Help with a Tailgate setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pensan04

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2017
Greenville, SC
I have been tailgating since the beginning of football season with the following setup:

SL3PIG-WNC with an H24 Receiver and BBC for HD. The last game we watched TV before the game, and then after the game, we came back out to the truck and the satellite signal couldn't be found.

I have used the compass on my phone for several years and have not had any trouble finding the signal.

Instead, it seems like something is wrong with the dish itself or the coax cable. I have tried multiple coax cables, so I am starting to think its the dish.

What is strange to me is in the setup screen I swear I was allowed to chose a slimline 3, but now that option is not there. I have been choosing SL3-LNB which I think could be part of the problem.

The other problem is the signal meter option is no longer there. I mean the meter that is the rectangular bar that fills up as you adjust the dish. I cannot get to a screen.

Is this a receiver issue or an issue with the dish itself?

Please help, as our next game is Saturday, and I would like to figure this out.

As a side note, I do have another satellite = 18LNBR1-01 = that I understand I would need a power supply to get it to work. If the satellite is bad, I can try this route.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-26_21-56-16.png
    upload_2017-10-26_21-56-16.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 171
I would try setting it all up from scratch at home in the driveway and see what you get ...
If its good then you know it wasn't the recvr or cable ...
More than likely it was just mis aligned.

I have been trying tonight in the drive way. When using the SL3PIG what satellite choice should I use? I swear it was a slimline 13 (which is what it says on the dish) but that's not an option. The only option is SL3

I have tried multiple cables, so I don't think its the cable.

I just wonder could the satellite itself go bad? It's strange that it went from working very well to not working at all. I can't get a bite on the signal strength

Also if it's something with the receiver would I get a different error than 771 - Signal Strength

I will try again to see if I can get it to work as well

I have been trying tonight in the drive way. When using the SL3PIG what satellite choice should I use? I swear it was a slimline 13 (which is what it says on the dish) but that's not an option. The only option is SL3

I have tried multiple cables, so I don't think its the cable.

I just wonder could the satellite itself go bad? It's strange that it went from working very well to not working at all. I can't get a bite on the signal strength
You mean the Dish, not the Sat ... the Sat is still working great !!!!
Could it be the dish, ya, it could, but its not very likely.

You've checked most of the system, what about the LNB ?

You mean the Dish, not the Sat ... the Sat is still working great !!!!
Could it be the dish, ya, it could, but its not very likely.

You've checked most of the system, what about the LNB ?

The LNB is the part at the end of arm on the Dish that has 4 cables coming off of it correct? As far as I can tell it doesn't look damaged. I wonder if something went bad with it. I did check 3 of the 4 cables and none of them worked. I should have checked the 4th, but admittedly I was frustrated.

I did try it in the drive way with the 18LNBR1-01, and experienced the same result. Now I have never tried to find a signal with the 18LNB, and being smaller, I can imagine it's a little tougher, and I was already frustrated. But do I need some sort of power supply with that Dish?

Also, I saw this post from a few years back

The pig lnb is legacy ka/ku, not swm, so i would also recommend changing the setup to ka/ku or sl3 in settings. You do indeed need the bbc for this setup. No swm. Assuming your lnb part number is correct. Are you sure the dish is peaked correctly as well? Check your sat signals on 103c/99c. Make sure all are in at least the 80s if not 90s.

I don't have an option for Ka/Ku.. the only options are SWM or Multiswitch? Could that be a problem?

Also, I don't care about HD at this point, so can I just not use the BBC

Use multiswitch. You can remove the bbc, but as you noted, no hd then.

You will need a multi switch with that LNB, I went to one & my recievers saw as SWM, now I just use a SL3...(house burned down taking my HR20 & 24 with it)

This is the correct answer. Save yourself the trouble and get a SWM LNB. yes, you need to plug in the power inserter at the tailgate, but it's worth it in ease of setup.

You don't need a multiswitch, but you do need to choose multiswitch from the menu.

Reactions: harshness
Use Multiswitch with the 18LNBR1-01?

What is the Power Inserter? I am not familiar with those?
No, if you are using the slimline dish with the lnb that has 4 outputs, choose multiswitch in the menu during setup. A power inserter is used with a swm lnb, you have the older lnb. A swm lnb is the newer style. The 18lnbr1-01 is for the old Phase III dish that doesn't get hd channels.

No, if you are using the slimline dish with the lnb that has 4 outputs, choose multiswitch in the menu during setup. A power inserter is used with a swm lnb, you have the older lnb. A swm lnb is the newer style. The 18lnbr1-01 is for the old Phase III dish that doesn't get hd channels.

Thanks. Another question or two if you don't mind

With the 4 outputs, it doesn't matter which output I connect correct?

With the 18LNB... should it work with without the BBC converter? (I only ask because it's smaller and easier to transport, and HD is not that important).

When using the SL3PIG... do I choose SL3 on the setup screen?

Thanks
-Penn

Thanks. Another question or two if you don't mind

With the 4 outputs, it doesn't matter which output I connect correct?

With the 18LNB... should it work with without the BBC converter? (I only ask because it's smaller and easier to transport, and HD is not that important).

When using the SL3PIG... do I choose SL3 on the setup screen?

Thanks
-Penn
Any output is fine, they are the same. You don't need a bbc with the 18lnb, the bbc is only for hd setups, the 18lnb is only for sd. Yes, use sl3 for that lnb.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)