Help with HD antenna please!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stellar832000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
San Antonio
I had an installer bring out an HD antenna and when he installed it I was getting no signal from the antenna, we tried everything to fix it (puting it up higher, rotating, moving to a different location, we even tried a different antenna, but nothing) to make a long story short the installer came back four times and never got it to work, does anyone have any suggestions, when i try to view my locals in hd on my H20 it just says searching for signal....is there anything else i can try? I know my area is close enough to recieve the channels because there are people that live further than me that use the HD antenna and it works for them...

Are you running a line from the TV antenna to the H20 or are you diplexing the antenna in? Where are you located zip code please? What are you trying to install for an antenna brand and model please?

How was it connected? What is you zip? We need to determine:

1. If it was properly connected
2. Your distance from the towers
3. What affiliates are transmitting
4. If he supplied the correct antenna for the above
5. If your antenna was pointed in the correct heading

OK I am running the cable directly from the antenna to the H20 absolutely no stops or redirections in between, my zip code is 78059 the antenna is a Winegard with built in amplifier and I don't know where to find the model number...thanks for any help you guys can offer...

Is it the "bat-wing" looking design? I think that is a VERY BAD antenna given your AntennaWeb report on distances of 35 - 40 miles. You need something more like the Winegard HD7084P .

Call Sign-----Channel-----Network-----City/State-----Heading-----Distance-----FreqAssignment

KRRT-DT 35.1 WB KERRVILLE TX 348° 29.0 32
KPXL-DT 26 i UVALDE TX 331° 31.9 26 TBD
KABB-DT 29.1 FOX SAN ANTONIO TX 72° 35.4 30
KBEJ-DT 2 UPN FREDERICKSBURG TX 5° 66.8 2 (VHF low) TBD
KHCE-DT 16.1 TBN SAN ANTONIO TX 72° 36.3 16
KSAT-DT 12.1 ABC SAN ANTONIO TX 74° 35.9 48
KWEX-DT 41.1 UNI SAN ANTONIO TX 72° 36.2 39
KVDA-DT 38.1 TEL SAN ANTONIO TX 72° 36.2 38

Last edited:
Yep, not the greatest; look to upgrade to that model I listed above OR look at these for great UHF ONLY after you confirm that lone VHF low affiliate as it is listed as TBD and not yet transmitting.

Antennas Direct 91XG $79
Winegard HD 9095P $84
Winegard PR 8800 $39
Channel Master CM 4228 $49
Channel Master CM 3023 $44
Channel Master CM 3671 $100
Terrestrial Digital DB8 $99

Last edited:
Hd Antenna

stellar832000 said:
I had an installer bring out an HD antenna and when he installed it I was getting no signal from the antenna, we tried everything to fix it (puting it up higher, rotating, moving to a different location, we even tried a different antenna, but nothing) to make a long story short the installer came back four times and never got it to work, does anyone have any suggestions, when i try to view my locals in hd on my H20 it just says searching for signal....is there anything else i can try? I know my area is close enough to recieve the channels because there are people that live further than me that use the HD antenna and it works for them...

I have a channel master cm4228- check out the specs. It is one of the top rated uhf antennas. I also use a pre amp. cost for antenna and pre amp is about 125 us. I pick up stations in a 70 mile radius. If you have stations broadcasting in the low channels like 2-6 you need a really big uhf/vhf antenna. Keep in mind many stations broad cast hd signals in uhf band even though they show up in vhf range on your set.

good luck

John

stellar832000 said:
Here is a link to a picture of the antenna i am using this is just a picture that looks like it, this is not the auctual model http://www.marksrv.com/antenna/wgantenna.jpg
Crappy antenna.

Just get a decent UHF antenna (there is no such thing as a "digital or HDTV" antenna).

A properly installed channel master CM 4221 or 4228 would likely fix your problem. Try Stark Electronics or warrenelectronics online.

$25 UHF antenna from radio shack is all you need. I hate these "you have to have a special hd antenna" people that try to Bullsh!t you into thinking you need something special.

Adubya said:
$25 UHF antenna from radio shack is all you need. I hate these "you have to have a special hd antenna" people that try to Bullsh!t you into thinking you need something special.

UH WHAT!?!.... While very true there is no such thing as a "HD or digital antenna" but there are a few factors that people need to know and consider to lead them to the CORRECT antenna for their particular needs. You can't just go into a Radio Shack an grab any $25 UHF antenna and get it to work perfectly correct; you did because that was your situation. Everyone's situation can be a bit different.

Some people have VHF High and/or VHF Low digital affiliates in addition to UHF.
Not everyone is within 25 miles or less from the transmitter(s).
Sometimes not all transmitters are at the same heading.
Sometimes the affiliate(s) is at reduced power; needing a larger antenna than distance would suggest.
Not everyone wants an indoor model.
Maybe they want a higher gain model so they can hide in the attic as opposed to a roof mount.

The "just get a $25 UHF Radio Shack antenna is all you need" comment is just as bad of advise at the "get a HD specific antenna" comment.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)