Help with C band in order to reach Intelsat 11

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gigimaimo

Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Hello everybody:

I am fearly new into the Satellite matters, but I would try to explain what I am trying to archive in order to be helped and understand what do I need to make it happen if it's possible.

I live in Las Vegas, NV. and I would like to know if it would be possible to reach Intelsat 11 and Sky from this location and what kind of equipment I will need to in order to work. I was reading that I would need a 190 cm Satellite dish. Is this information accurate or not ?... it would be possible to reach this satellite with a smaller antenna ?.... this satellite would be possible to reach it from Las Vegas, NV ?.

Thank you for the help, and I will be waiting for the answers.

Luis

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Intelsat 11 will be very difficult to receive from your location as it is only 5 degrees elevation. At this low of elevation, most any structure, tree or hill to the east will block. The lower the elevation, to more chance of interference and likely need a larger reflector.

Are you attempting to receive C-band or KU-band? C-band might be possible with a 8-10' dish and linear polarity feedhorn. KU reception footprint covers only a small section of South America, targeting Brazil and it is extremely improbable that it could be received in North America.

Yeah, you are gonna need something about twice the size of 190cm dish. :)
...and like Titanium said, then at that you may still not receive from all the terrestrial interference that low.

oh ok, so you guys suggest that would be nearly impossible to receive any signal from Intelsat 11?...... do you guys know any satellite with Latin American channels ?, I mean HTV Latino, and Latin American Chanels that I can reach from here ?

Intelsat 11 will be very difficult to receive from your location as it is only 5 degrees elevation. At this low of elevation, most any structure, tree or hill to the east will block. The lower the elevation, to more chance of interference and likely need a larger reflector.

Are you attempting to receive C-band or KU-band? C-band might be possible with a 8-10' dish and linear polarity feedhorn. KU reception footprint covers only a small section of South America, targeting Brazil and it is extremely improbable that it could be received in North America.

Titanium I was thinking about using a C band because Ku would be imposible to get it, but as I was checking on sat beam the footprint of Intelsat 11 on C band cover the area of Las Vegas, So that was the reason that I was asking if it would be posible to get it from here. thank you.

Reactions: Horsepower
Titanium I was thinking about using a C band because Ku would be imposible to get it, but as I was checking on sat beam the footprint of Intelsat 11 on C band cover the area of Las Vegas, So that was the reason that I was asking if it would be posible to get it from here. thank you.
If I am using Satbeams correctly it is showing you can get it in your area with a dish a little over 6 feet.

However, I must agree with the experts here that it will be nearly impossible to do so.

Determine if 43w is visible to your install location by using an inclinometer. Alternatively, a 12-18" piece of 1" conduit pipe and a digital angle finder with magnetic base works fine. Place the magnetic base of the digital level (angle finder) on the conduit and elevate to scan the sky between 3-8 degrees elevation and aimed at a compass reading of approximately 85-95 degrees (East).

Any thing blocking a clear sky? If the sky is clear of any blocking buildings, tree limbs, mountains, etc., there is a chance to receive 43w with a 8-10' dish. If the sky is not clear, the satellite signals will be blocked and not be available at this install location.

Satbeams site displays the estimated reflector size to receive a signal of a transponder operated at full power and a forgiving FEC. Usually an uplink is not operated at full power or with a low FEC ratio. Satbeams calculation for most satellites is over optimistic at best and doesn't show the reflector size required for reliable reception.

Last edited:
Try "SIMON BOLIVAR" AT 78°... at leastv4 central america channels i get from ca... tho weak (ull get a few percent better signal).... and check lyngsat.com north american satellites.. Us programming satellites (87°-139°) ull find some central american and latin spot beamed to this continent.... pm me anytime

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)