Help with Dish connections

Trekknok

Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
California
Hello I have a slight problem. I have a dish receiver connected to my HDTV. The quality should be better sO I found out that av cables have better quality than the coaxial that I am currently using. I have tried to unplug the coaxial from the tv and receiver and plug the av cables into the tv 1 spot on the receiver and the video 1 on the tv with no picture. Is there a way to configure the tv/receiver so that it detects the av cables plugged in in stead of the coaxial? Thanks

Did you switch the input on the tv to Video 1?
Normally you will have have a button on the remote that says "Input" or "AV" or something like that.

What model receiver are you using?

You say you have a HDTV. Do you have HD service from Dish? It so you need to use HDMI cable to connect to your tv. That will give you the best possible quality.

For HD, you need either component cables or HDMI cables. The av connection is not HD. On your tv, in the menu, select channels and select satellite, then choose, which input connection that you are using into the HDTV.

For HD, you need either component cables or HDMI cables. The av connection is not HD. On your tv, in the menu, select channels and select satellite, then choose, which input connection that you are using into the HDTV.

These instructions are quite vague and I've never seen a TV menu configured that way.

Hello I have a slight problem. I have a dish receiver connected to my HDTV. The quality should be better sO I found out that av cables have better quality than the coaxial that I am currently using. I have tried to unplug the coaxial from the tv and receiver and plug the av cables into the tv 1 spot on the receiver and the video 1 on the tv with no picture. Is there a way to configure the tv/receiver so that it detects the av cables plugged in in stead of the coaxial? Thanks

More information is required before answering that. What color video 1 inputs did you hook up to? Same question for the receiver? Your best option would be the HDMI cable previously mentioned because it is very self-explanatory for hookup. First check that your TV will accept HDMI. Also, on your receiver press menu,6,HDTV setup and confirm that it is set to 1080i

Edit: of course that is only applicable if you have an HD receiver. If you don't have an HD receiver, make sure that the colors all match up on the AV cables and that you are on the correct input on your tv. What brand TV is it? Some TVs require you to switch in th menu between whether it will recognize composite or component

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts