Help with dish and receiver set up...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tcube

Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Hi,
I am new to FTA. I live in Lake Worth, FL 33463. I have set up my dish(30") and have Vistar2000 DVB receiver. I have the dish pointing to the general direction of 214 deg. azimuth and 54 deg. elevation. Is this correct? Do I have to take anything else into account? I have mounted the dish about 3 ft. off of the ground on the south side of my house. I cannot mount it higher due the size of the dish. It is about 24' from my neighbor's house. I think it cleared my neighbor's roof. I am not sure if that is affecting my signal. I am not getting any signal at all. My receiver shows signal value of 92, but my signal quality is "low". I am not sure what the next step is. I have all of the information I need, but not sure how to proceed to program my receiver. The satellite that I getting signal off of is Telstar 5, I am trying to get vietnamese channel at 12177 Ver frequency; Symbol rate of 23000, LNB of 10750. When I press the Menu button on the remote control, I get 10 different Remote No. It shows in this order;

Remote No. 0 through 9 etc.
LNB LO freq. (Khz)
LNB Power (Volt)
Downlinnk freq. (Khz)
Symbol Rate
0 / 12V Mode
DiSEqC 1.0

I am familiar with LNB LO and Symbol Rate, but not familiar with other items. What value should I put in for the other items? Like I stated earlier, there are total of 10 Remote No. starting with 0 - 9 inclusive.

I am getting a "No Signal" indication. My signal value is always 92 and signal quality is always "low". No matter if I adjust the dish horizontally or vertically, these values do not change. I was told that it was supposed to. I need help. I think I've covered everything. Sorry for the lengthy explanation. I am new at this and am at a lost with all the technical stuff. Please let me know if my dish is mounted high enough to get the signal and also what I need to do to get more signal quality. Also, is my signal value acceptable? Almost forgot, I have the LNB pointing to 5 o'clock position fromt the standing point of looking from the front of the dish.

Thanks,
Tcube :eek:

Hello welcome to SatelliteGuys.US

I get the below coordinates for Telstar 5 in your area......

Azim= 214 + 6 Mag. Dev.= 220 (on compass)
Elevation =53 deg.
Pol/Skew= 30 (5 O'Clock sounds right)

If you have any pictures of your dish setup it would help, the signal level means nothing you are only looking for signal quality.

Sounds as if the dish may be just too close to next door even with such a steep elevation angle. We have a FTA area here at SatelliteGuys.US where you will get more help : )

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Tcube said:
I am trying to get vietnamese channel at 12177 Ver frequency; Symbol rate of 23000, LNB of 10750. When I press the Menu button on the remote control, I get 10 different Remote No. It shows in this order;

Remote No. 0 through 9 etc.
LNB LO freq. (Khz)
LNB Power (Volt)
Downlinnk freq. (Khz)
Symbol Rate
0 / 12V Mode
DiSEqC 1.0

ahh. the famous Viacast 2000 :)
Here is my review on this receiver
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=29301
I'll use your info above and here is how to enter it
0,1,etc
off
off

for the frequency and LO, you have to add 3 zeroes to the end (instead of 12177, its 12177000). Took me 2 weeks of cussing at this machine to figure it out :)

I know what you are going through. This is the first unit I bought. It took me like two months to get this thing going. I and Iceberg have one of these units and if I did not find this forum I might not have gotten it going, thanks Iceberg.

Do a search of this forum and you will see a number of postings about this unit. It not a bad unit it just has a number of limitations. I first got mine going by using a Dish network dish and LNB since 119 was one of the strongest and easist sats to find. Lot of FTA music too.

Feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

I have been reading a lot of postings and have been folllowing their advice, but I still getting no signal at all. I move the dish up and down slowly to bring in the signal, but nothing...

A bit frustrated at this point. Tell me if I am doing this right or not. When I press the Menu on the Vistar2000, I get to Setup and within setup there are 10 Transponder starting with 0 through 9? Is this correct? This is where I enter the frequency and symbol rate, LNB frequency information right? There are several things on there that I don't understand. Here is what I get when I press Setup

Remote No.
LNB L.O. Freq. I know what goes in here. It is always 10750 for T5
LNB Power What value should I select, 14, 18, 14+22KHz, 18+22KHz
Downlink Freq. This is where I enter the channel frequency right?
Symbol Rate For the ethnic channel that I want, it is 23000
0 /12 V Mode I don't if this should be set at OFF or what.
DiSEqC 1.0 I think I am familiar with this. This is only used if you have two or
more LNB, right?

If you or someone can let me know if I am doing this right, I really appreciate it very very much. I would like to get this thing set up so I can do some exploring.

Tcube

Thanks Peter, I will try to get you more information on my dish set up. It may be too close to neighbor's house.

Thanks Iceberg, I have read some of your posts earlier and have taken your advice to add several more zeros for the frequency and LO. Read your review and will follow those advice.

no problem
When I first got my Viacast, about 2 weeks later it almost ended up in a snowbank because I ciouldnt get it to work...then I added the 3 zeros and BAM! It worked :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts