Help with Dish set up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

re1354

Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Hello,
I'm new to FTA. I just got a captiveworks CW600S premium receiver with 90 cm Foretc dish and 0.2 db LNB. Tried to set them up on Telstar 5 and adjusted the azimuth and elevation but didn't get anything. I saw a 68% strength but 0% quality. Can anybody help me out and tell me what is wrong. BTW I live in Lafayette, IN.

Telstar five is a much harder sat to hit as such say 119 and 110, I had to play for hours but finally hit dead on after tweaking little by little.

Are there any numbers on the LNB? Once we get that info, then we can help set up the menus on the screen :)

I've done all of those, didn't help and didn't change the strength 68% and 0% quality. Might the location of dish be a problem?

I've done all of those, didn't help and didn't change the strength 68% and 0% quality. Might the location of dish be a problem?
You must have a clear Line Of Site (LOS) remember that the dish is "looking" about 24° higher than it seems to your eye. So make sure there are no trees, limbs or even leaves in the way.
Bob

Hello,
I'm new to FTA. I just got a captiveworks CW600S premium receiver with 90 cm Foretc dish and 0.2 db LNB. Tried to set them up on Telstar 5 and adjusted the azimuth and elevation but didn't get anything. I saw a 68% strength but 0% quality. Can anybody help me out and tell me what is wrong. BTW I live in Lafayette, IN.

The only time signal strength means anything is when you hook up a signal strength meter and tweek the dish to peak the meter .

You have to get signal quality to get a picture .

Wyr

That label shows that the manufacturer will print anything on the label ....

My favorite joke is:
Importer: "Do you manufacture a 0.3dB NR LNBF?"
Manufacturer: "What do you want printed on the label?"

Joking aside .....

Set the receiver to Transponder 12.177GHz. This is the strongest TP on Galaxy 25. Is the LNBF skewed to match the linear polarity? See GeoSatFinder - Satellite Finder Calculator

The following information is used to correctly align your satellite dish installed in LAFAYETTE, IN United States to receive signal from the Galaxy 25 (IA 5 / T5) (97.0 W) satellite.

Compass Reading: 199.9 deg.
Left / Right
Example_Azimuth.jpg

Dish Elevation: 42.1 deg.
Up / Down

Example_Elevation.jpg

LNBF Rotation: +11.6deg.
Clockwise / Counter-clockwise
Example_Skew_1LNBF.jpg

I spent the whole afternoon yesterday to get TElstar5, but had no luck again. Do you guys think that those signal meter would help? Also which satellite has the strongest signal? I'm afraid my LNB doesn't work properly.

I think you said it was Universal.
Well, in my limited experience with FTA receivers, there is a lot of confusion in selecting Universal, Standard, etc.
You need to manually verify the LO frequency as 10600, and that the 22khz tone is on.
If necessary, customize a setting like that just to make sure.

Once I was certain I had 22khz on from my receiver, I was able to find WhiteSprings on 129ºw just fine with a DBS signal meter.
...and that was on a 20" dish ! :)

The meters respond to any RF the LNB picks up, so getting false positives could be misleading.
As I recall, there were big false positives near the peak I needed for Galaxy 27.

This is a picture of LNB that I have(http://www.gt-sat.eu/product_1.htm) Has anybody any experience with that? I moved my dish to have a clear view using 100 ft coax cable, still I cannot get any quality and the strength is 67%. Might the long cable be a problem for getting IA25 (97 w)? When I blind scan sometimes the receiver get to 95% strength and 60% quality but then drop to 67% strength with 0% quality. Can anybody tell me if that means sth?

IA5(97w)

I just got a captiveworks CW600S premium receiver with 90 cm Foretc dish and 0.2 db LNB and trying to get IA5997w). This is a picture of LNB that I have(NEW 0.2dB!! UNIVERSAL LINEAR KU LNB GT-Sat LNBF FOR FTA - (item 220132482906 end time Jul-22-07 18:21:49 PDT)) Has anybody any experience with that? I moved my dish to have a clear view using 100 ft coax cable, still I cannot get any quality and the strength is 67%. Might the long cable be a problem for getting IA25 (97 w)? When I blind scan sometimes the receiver get to 95% strength and 60% quality but then drop to 67% strength with 0% quality and can not find any chanell. Can anybody tell me if that means sth?

merged the thread with your original

no 100 feet is not very long. I have a cable running almost 200 feet with no issues

when you blind scan it watch and see what freq comes in at 95% strength and 60% quality. you then can manually locate that freq and tune the dish with it. sounds like you are close just need to tweak it a bit.
sounds like your using a universal ( hopefully its set that way )
and if your pointing a stationary dish ( make sure the skew is set properly)

main thing is not to give up and not to get frustrated ....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)