Help with custom DirecTV setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

VO1ONE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
First, let me explain what I got. I have two DirecTV receivers, one legacy which doesn't support 22kHz signalling, and one that does. I have a 80cm dish for 101, a Sat C kit with a custom bracket hooked onto the arm of the same 80cm dish for 110, and I have a separate dish with a single LNB for 119. The coax lead for the legacy receiver goes straight to the dual LNB on 101, and the other feed out of the 101 dual LNB goes into the 0kHz slot on a 22kHz switch, and the sat C LNB feed and the single LNB on 119 feed go into the sat C combiner which in turn go into the 22kHz position on the 22kHz switch. On the signal meter, all looks fine initally. I get 100% on 101, 80's on 8,10,12 on 110, and 90's depending on the transponder on 119. The switch seems to be doing its job. But, I'm not getting all the transponders on 119. I forget whether it was the odds or the evens right now since I'm not at home, but I can get CCTV-9, all the sat C channels/transponders, NASA, RFD, but I don't get most of the Para Todos stuff like ch 400. I then noticed on the signal meter I was missing almost half of the non spot beam transponders, all the same polarity. When I take the Sat C LNB out of the Sat C combiner, everything returns to normal, minus my 110 reception, of course. So, what's the problem?

I'll give you my assumption now. I'm assuming that since the 22kHz is powered off of the coax line where as a standard multiswitch has its own powersource that when the sat C LNB and the 119 LNB and the 22kHz switch are all drawing power that there just isn't enough current there (at the one polarity's voltage) to keep everything functioning correctly.

Other questions I have: The sat C combiner is just your everyday 2 to 1 splitter combiner you can get at Radio Shack, right? Well, provided that it's rated for the L band frequencies coming out of the LNB, that is. If this is the case, explain to me this. The Sat C LNB downshifts the 28, 30 and 32 transponders to the L band frequencies of transponders 8, 10 and 12 because DirecTV doesn't use these transponders on their 119 slot. However, Dish network does! What is to stop the dish network signals at 119 coming in through that LNB from interfering with the DirecTV signals coming out of the Sat C LNB and into the combiner? Perhaps that combiner is doing more than I'm assuming it to do.

Thanks for reading through this!

VO1ONE said:
First, let me explain what I got. I have two DirecTV receivers, one legacy which doesn't support 22kHz signalling, and one that does. I have a 80cm dish for 101, a Sat C kit with a custom bracket hooked onto the arm of the same 80cm dish for 110, and I have a separate dish with a single LNB for 119. The coax lead for the legacy receiver goes straight to the dual LNB on 101, and the other feed out of the 101 dual LNB goes into the 0kHz slot on a 22kHz switch, and the sat C LNB feed and the single LNB on 119 feed go into the sat C combiner which in turn go into the 22kHz position on the 22kHz switch. On the signal meter, all looks fine initally. I get 100% on 101, 80's on 8,10,12 on 110, and 90's depending on the transponder on 119. The switch seems to be doing its job. But, I'm not getting all the transponders on 119. I forget whether it was the odds or the evens right now since I'm not at home, but I can get CCTV-9, all the sat C channels/transponders, NASA, RFD, but I don't get most of the Para Todos stuff like ch 400. I then noticed on the signal meter I was missing almost half of the non spot beam transponders, all the same polarity. When I take the Sat C LNB out of the Sat C combiner, everything returns to normal, minus my 110 reception, of course. So, what's the problem?

I'll give you my assumption now. I'm assuming that since the 22kHz is powered off of the coax line where as a standard multiswitch has its own powersource that when the sat C LNB and the 119 LNB and the 22kHz switch are all drawing power that there just isn't enough current there (at the one polarity's voltage) to keep everything functioning correctly.

Other questions I have: The sat C combiner is just your everyday 2 to 1 splitter combiner you can get at Radio Shack, right? Well, provided that it's rated for the L band frequencies coming out of the LNB, that is. If this is the case, explain to me this. The Sat C LNB downshifts the 28, 30 and 32 transponders to the L band frequencies of transponders 8, 10 and 12 because DirecTV doesn't use these transponders on their 119 slot. However, Dish network does! What is to stop the dish network signals at 119 coming in through that LNB from interfering with the DirecTV signals coming out of the Sat C LNB and into the combiner? Perhaps that combiner is doing more than I'm assuming it to do.

Thanks for reading through this!

Um... you lost me at "First..."

Status
Please reply by conversation.