Help with a splitter off of a tap!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

goodrow52

Original poster
May 14, 2014
Marz
I am a having troubles with this in every house I have done this with. I have been told you can run a splitter off of a tap and it will work fine however everytime I have done this it dose not work fine. The two joeys off of the splitter will say switching from HD to SD and well as partial signal loss and other errors. The hopper also connected the tap with the splitter acts up. As soon as I remove the splitter from the tap and disconnect one of the joeys the system works fine. I have even tried switching the joeys to rule out a bad joey but the system works just as it should. Then I plug in the splitter back in and the system starts acting up again. This has done this on five houses now and the only way I have been able to solve it is to fish another line into the house and not use a tap at all. This last house I was an is using 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. There are only two rg6 cables running into the house and the tap without the splitter works fine however the splitter/tap side does not. Again as soon as the splitter is removed the system works fine minus one joey can not be used. We use holland hfs-2d 2-way splitter 5-2150mhz. Is anyone else having this trouble?

The farther your taps are located from the node the more likely you are to have issues. Don't know the thresh hold & have had moca issues when taps were far from the node.

If using taps keep them close to node as possible.

As I last stated the splitters we use are holland hfs-2d 2-way splitter 5-2150mhz. The run from dish to node is under 5' the run from node to tap is between 40' and 45' the longest run to hopper is 50'. All other hopper and joeys runs are 20' to 30'. Also Moca is all green. I know im not the only one with this problem, I was working at a house next door to another dish tech from dish and when I asked him, he said it was a known problem and that it was just known you cant run a splitter off a tap; even though dish says you can.

Last edited:
I haven't run into this problem yet. I'm not sure what is causing the issues for you. All the info I know leads me to believe that it should work just fine. As long as the fittings, splitters, TAPs, Node, and cable runs are all good there really isn't much left.

I do the very same scenario with splitters rated for 1000mhz with no issues.

Using 2 taps and a splitter is 3 components between receivers. Either use 1 tap and one splitter or 2 taps and no splitters. Here's a screen shot of the installation rules.

If someone says "I've used more than 2 components and it worked" count yourself lucky.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Attachments

• 1400258649997.jpg
    1400258649997.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 323
I have done this about 20 times. no problem ever. you are sure the tap/splitter combo is hooked up correctly?
change all cable ends, change out the tap. if that fails try changing the lnb and/or node.

I have done this about 20 times. no problem ever. you are sure the tap/splitter combo is hooked up correctly?
change all cable ends, change out the tap. if that fails try changing the lnb and/or node.

Good advice, in fact so everybody knows the length of the center conductor is supposed to be left longer than normal compared to a regular satellite install. Not everybody got the memo I'm sure.

This house I'm talking about was just built and I put all the ends on myself. The center conductor is a lot 3/16" longer then the end of the connector. The reason why I was asking this is because earlier this year I had a house that I was called to that was having the same trouble that we are having now. Their joeys were having hd lose switching to sd, and rebooting troubles. The house had two hoppers and two joeys with only 2 rg6 cables running into the house. It was set up with a dual node outside and one leg ran straight to a hopper the other into a tap and splitter. I pulled the splitter off and added a tap and the system then worked fine.

Going back to the house I am working on now. They only have 2 rg6 cables running into the house and there is no way to fish a new line. If I was to pull a tap off and use a 3-way splitter off the other tap would that work? What type of a 3-way would be needed? Does the db lose in a splitter matter because I am seeing both 3.5 and 7 dbs splitters out.

No I believe we're given 900Mhz splitters. I guess maybe I'm not fully understanding your setup there. The host port of node goes directly to the hopper. The other line running into the house cones from the client port of the node, into the 3 way splitter? Or did you have the client port capped off and you were only using one cable from the node into a tap then splitter?

Right now I am running two rg6 cables out of both host ports of the node into two taps. One tap has a splitter of the client port so all three joeys can be ran. If I remove the one tap and use a 3-way splitter would it work?

And there's no way to get a third line into the basement? Is there an air conditioner line running into the house? A lot of times you can sneak a cable in thru that hole..

Yes both client ports are capped. No there is no way, there is not a basement or crawl space. it is being ran to the center of a finished house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)