Help with equipment when switching to D* from E*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

malligood

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Hello,

I have been a dish customer for quite sometime and thinking seriously about making the switch to D*. It appears the whole house DVR is pretty slick. My current setup is a Dish 622 and a Dish 722, output is 2 hd tv's and 2 std. I am also back feeding 2 other tv's. What equipment do I order from D* to accomplish the same setup?

Thanks in advance,

Mack

Hello,

I have been a dish customer for quite sometime and thinking seriously about making the switch to D*. It appears the whole house DVR is pretty slick. My current setup is a Dish 622 and a Dish 722, output is 2 hd tv's and 2 std. I am also back feeding 2 other tv's. What equipment do I order from D* to accomplish the same setup?

Thanks in advance,

Mack

There is no "2nd room" output on DirecTV receivers....no COAX out at all. In other words, you need a receiver in every room. Don't worry though, your monthly receiver costs will be about the same....even with MRV.

With the 622 and 722, your charges were

$00.00 1st receiver
$17.00 2nd receiver
$ 6.00 DVR Fee

$23.00

With DirecTV, monthly costs and upfront costs.

$0.00 1st Receiver HR24 HD-DVR $FREE
$5.00 2nd Receiver HR24 HD-DVR $99 (or if you get just an HD receiver to use with MRV then $FREE)
$5.00 3rd Receiver H24 HD $99 or D12 SD $FREE
$5.00 4th Receiver H24 HD $99 or D12 SD $FREE
$7.00 DVR Fee
$3.00 Whole Home DVR

$25.00

You must buy before 7/21 to get the 2nd HD receiver free or the $99 2nd HD-DVR. They are only doing the free HD-DVR after 7/21 according to a Best Buy in store flyer.

Last edited:
I have a similar setup as the OP and was considering a switch too. However, based on jaj1701's suggestion I see and issue for the TV's that would use the H24 receivers. While they would be able to use the MRV function for recorded content they would lose the ability to pause/buffer live TV.

Is that correct or can the H24's do that? I'm not particularly familiar with the D* receivers so I may have missed that feature.

Otherwise in my case I'd need 3 DVR's to retain all features which takes away a significant portion of the cost savings D* is currently offering.

I have a similar setup as the OP and was considering a switch too. However, based on jaj1701's suggestion I see and issue for the TV's that would use the H24 receivers. While they would be able to use the MRV function for recorded content they would lose the ability to pause/buffer live TV.

Is that correct or can the H24's do that? I'm not particularly familiar with the D* receivers so I may have missed that feature.

Otherwise in my case I'd need 3 DVR's to retain all features which takes away a significant portion of the cost savings D* is currently offering.

Not entirely. The work around is from the H24 to start a recording on the HR24, then you can pause/rewind/ff live tv.

In terms of going to 3 DVRs.....you only have an initial increased cost, you monthly costs don't increase if you go from regular to DVR receivers.

There is BING 40% cashback available (see my other threads) to give you 40% cashback for you upfront costs. So that should help if you end up going 3x HD-DVRs.

Are there any plans to turn on the USB port in the back on the H24 receivers? I'm thinking the Pause function could use the external drive to buffer the show being watched. The 211s do this with Dish Network.

Not being able to pause live TV would be a show stopper for me.

Not being able to pause live TV would be a show stopper for me.

You can pause live TV not a issue and you can watch live programing on any TV while recording something as well. Overall the Direct HDDVR is slimmer so is their regular HD receivers better features like the Web Apps which is cool and the local on the 8's work as well as I found out last night. Overall just better experience so far you will enjoy. :)

You can pause live TV not a issue and you can watch live programing on any TV while recording something as well. Overall the Direct HDDVR is slimmer so is their regular HD receivers better features like the Web Apps which is cool and the local on the 8's work as well as I found out last night. Overall just better experience so far you will enjoy. :)

Poke, I think he's talking about pausing Live TV and recorded shows on the H24 receiver. Can you at least STOP the show and then PLAY the show again?

BTW, I'm getting installed today. Just got home from work to wait for the installer.

Hmm you can pause recorded shows so your saying pause live TV and try pausing a recorded shows at the same time. ?? Just trying to follow what he asking our trying to make sure I understanding what he asking.. :) Cool Welcome Aboard RandallA and the Empire awaits let us know how things go... :)

Poke, I think he's talking about pausing Live TV and recorded shows on the H24 receiver. Can you at least STOP the show and then PLAY the show again?

BTW, I'm getting installed today. Just got home from work to wait for the installer.

A H24 or ANY NON DVR cannot PAUSE Live TV as it has NO HARD DRIVE for the BUFFER.
UNLESS, you have the MRV set up, then YES you can pause a H24 as the HD is being used from the HR24, at least thats how I believe it works.

A H24 or ANY NON DVR cannot PAUSE Live TV as it has NO HARD DRIVE for the BUFFER.
UNLESS, you have the MRV set up, then YES you can pause a H24 as the HD is being used from the HR24, at least thats how I believe it works.

I knew about the H24 not being able to pause live TV, there is no hard driver so it can't buffer the video stream.

I got installed today and first thing I did is play a recorded show from the HD-DVR and pause the recorded show. Yes, you can pause a recorded show. :)

I'll open a new thread to write about my install today. It was awesome. :D

Here is what I meant by pausing live TV.

With my dish dvr I am watching the game on Sunday and it's time for another beer or a bathroom break I press pause on my remote go do my thing for up to 60 minutes, come back and hit resume and never miss anything.

Here is what I meant by pausing live TV.

With my dish dvr I am watching the game on Sunday and it's time for another beer or a bathroom break I press pause on my remote go do my thing for up to 60 minutes, come back and hit resume and never miss anything.

I hear you.

The advice they are trying to give is this. When you sit down to watch your football game, from your H24, you tell your HR24 to start recording the live football game that your watching. Then you immediately start watching the "recording" of the live game. When you need a beer, you hit pause on your H24. It's that easy.

make sense?

OK,

I believe I just realized where my mistake was after reading through the first post. Let me rephrase I am in front of the TV attached to the HR24 I can pause the live TV correct? I was not paying attention that both receivers were "24".

OK,

I believe I just realized where my mistake was after reading through the first post. Let me rephrase I am in front of the TV attached to the HR24 I can pause the live TV correct? I was not paying attention that both receivers were "24".

Yes, the HR-24 is a DVR and you can pause Live TV.

OK,

yes you can

Directv can confuse it by using the same model # for both a DVR and a non DVR

HR units are DVR
H or D units are not

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)