues (~2 events per hour). I see random sporadic pixelation, audio dropouts and stuttering lasting generally for ~5 seconds but can occur for as long as several minutes. These events occur at seemingly random times throughout the day (not necessarily when I turn on the microwave or something else known to destroy WiFi transmission.) When the longer events occur, power cycling both the WiFi AP and the Hopper do not necessarily resolve the issue. These events do not appear to occur during large bursts of network traffic such as data transfers or high resolution streaming.

Questions
What are other WiFi users experiences? Do you see these issues?
Are there other WiFi adapters that work (potentially unsupported) that would supply a better signal strength? Perhaps one with an external antenna?
Other suggestions to try given the situation?

Thanks for your time.

My Joey on WiFi is working fine. Recommend that you use 802.11n and have an SNR of at least 25.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I would try a new router. Just updated my 5 year old "n" router for an asus "n" router (rt-n66r or something like that). I'm not running any joeys wirelessly (yet) but oh man everything on my network runs faster/smoother. Just because it's "n" doesn't mean it has the processor power/performance of a newer "n" router. Just a thought. It solved all my problems!

Thanks for the feedback thus far. The Joey interface shows a wireless connection strength of between 50-60. This doesn't seem to change around when events are occurring.

I'm thinking of trying the suggestion of upgrading the access point. I'd like one with 1000m LAN ports anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)